Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 03:32 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times

Advertisements

Oh please... You are being ridiculously overzealous. You're bringing up articles to support your case and I'm telling you that there are people out there who are giving pops (and Tang, and Red bulls, et. c) to their young ones-- and they're being included in your kind of studies (hence me bringing up a study that people in general aren't taking care of themselves as well as they should). Milk has sugar in it-- and Soy milk too as you pointed out... what's next you're advocating that she not give her kid any milk because of a potential tooth decay?

I stated simply I thought her approach/thought to juice is odd (a bit too extreme) and that it was possible to enjoy juices in a healthy and reasonable manner.

OP doesn't have to listen to me. She also doesn't have to listen to you. She can ask her doctor for his opinion on the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Meanwhile, here the OP is trying not to to that very thing, and you are encouraging it.

Moderation and care is not "always the key". Sometimes, a bit of bad luck falls in there as well.

So when we're talking about a baby who doesn't even eat whole foods yet and doesn't have all their teeth, there's no need for the Grandma to feed juice.

If the child's teeth are compromised in anyway and she happens to get the bacteria, then we're talking about an infection that is costs thousands and thousands of dollars to remedy in a toddler and causes a lot of heartbreak for the parents.

Sugary drinks and starchy foods are the prime incubators. You would have to brush the gums after every juice drink to be sure. If grandma isn't listening about the juice, do you think she's going to take that to heart?

Babies don't need sugary drinks, period. The OP is right in this instance, I'm not sure why everyone is trying to change her mind on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 03:42 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
All I can say is that none of this will seem important once your child grows up. You will face far FAR worse and laugh about the silly things you used to get upset over. We all did it.
The only thing you ever get from trying to make life follow your rules is frustration. Is your child safe? Is she loved? If yes then try not to worry about the rest of it.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:13 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Oh please... You are being ridiculously overzealous. You're bringing up articles to support your case and I'm telling you that there are people out there who are giving pops (and Tang, and Red bulls, et. c) to their young ones-- and they're being included in your kind of studies (hence me bringing up a study that people in general aren't taking care of themselves as well as they should). Milk has sugar in it-- and Soy milk too as you pointed out... what's next you're advocating that she not give her kid any milk because of a potential tooth decay?
Her mother wants to give a young baby juice in a bottle. It's just as bad sugar-wise for the teeth as giving pops. Or Tang, or Red Bull. The only thing you should be giving in any type of bottle or sippy cup is water.

You don't understand the gravity of toddler tooth decay if you haven't been through it. In order to treat the child, they have to go under general anesthetic and it is extremely traumatic and not covered by insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I stated simply I thought her approach/thought to juice is odd (a bit too extreme) and that it was possible to enjoy juices in a healthy and reasonable manner.

OP doesn't have to listen to me. She also doesn't have to listen to you. She can ask her doctor for his opinion on the matter.
No she doesn't. And quite frankly, the person she should be asking is her pediatric dentist, not her pediatrician. Our pediatrician is the one who gave us the bad call on the soy milk.

I know you think it's extreme, but you haven't been through it. Enjoying juice or any sweet drinks is not worth the price you and the child may have to pay for it later.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:07 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times
Your mom raised you and you turned out fine, right? How old is Trinitee now? If she is past 6-9mths, the table food won't harm her. You can't believe everything you read in those baby books. Just be thankful, and grateful, you have a parent who is there for her, even if she doesn't always do things "your" way

Old 06-12-2012, 10:45 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,928 times
Directed towards the poster,

Here is an article I found that was pretty diplomatic about the juice subject, the pros and cons and how juice is not "bad" for children if consumed responsibly and appropriately,

Fruit Juice - How Much Juice Is Too Much?

Old 06-13-2012, 06:13 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
Blame it on the pediatrician. Just keep saying "my pediatrician says". I don't get the mashed potatoes thing either. She doesn't need teeth to eat mashed potatoes - it's basically a puree. The juice I am behind you on. I have no idea why people pour juice down children's throats. There is absolutely nothing beneficial in juice that you can't get from a better source. And it has no place in an infants diet.

But I wouldn't worry about her "suddenly" going back to the bottle. Because clearly your Mom has been doing this all along.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:40 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
I think if you're unhappy with how your mom cares for your child, you shouldn't leave your child with her for those lengths of time -- overnight? And 2-3 times a week? And free?

Like it or not when someone takes in your child for that kind of time and that frequently, they're going to do some things their own way, do what works for them. Part of the fun growing up was having grandparents who bent the rules.

If you really think grandma isn't up to the job, maybe don't turn over the child to her so often or for so long.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:53 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
I also don't get the mashed potatoes thing. I preferred to give my kids table food over purees, but mashed potatoes is basically a puree anyway. I'd give it any time 6+ months.

As for the juice, I'm with you there. I don't think there is any reason to give juice to a baby. My doctor prefers water or milk. Juice is acceptable in small quantities, but not preferred. If we want to give juice, my doc prefers it to be orange juice since that is more nutritious than apple and you know that it is actual juice as opposed to "juice drink". It's not just about teeth, but also obesity. We were at a festival and my kids had water in their cups, and another parent came and asked me how do I get my kids to drink water because hers will only drink juice. I was like, uh, I just don't really give them juice very often.

As for your mother, I would tell her that it is your baby, your rules, and she needs to respect that or she won't be caring for your baby alone. Are you sure that she knows that you don't want her to have these things? Or is it possible that she think that you just don't want to deal with those things for yourself? Like you don't want to clean up after her if she eats table food, but if someone else is happy to do it then that would be fine, vs you don't want her ingesting XYZ period.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:10 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I also don't get the mashed potatoes thing. I preferred to give my kids table food over purees, but mashed potatoes is basically a puree anyway. I'd give it any time 6+ months.

As for the juice, I'm with you there. I don't think there is any reason to give juice to a baby. My doctor prefers water or milk. Juice is acceptable in small quantities, but not preferred. If we want to give juice, my doc prefers it to be orange juice since that is more nutritious than apple and you know that it is actual juice as opposed to "juice drink". It's not just about teeth, but also obesity. We were at a festival and my kids had water in their cups, and another parent came and asked me how do I get my kids to drink water because hers will only drink juice. I was like, uh, I just don't really give them juice very often.

As for your mother, I would tell her that it is your baby, your rules, and she needs to respect that or she won't be caring for your baby alone. Are you sure that she knows that you don't want her to have these things? Or is it possible that she think that you just don't want to deal with those things for yourself? Like you don't want to clean up after her if she eats table food, but if someone else is happy to do it then that would be fine, vs you don't want her ingesting XYZ period.

This caught my attention, as when my kids were smaller, (they're 9 & 12 now) we were advised NOT to give them OJ, due to it's acidic content until they were older than 3.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:23 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
OK got through all the responses!! THANKS guys I love that I can come here to vent.

the table food is just my thing. I make all her baby food with a blender and I dont want her to get into the habit of everytime I eat something she wants it too because shes used to eating WITH me. (sort of the whole dog begging thing) But mostly im waiting for at least 1 tooth to come in before we upgrade her.

The juice and bottle situation are NOT up fr discussion. Both for reason of teeth. (I didnt know not to put a sippy in the bed at night with them thanks for letting me know on another thread) Plus I want her to like water and if she drinks juice she probably wont want water anymore.

Im just going to sit her down with a few printed materials so she can see my point with the juice and bottle thing. The food we may be able to work something out.

I love you guys
I'd reconsider the "table food"thing.

I guess you could say my daughter "begs" - if she sees us eating something, she will come up and ask "taste, please" or "bite, bite, please" . She's been doing this since she was able to walk. I don't see it as a bad thing, and I'm a pretty "crunchy" mom by most people's standards. All of her baby food was homemade - but for the most part, before she had teeth, I just ran everything we ate thru the blender.

When we were away from home , before she got teeth, I carried a small portable hand blender with me or asked that her food be coked a little more through so it was easier to mush

I think that people's paletes are set or developed pretty early - npr did a great article about how what you eat when pregnant can have an effect!

Baby's Palate And Food Memories Shaped Before Birth : NPR

When my daughter was young - I got a lot of help from the neighbors on either side of us - we ate alot of meals with our Indian neighbors and our Thai neighbor brought over meals from his parents restaurant. In addition - I cook alot and a very varied menu.

My daughter will eat just about anything (even things that most babies/toddlers won't) and she'll try a bite of everything put in front of her.

It's better for her - she'll eat all kinds of veggies and fruits, but it makes life much easier and more enjoyable for me. My husband travels alot for work, all over the world and we (daughter and I often go with him). Not having to find or prepare her food while on the road - so much better dealing with a picky eater. (My nephews are the ultimate picky eaters - when they come here, a good part of the visit revoles around finding them something to eat or having to eat what they want - ugh - Little Ceasars pizza or McD's)

The other day - I had to run to a store a few towns over, I found it was surrounded by Indian businesses - so we popped into an Indian grocery and shared a Mango Lassi. I took her to a Greek Festival to see dancing and hear live music - didn't pack any food because I know she LOVES Hummus and Pita Bread. We lived for several years in Japan, we're heading to Hawaii for the third time this year in a few weeks - they have great Hawaiin/Japanese food there; again - easy to find something healthy that she'll eat. If I head to the farmers market - she'll eat fresh fruit and veggies there or maybe split some Sambusas or Lumpia with me.

I guess my point is - why make life harder on yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting