Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 06:23 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times

Advertisements

Do you ever think of how lucky your kids are to be growing up in these times. I am here looking at pics of my kids in England, Ireland and france and just thinking they are so lucky to see the world outside their normal routine. They are very good kids most of the time and never really give us a major hard time. They are good in school and bring home all kinds of grades but mostly A's and B's. They are really close with eachother and actually like to spend time with us (at least thats the illusion we are under).

We are the lucky ones. We get to share this world with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 11:53 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,969,228 times
I have to disagree with you there. These times are not the best to be living in. Aside from the economy issues, it's just generally worse to be a kid now than when I was younger. The TV is horrible, the toys are junk, and even video games now are just bleh compared to back in the NES and SNES days.

No I think it was better back in the day when you could go over to a friend's place without having to have your parents sign a waiver in case you get hurt in the pool or on the trampoline. Things were safer back then, and no one was sue happy or afraid of being sued.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:10 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,191,907 times
I am happy to be raising my daughter during these times. I have access to ideas outside my immediate circle and have replaced many parts of my deep culture with beliefs, habits and problem solving strategies that allow me to be productive today. Otherwise, I would have just passed the same culture on to my daughter that has kept my family in poverty.

Last edited by crisan; 06-21-2012 at 06:14 AM..

Old 06-21-2012, 05:21 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Yes, I think my children (and even our generation) were lucky to grow up in the times we did. Medical and technological advances, the comforts almost all of us have, access to food, transportation, education, etc.

On the flip side, there are times when I yearn for a slower, simpler life. When we are all together and all the cell phones, tablets and video games are left at home it's interesting to see how we interact with each other.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:09 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,121,425 times
I agree that we can give our children wonderful things. I don't know if it's the times, or the things our parents gave us. My parents were immigrants so I see the life my son will lead, the opportunities that he will have, as their gift to him. We were poor and my siblings and I had it a bit rough growing up. All of our children have more than we ever did (some WAY more LOL) and I'm glad that we all make sure they will appreciate it.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:13 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,121,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
I have to disagree with you there. These times are not the best to be living in. Aside from the economy issues, it's just generally worse to be a kid now than when I was younger. The TV is horrible, the toys are junk, and even video games now are just bleh compared to back in the NES and SNES days.

No I think it was better back in the day when you could go over to a friend's place without having to have your parents sign a waiver in case you get hurt in the pool or on the trampoline. Things were safer back then, and no one was sue happy or afraid of being sued.
I think you're missing the big picture if you think these are the keys to a happy, well rounded childhood. TV and toys are the same as they've ever been. And you liked those video games because they were brand new. As they are for kids today. (I played Atari when it came out - but I've never purchased a video game for any child, ever)

Old 06-21-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I think you're missing the big picture if you think these are the keys to a happy, well rounded childhood. TV and toys are the same as they've ever been. And you liked those video games because they were brand new. As they are for kids today. (I played Atari when it came out - but I've never purchased a video game for any child, ever)
You're doubly wrong on this statement. No I do not think that TV, games and toys are the key to a good childhood, you must have missed the statement I made about going to friends houses. And yes, 90% of TV now is garbage, the games are more repetitive than pac man, and all of the toys my son has gotten for his birthday this year have already broke. His birthday was this past Saturday. So therefore, they have to be junk because they've all broken in a few days.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:39 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
You're doubly wrong on this statement. No I do not think that TV, games and toys are the key to a good childhood, you must have missed the statement I made about going to friends houses. And yes, 90% of TV now is garbage, the games are more repetitive than pac man, and all of the toys my son has gotten for his birthday this year have already broke. His birthday was this past Saturday. So therefore, they have to be junk because they've all broken in a few days.
Huh. My kids go to friends' houses. And play the same games I did.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:41 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
and all of the toys my son has gotten for his birthday this year have already broke. His birthday was this past Saturday. So therefore, they have to be junk because they've all broken in a few days.

The *set of toys your son received* may all be junk. But I am guessing he has not received a super set of all possible toys. I remember my Barbie head popping off two minutes after I got it.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Huh. My kids go to friends' houses. And play the same games I did.
Oh. So.. you have agreed with me. They play games from back in the day. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting