Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 01:43 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
Living with someone I find off craigslist? No way.
You cannot have your cake and eat it to. You need to get independent, by whatever means necessary. Or you need to do what your parents say. When they are contributing financially, it is a whole lot harder to be in a limit setting position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 01:49 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
LOL. Asian parents. I get it.

My (Japanese) mother is pretty much the same way... I've learned the whole "In one ear, out the other" method a long time ago. I also do not reveal much personal information to her because it either become a nagging/control issue or an outburst lamenting situation. Your parents (and your brother) aren't going to change. If you want change, then set it in motion. But otherwise, when you do see them... Don't worry so much. You don't have to take offense at whatever comes out of their mouths and you don't have to dole out all the personal information.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:08 PM

460 posts, read 982,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
LOL. Asian parents. I get it.

My (Japanese) mother is pretty much the same way... I've learned the whole "In one ear, out the other" method a long time ago. I also do not reveal much personal information to her because it either become a nagging/control issue or an outburst lamenting situation. Your parents (and your brother) aren't going to change. If you want change, then set it in motion. But otherwise, when you do see them... Don't worry so much. You don't have to take offense at whatever comes out of their mouths and you don't have to dole out all the personal information.

I didn't want to turn the discussion into a cultural argument. Any parent from any background can be controlling. Appreciate the understanding and I have been ignoring a lot of what been said.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:46 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Why do you need a roommate? As an adult male with a college degree and a stable job in finance? Why can't you just live by yourself? Don't you need privacy? Even a tiny apartment that was all yours would be better than having unpredictable roommates.

I do think some of the issue with your parents could be cultural. My Asian friends have always shown a strong tendency do to what their parents ask, even when it's something extreme like pay for their younger siblings to go through college. Most of my other friends, if their parents tried to make them do something like that, would tell the parents where to stick it and then not talk to them for a couple of years, just to show that they don't need the parents anymore, then try talking to them again and see if they've outgrown their controlling ways.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:46 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
It was never my intention to sit here and say that Parents of other backgrounds aren't as controlling. I know that. The pressures are different when you have a controlling parent vs controlling parent of a different culture. Much different.

The culture aspect is definitely one strong part of parenting. Notice how people freely said: So, be the "horrible" son and live your life (set your boundaries). If the (different) culture aspect wasn't a big deal, OP would've/should've just said, "Yes, I really need to start doing that". But OP hasn't really addressed the whole "Be the 'horrible' son, then" and instead brings up the brother who's the "doormat" and is being praised for it (<---- Not really surprising, given... the culture aspect). Let your brother be and stop comparing.

If the OP can be brought out of his share of the house-- then get started on that and move on. If anything, the OP's come up with excuses as to why things were done the way they were done. Oh, I can't live with room-mates; I was "forced" to buy a house; Quite complicated to explain, you had to be there. It's called "complaining". Stop complaining, sell your part of the house (even if it means taking up a loss), forget the "emotional blackmail", and start living.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
It was never my intention to sit here and say that Parents of other backgrounds aren't as controlling. I know that. The pressures are different when you have a controlling parent vs controlling parent of a different culture. Much different.

The culture aspect is definitely one strong part of parenting. Notice how people freely said: So, be the "horrible" son and live your life (set your boundaries). If the (different) culture aspect wasn't a big deal, OP would've/should've just said, "Yes, I really need to start doing that". But OP hasn't really addressed the whole "Be the 'horrible' son, then" and instead brings up the brother who's the "doormat" and is being praised for it (<---- Not really surprising, given... the culture aspect). Let your brother be and stop comparing.

If the OP can be brought out of his share of the house-- then get started on that and move on. If anything, the OP's come up with excuses as to why things were done the way they were done. Oh, I can't live with room-mates; I was "forced" to buy a house; Quite complicated to explain, you had to be there. It's called "complaining". Stop complaining, sell your part of the house (even if it means taking up a loss), forget the "emotional blackmail", and start living.

Tough love. Agree mostly and complaining is admitted, except I've only given a fraction of the details. Intellectually assenting to setting boundaries is the easier part and I already realized boundaries needed to be set to keep my mental health by the time I was 18. More boundaries need to be set such as in housing in addition to my career path. Parents have claimed not to intrude on my current dating situation (she's great) but I doubt their words. The harder part about dealing with the emotions and relationships within the family may very well require therapy.

I've gotten some great advice and really appreciate the input.

Last edited by AngusHsu; 06-14-2012 at 05:04 PM..

Old 06-14-2012, 06:25 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
I didn't want to turn the discussion into a cultural argument. Any parent from any background can be controlling. Appreciate the understanding and I have been ignoring a lot of what been said.
It's not really a cultural argument, though. Chinese, yes? This is very common in Chinese culture, so you aren't going to change your parents. You have to be the one to change.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Why did your parents refuse to kick out the tenant?

Old 06-15-2012, 01:32 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
I don't see why you *need* a roommate. You are 27. You have a decent job. You should be able to find an apartment you can afford without a roommate. A small one bedroom or a studio apartment ought to be affordable for you.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I don't see why you *need* a roommate. You are 27. You have a decent job. You should be able to find an apartment you can afford without a roommate. A small one bedroom or a studio apartment ought to be affordable for you.
Except I live in SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting