Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 06:16 PM

13,291 posts, read 9,816,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
What about equalizing it to this justification for murderous revenge?

You can't have it both ways. You make distinctions, or you don't make them.

You want to say that all inappropriate sexual attention justifies immediate execution on the spot? Is there a gray area between "boo boo" and "savagely raped for hours and strangled"? Where do you draw the line?

Show me where I said that.

Once a child is molested, there arem't any "you wants" -- everything that happens after that is bad, and you choose the least of the evils.

Half the women in the US report that they were inappropriately touched in their childhood. Nearly all grew up pretty normal and unscarred. How many of them do you think would tell you now that it would have been better for their emotional development to have been forced to watch one human being brutally murdering another one before their very eyes?

One in particular that comes to mind, a good friend of mine. She was fondled by a neighbor in her childhood. She also found her brother's body in his pickup truck where he had committed suicide. If she could have one of those memories erased from her mind, see if you can guess which one it would be. I'm not saying being fondled is fine, I'm saying there are worse things that can traumatize a child, and watching someone being murdered by her own father is one of them. How do you think she will live with that? Even worse, now she has both of them. Nothing got fixed.
You have the benefit of both hindsight and distance with which to come to your ever so rational conclusions about what you think is better for the child.

The dad reacted in the heat of the moment in defense of his child while the actual offense was taking place. There's no time to sit down and reason it all out in that situation. And you need to factor in gut horror and disgust, along with anger and fear for his child into all that. There's no time to sit and think "well I wonder if my daughter would be less traumatized if I just did this instead."

And let's get one thing straight here, the Dad will have to live with killing another human being - along with seeing that happen to his little girl - the rest of his life, and the only person that deserves blame for that is the child rapist.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:37 PM

691 posts, read 2,150,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It had to do with your bizarre and disturbing view of child molestation:

I am responding to maybe dozens of posters, I can't keep them all straight anymore, who are saying that ALL molestation can be justifiably addressed by the same kind of uncontrolled rage that was demonstrated in this Texas incident. Now, there is a bizarre and disturbing view of child molestation.

At the risk of boring you with an anecdote, I once knew a family who had a family picnic, and an uncle sitting in a lawn chair playfully swatted a little girl on the behind with a magazine when she walked by. Months later, she was asked at school to report anyone who had ever touched here where her bathing suit covers. She recounted the incident. The school instituted action, the uncle spent three years in prison, despite endless efforts by the family to downplay the situation to reflect reality. The girl experienced absolutely no emotional trauma, UNTIL she was told that she had been "molested" (a word she's never heard before) and the perp would pay dearly for it.

And I gather that there are people on this forum who would have been unable to control their rage, and would have beaten the uncle to death. Because, after all, it fit the technical and legal definition of "molest". Therefore, exactly the same magnitude as savagely raping and strangler her. But it looks like the uncle got off easy, because he didn't strangle her.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 36,999,023 times
Here's what it boils down to Mr. Stern:

You see the father as a "murderous revenger".

I see a father who pulled a half-naked man off his child while the man was committing a brutal rape. No way I'm calling him a murderous revenger. In fact, the more I read your stomach-turning justifications for telling us why this man was wrong the more I want to give him a medal for protecting his daughter.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:40 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,546,805 times
I think if the discussion needs to continue about whether the father's actions were justified, it needs to go in Great Debates. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting