Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:30 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

I have to admit, we just didn't hire sitters. Our grown kids would give us a night of watching the kids when they came to visit but this was pretty rare. Mostly we just learned to take the kids with us or not go. We don't party, drink or enjoy going to public movies so it was never much of a sacrifice. Thank god for netflex and tivo. Do you pay more than $10 per hour to go out to eat or out for the evening?

Babysitting costs dent wallet, especially in New York - Life Inc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 07:06 AM

606 posts, read 944,308 times
$10/hour is our normal rate. We usually hire either college students or recent graduates. As a result, we use babysitting rarely -- once every four to six weeks.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:57 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
We very rarely use a sitter, but the few times we have, we paid $10 per hour for watching 2 kids. When I say rarely, I mean less than 4 times per year.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:50 AM

919 posts, read 1,691,034 times
I babysit for the same lady 2-4 times a week, occasionally more and I get paid 10$ an hour for 1-3 kids. She has 3 but they usually aren't all there due to activities- they are a special needs 23 month old, a 3 year old and a 6 year old.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:24 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I have to admit, we just didn't hire sitters. Our grown kids would give us a night of watching the kids when they came to visit but this was pretty rare. Mostly we just learned to take the kids with us or not go. We don't party, drink or enjoy going to public movies so it was never much of a sacrifice. Thank god for netflex and tivo. Do you pay more than $10 per hour to go out to eat or out for the evening?

Holy kudzu!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:39 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:

It's a NY fat cat thing to hire a nanny.

When the croc's money bags get heavier, and little crocodiles start crawling in his mansion, and as Mrs Crocodile keeps packing 10 pounds per quarter in body weight (yes, they have bad quarters too), I'll hire a good nanny for my children and side entertainment purposes.

There's too much nanny scandal out here and I'm not gonna miss out on it. Can't wait.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:05 AM

506 posts, read 1,956,722 times
My parents have had a live in nanny for my sister since she was a baby. They are extremely socially active and entertain a lot, so the help with my sister and with the house/ cooking/ cleaning etc. works out very well for them.

My sister is 12 and has started babysitting. I think she gets $10/hour, not sure the "multipliers", if you will, for additional children.

When I was around 13 or 14, I had one family that I LOVED sitting for. They had three children, 2 boys, one aged 4 years and the other 8 months, and a girl around 2 years. These kids were the most well behaved children I've ever come across. What stood out the most was that they all, including the 8 month old, would sleep on their own (ie: put them in bed/crib and leave the room). No fuss, nothing. My mom even had me ask their Mom how she did it, as my sister was around the same age as her youngest. They usually had me come at nights-- I'd do supper (they left food) or supper cleanup, baths, and put them to bed. They paid me $10 for one kid and added $1 for each additional child. I thought it was awesome pay!

Old 06-13-2012, 11:16 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:

My daughter gets $20 an hour to watch one kid, and additional $10 per hour for each additional.

People will pay it. She is cpr certified, has her own car, etc.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:27 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,669 times
The last time we had a babysitter we paid her $10 per hour. I one time had a sitter charge me an extra $10 fuel charge?

Old 06-13-2012, 11:34 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
The sitters here average $10 per hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting