U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2007, 07:39 PM

45 posts, read 248,040 times

Advertisements

i just can't believe it.

i know i'm gonna catch a lotta crap about this one but i just can't help it.

this past weekend a teenager from my town was killed in an accident involving an ATV. fact is, i believe that it happened while participating in competition. this 13 yr old was also top ranked in the US in the sport, so he was an experienced driver.

i offer my condolences to the family and i am hugely sympathetic to their grief.

i am the last one who should question other people's parenting decisions for the most part but i cannot fail to be astounded once again that parents allow their children to drive these vehicles. my lord! would you let a 13 year old drive your car?

(and don't get sidetracked with the "my state lets 13 year olds drive" bit, ya'll know what i'm referring to. )

i just don't understand how anyone would let a 13 yr old (and i know they do it younger, even) on one of these vehicles.

i know it's wonderful that the child had the opportunity to express his inner drives and reach his potential and all, but i think that parents should understand how dangerous this sport is. why do they let their children drive these things, often even over very rough terrain?

i wish it wasn't so. but that's what i think. what do you think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 10:09 PM

8,669 posts, read 21,257,084 times
Yeah, I agree it's too dangerous. We had a young boy about the same age at our church have a serious accident on one about 4 years ago. Thankfully, he was not killed, but it was" touch and go" for awhile and he was very seriously injured with a long, long, arduous recovery because of his many injuries.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:18 PM

25,106 posts, read 37,082,553 times
Understandable concerns expressed by the poster. However, I think we can find stories, of children getting hurt, or sometimes killed, participating in all sorts of activities: Swimming, hiking, roller blading, skate boarding, skiing etc - All potentially dangerous.

Life is a risk and, while unfortunate that this young man got killed, I cannot sit and blame the parents nor say the activities should be stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting