Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 01:25 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Whole fruit makes more sense for nutrients, including fiber.
Indeed. BTW, I agree with you regarding juice levels creeping up. Especially if it's someone else giving it.

I know I may sound a tad overzealous to some, but it's really not worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 01:26 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
the table food is just my thing. I make all her baby food with a blender and I dont want her to get into the habit of everytime I eat something she wants it too because shes used to eating WITH me. (sort of the whole dog begging thing) But mostly im waiting for at least 1 tooth to come in before we upgrade her.
It's actually very convenient to feed the baby what you eat, when you eat. You can get a little food chopper and just mash up the food until she can chew it. Getting a tooth won't make any difference in what she is able to eat, you can't bite anything with a single tooth and they get their front teeth first, not the molars.

The difference between a dog begging for food and your child is that your dog has to be told no so that it knows its place in the family pack, and the dog will not ever be expected to eat table food for nourishment. Your child should learn to eat with you...it keeps her busy while you eat, it's cheaper, faster and easier to only be preparing one meal at a time.

Of course, I don't know exactly how old your child is. If she's just six months, or if food allergies run in your family, then of course she should be introduced to foods gradually. By the time she's one, it would be ideal if she was eating what you ate, just chopped fine enough for her to eat it easily.

Also about the juice...I never thought juice was good for kids, never gave it to my daughter because I thought it was basically just sugar water. My daughter doesn't grow as quickly as other kids, she's in less than the 3rd percentile for height and has been for 4 years. I started giving her a glass of juice a day, and she had a little growth spurt, grew about two inches in a month, which is a huge deal for us. I don't know if the juice and the growth spurt were a coincidence, but she's never had an actual growth spurt before. I would definitely water the juice down for a baby, and limit it to one cup a day, followed by brushing her gums, and I totally agree with you about the bottle, but I think juice might actually be pretty good for kids.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:43 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
You can get vitamins and nutrients from food without the additional sugar that's in juice. Juice is all sugar. There's no need for babies to have juice (except maybe in some extenuating circumstances, as per somebodynew's post). Water is just fine for babies.

Trust me, it's not worth the risk.
It's not ALL sugar lol, it depends on the juice! A lot of things babies don't need but it's not really going to kill them.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:44 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Whole fruit makes more sense for nutrients, including fiber.
Your correct it does but i was pointing out to the fact she claimed there was nothing beneficial about juice which isn't true.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:59 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
This. How awesome that you have a person who loves and wants to spend time with your daughter! *So many* families don't have this - is it worth a diminished relationship to enforce YOUR way? These practices just a few times a week won't really affect your daughter - but the love she gets WILL have a great impact on her life. I wouldn't feel this way if your mom was abusive, or yelled, but it sounds like she's mostly reasonable and loving.

These things - the juice, the food - are minor, minor, minor in the life of a child, but the love of and relationship with a grandma is HUGE.

Your daughter will know grandma's is different, that she gets things there she wouldn't normally get, and these things can either be something sweet and special, or a point of contention. Your call.
Exactly. I wish every single day my mom was here to spoil my daughter. Believe me, this is not a big deal. You are the mom and have the right, authority, and privilege to raise your dd however you see fit, and no one can change that or take it away. What your mother does at her house can't change that. Your dd will know that Granny may let her have something, but Mom will not. And she will know when Mom is there, her word overrules Grandma's.

If your mother was doing something harmful to the baby, I would advise that you put your foot down or don't take your dd over there. But this? Please, enjoy the time with your mom, and let your dd enjoy having time with her granny. Don't let something so inconsequential put a cloud over the relationship. One day, you will look back and realize how lucky you are.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
It's not ALL sugar lol, it depends on the juice! A lot of things babies don't need but it's not really going to kill them.
LK, juice is sugar. There's nothing special about the vitamins in juice that you can't get into a baby from other sources.

It doesn't really depend what kind of juice. Juice has as much sugar as soda, most of the time. Go check a juice bottle label sometime.

And it does harm, for goodness' sake. Babies' teeth are highly susceptible to decay. So please don't feed the line that it's not going to kill them so it's okay.

Quote:
Childhood tooth decay, technically known as Early Childhood Caries or ECC, is the number one chronic childhood disease in the U.S. today
BRANAM : Healthy Smiles For Life | Primer for Parents, education, information, tooth decay, ECC, facts, statistics, CDC, Early Childhood Caries, pH, snacks, foods, tips, mothers-to-be, sippy cups, pacifiers, pacifier usage, Did You Know

Old 06-12-2012, 02:06 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Exactly. I wish every single day my mom was here to spoil my daughter. Believe me, this is not a big deal. You are the mom and have the right, authority, and privilege to raise your dd however you see fit, and no one can change that or take it away. What your mother does at her house can't change that. Your dd will know that Granny may let her have something, but Mom will not. And she will know when Mom is there, her word overrules Grandma's.

If your mother was doing something harmful to the baby, I would advise that you put your foot down or don't take your dd over there. But this? Please, enjoy the time with your mom, and let your dd enjoy having time with her granny. Don't let something so inconsequential put a cloud over the relationship. One day, you will look back and realize how lucky you are.
And one of the sweetest treats of grand parenting is a little spoilage. Let the spoilage be over somethign small like a little juice.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:25 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
LK, juice is sugar. There's nothing special about the vitamins in juice that you can't get into a baby from other sources.

It doesn't really depend what kind of juice. Juice has as much sugar as soda, most of the time. Go check a juice bottle label sometime.

And it does harm, for goodness' sake. Babies' teeth are highly susceptible to decay. So please don't feed the line that it's not going to kill them so it's okay.

BRANAM : Healthy Smiles For Life | Primer for Parents, education, information, tooth decay, ECC, facts, statistics, CDC, Early Childhood Caries, pH, snacks, foods, tips, mothers-to-be, sippy cups, pacifiers, pacifier usage, Did You Know
Moderation and care is always the key. And that's the problem with most people today is that they don't take care of themselves very well... its not really surprising such bad habits are being passed down to their children. I was just reading an article that was talking about by 2020, 83% of men and 72% of women will be overweight or obese; that 77% of men and 53% of women will have dysglycemia (pre-diabetes/diabetes). (Article: On Track to Getting Even Fatter : Northwestern University Newscenter ). Its no wonder why more children are having decayed teeth, they're being taken care by a lot of people who don't take care of themselves.

The OP should seek her doctor's opinion in this case... and the odds are he'll say what we've been saying: give the (diluted) juice, brush the gums. (Or he could not, again... a consult with a professional is called for.) Of course, she should always do with what she's comfortable with, but she needs to do/proceed with all the facts and information possible.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Moderation and care is always the key. And that's the problem with most people today is that they don't take care of themselves very well... its not really surprising such bad habits are being passed down to their children.

I was just reading an article that was talking about by 2020, 83% of men and 72% of women will be overweight or obese; that 77% of men and 53% of women will have dysglycemia (pre-diabetes/diabetes). (Article: On Track to Getting Even Fatter : Northwestern University Newscenter ). Its no wonder why more children are having decayed teeth, they're being taken care by a lot of people who don't take care of themselves.

The OP should seek her doctor's opinion in this case... and the odds are he'll say what we've been saying: give the (diluted) juice, brush the gums. (Or he could not, again... a consult with a professional is called for.) Of course, she should always do with what she's comfortable with, but she needs to do/proceed with all the facts and information possible.
Meanwhile, here the OP is trying not to to that very thing, and you are encouraging it.

Moderation and care is not "always the key". Sometimes, a bit of bad luck falls in there as well.

So when we're talking about a baby who doesn't even eat whole foods yet and doesn't have all their teeth, there's no need for the Grandma to feed juice.

If the child's teeth are compromised in anyway and she happens to get the bacteria, then we're talking about an infection that is costs thousands and thousands of dollars to remedy in a toddler and causes a lot of heartbreak for the parents.

Sugary drinks and starchy foods are the prime incubators. You would have to brush the gums after every juice drink to be sure. If grandma isn't listening about the juice, do you think she's going to take that to heart?

Babies don't need sugary drinks, period. The OP is right in this instance, I'm not sure why everyone is trying to change her mind on it.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:15 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
I am getting to frustrated !! IM a single mom for the most part ( dad is somewhat there but mostly not) and so my mom helps alot. Shes a life saver idk how I could make it without her. She helps when funds are low she watches her everyother friday so I can have free time and she gets her probably 2-3 times a week after she gets off work for about an hour or 2.

Well the problem is we do NOT agree on parenting. Im very by the book for the most part. She isnt. For example I told her NO TABLE FOOD what did she do give her mashed potatos I told her NO JUICE until shes 2 and I walk in and shes pouring some into a bottle. A BOTTLE!!! Trinitee hasnt used a bottle since she was 6 months old. Thats what tipped the iceburg. My mom says she doesnt like the sippy cup. Well she never seems to mind when shes with me. I didnt even know my mom still had a bottle I threw all mine out. Ughh and everytime my mom keeps her overnight the next day she comes back sooooo cranky. If I dont pick her up she crys. She isnt like that.

I appreciate my mom for all that she has done and is still doing for me and Trinitee but come on IM the mom how do I get her to realize that? The bottle is what killed me because im scared now she will want it over the cup.
My advice is to cave on the mashed potatoes (perhaps I am still fuzzy on why your daughter's isn't allowed to have them) but to stay firm about the bottle and juice. And if the Parenting board can prove one thing, it's that parents tend to think that they raised their own kids fine, so your mom might be feeling a little hurt or offended that the way she raised you is not good enough for your your child. We're always learning, about seat belts and nutrition and all kinds of stuff. Every parent should be open to the idea that "common sense" may change over time (and often does!) ... however, that's easier said than done. I recommend you approach the subject with humility and gratitude, instead of a power play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting