Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:27 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
This caught my attention, as when my kids were smaller, (they're 9 & 12 now) we were advised NOT to give them OJ, due to it's acidic content until they were older than 3.
same here, if for no other reason, bad diaper rash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 10:31 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
This caught my attention, as when my kids were smaller, (they're 9 & 12 now) we were advised NOT to give them OJ, due to it's acidic content until they were older than 3.
We were told to wait until around 12-15 months for OJ (and tomatoes) due to the acidity. I don't think babies under 12 months really need juice at all anyway. But my kids are 3 and 6 now, so they have OJ now.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:32 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I'd reconsider the "table food"thing.

I guess you could say my daughter "begs" - if she sees us eating something, she will come up and ask "taste, please" or "bite, bite, please" . She's been doing this since she was able to walk. I don't see it as a bad thing, and I'm a pretty "crunchy" mom by most people's standards. All of her baby food was homemade - but for the most part, before she had teeth, I just ran everything we ate thru the blender.

When we were away from home , before she got teeth, I carried a small portable hand blender with me or asked that her food be coked a little more through so it was easier to mush

I think that people's paletes are set or developed pretty early - npr did a great article about how what you eat when pregnant can have an effect!

Baby's Palate And Food Memories Shaped Before Birth : NPR

When my daughter was young - I got a lot of help from the neighbors on either side of us - we ate alot of meals with our Indian neighbors and our Thai neighbor brought over meals from his parents restaurant. In addition - I cook alot and a very varied menu.

My daughter will eat just about anything (even things that most babies/toddlers won't) and she'll try a bite of everything put in front of her.

It's better for her - she'll eat all kinds of veggies and fruits, but it makes life much easier and more enjoyable for me. My husband travels alot for work, all over the world and we (daughter and I often go with him). Not having to find or prepare her food while on the road - so much better dealing with a picky eater. (My nephews are the ultimate picky eaters - when they come here, a good part of the visit revoles around finding them something to eat or having to eat what they want - ugh - Little Ceasars pizza or McD's)

The other day - I had to run to a store a few towns over, I found it was surrounded by Indian businesses - so we popped into an Indian grocery and shared a Mango Lassi. I took her to a Greek Festival to see dancing and hear live music - didn't pack any food because I know she LOVES Hummus and Pita Bread. We lived for several years in Japan, we're heading to Hawaii for the third time this year in a few weeks - they have great Hawaiin/Japanese food there; again - easy to find something healthy that she'll eat. If I head to the farmers market - she'll eat fresh fruit and veggies there or maybe split some Sambusas or Lumpia with me.

I guess my point is - why make life harder on yourself?
That's fantastic. When MissFR was just under two, her favorite foods were mussels and saag paneer. Although not together. I think the kids food menus are appalling. Not all kids will only eat hot dogs and fries. I had a friend who was an avid vegetable gardener OTOH, and her child wouldn't eat anything green at all, even though she'd been exposed to everything. Just shows it can be innate, our personal taste.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:21 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I get the juice thing. I understand juice is pretty much just a nutritionally void mix of water and sugar. People drink it and give it to kids as a 'healthy' alternative to soda. Rots your teeth too. That's wrong. Unless they are juicing the fruit themselves.

About the bottle, the next time you are at your Mom's house, just throw it away. Don't make a big deal about it, just do it. Don't worry about a couple tastes of mashed potatoes. The child is going to want whatever is on your plate for the rest of her life anyway.

Everyone has ideas on how to raise a child. Granny has the baby 10 hours a week and you have her the rest of the time. Things will never be exactly the same at both places and that's a good thing. You and your child just need to enjoy your time off and experiencing new things. Part of Granny's job is to spoil the kid a little. Kids tend to get a bit cranky whenever their routines are interrupted. It's just something they need to adapt to at a young age. It will happen for the rest of their lives.

As long as the baby is safe and healthy with Granny it's no big deal. All the important needs are being met. Pick and choose your battles and only fight the ones that are really important.

All my grandparents are gone now and I will always miss them. I'm glad I had the chance to get to know and spend time with them. That's important. And yes, over the years they did slip me some treats now and then. One of them took me to my first candy store. A revelation I never forgot. And my Mom was more than a little upset... But we all survived!
excellant post yellowsnow......I agree.....

Old 06-14-2012, 11:27 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times
Maybe you could compromise on the juice thing(never in a bottle) ask your Mom to at least cut the juice with water and as a very special treat. My mom wanted to give my boys juice and instead of saying no I would do mostly water with a splash of juice (grandma was happy and i was happy). As for food, my children always ate what we ate when it came time for soft foods and solids it was just easier that way.

Last edited by michelleleigh; 06-14-2012 at 11:37 PM..

Old 06-15-2012, 10:18 PM

973 posts, read 2,142,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
OK got through all the responses!! THANKS guys I love that I can come here to vent.

the table food is just my thing. I make all her baby food with a blender and I dont want her to get into the habit of everytime I eat something she wants it too because shes used to eating WITH me. (sort of the whole dog begging thing) But mostly im waiting for at least 1 tooth to come in before we upgrade her.

The juice and bottle situation are NOT up fr discussion. Both for reason of teeth. (I didnt know not to put a sippy in the bed at night with them thanks for letting me know on another thread) Plus I want her to like water and if she drinks juice she probably wont want water anymore.

Im just going to sit her down with a few printed materials so she can see my point with the juice and bottle thing. The food we may be able to work something out.

I love you guys
FWIW, my DD didn't get her 1st tooth until she was 17 1/2 mos, it didn't stop her from eating just about anything. Lol

I don't blame you on the bottle. My bestie's mil kept giving her almost 2yo son a bottle after my friend had her son off the bottle. She kept saying he 'needed' it. I didn't give my kids juice until they were 2, and then, it was 1/4 juice, and 3/4 water. Lol my kids, now 7 and 8, still don't drink pop. I got a lot of 'I don't restrict my kids from anything.' or other comments. It was the same with other choices I made. It's just what I did. It doesn't mean I'm 'right', think I'm better than others, just what I do. Lol

Though, it is hard to tell a parent you don't agree with some of their parenting techniques. Could you take any bottles out of her house? Lol or, maybe go part way, and have your mom do the 1/4 juice, 3/4 water? It also makes the juice last longer. Lol

Old 06-15-2012, 10:19 PM

973 posts, read 2,142,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
Maybe you could compromise on the juice thing(never in a bottle) ask your Mom to at least cut the juice with water and as a very special treat. My mom wanted to give my boys juice and instead of saying no I would do mostly water with a splash of juice (grandma was happy and i was happy). As for food, my children always ate what we ate when it came time for soft foods and solids it was just easier that way.
Lol I didn't read all the responses and had to that someone posted about juice with water right above mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting