U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 08:41 PM

17,815 posts, read 24,391,035 times

Advertisements

I just don't get this. What kind of parents allow a teenager free reign to drive with a carload of kids.

This happened yesterday in the Tampa area, FL apparently has no restrictions(unlike other states) on how many passengers drivers under age 18 can have in the car.

It was an SUV that flipped several times, and one boy not wearing a seatbelt was ejected and killed.

Aside from the loss of the life, the 16yr old driver is driving a car registered to his father. Don't the parents worry about getting sued in situations like this?

I just don't get it.
Rate this post positively

Old 06-16-2012, 08:54 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,190,101 times
It's a very sad and all too common thing in the news.

However, I wonder if the parents were even aware their kid was driving with that many others in the vehicle.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:57 PM

36,499 posts, read 51,553,661 times
very sad, every mother's nightmare. Maybe he was driving with friends without parental permission. We were very strict about no passengers for first 9 months and after that only 3 passengers only when we gave prior permission. drivers ed, great gpa, responsibility shown, strict parents and still this can happen.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:12 PM

49,924 posts, read 55,753,214 times
Our state has instituted a graduated license program for teens, with 16-year-olds required to follow certain rules, including only one non-family passenger unless one of the passengers is 21. All passengers must wear seatbelts, and drivers under 18 are not permitted to drive between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. unless they meet certain requirements.

Graduated Driver License Frequently Asked Questions

It is enforced, at least in the in the area where I live, and it has helped limit teen fatalities.

It's so scary, though. I have two near driving age, and it is terrifying to think about giving them total control of a vehicle.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:14 PM

It is very sad. It's a frequent event in FL which leads the nation in deadly teen crashes.

The laws are too lax. They can have a full license at 16 and drive till all hours of the night and no limits on the number of passengers.

But I still think there are too many parents who aren't laying down the law. This SUV flipped several times, so speed had to be involved.

There was another one awhile back where 4 teens were killed, including a brother and sister. They hit a brick wall doing 100mph.

The driver(the brother) at 17 arleady had two speeding tickets and one for reckless driving. Why didn't the parents take the car away?

I remember my father drilling it into my head that any problems that I caused due to reckless driving wouldn't impact him with a lawsuit. That their savings and assets could be drained if I injured or killed someone due to speeding.

What I find disturbing in FL is they put up these tacky roadside memorials, shows teens on the news crying about their friend, but no one ever questions why crashes like this happened.

A month doesn't go by here in just this area where this isn't a news story.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:24 PM

2,962 posts, read 3,736,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Our state has instituted a graduated license program for teens, with 16-year-olds required to follow certain rules, including only one non-family passenger unless one of the passengers is 21. All passengers must wear seatbelts, and drivers under 18 are not permitted to drive between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. unless they meet certain requirements.

Graduated Driver License Frequently Asked Questions

It is enforced, at least in the in the area where I live, and it has helped limit teen fatalities.

It's so scary, though. I have two near driving age, and it is terrifying to think about giving them total control of a vehicle.
Our state has a graduated license program as well, but it only lasts for nine months.

Campbellsport reeling after crash - JSOnline

This occurred a few months ago in my area and it makes me want to never allow my kids to drive! I cannot even begin to imagine what's going through the minds of these parents who lose children in accidents like these, but in many cases (especially in the article I posted above), it can be prevented. IMO, education is key- talk your teens on the proper use of seatbelts, going the speed limit, following curfews, etc.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:18 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,521,570 times
That happened just two miles from me and my parents saw the flipped over SUV on the side of the road. So sad. And more common around here than people know.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
That happened just two miles from me and my parents saw the flipped over SUV on the side of the road. So sad. And more common around here than people know.
The Tampa Bay area leads the nation in deadly teen crashes. There are also two FL cities on the Top 10 list.

Unlike other states like the posters from TN and WI who mentioned their states limit the number of passengers FL does absolutely nothing.

Other states have teens off the road by 9pm(unless they have a job that has night hours). Not FL, they and drive till I believe 12am or 1am, no reason for underage kids to be on the road that late.

It's the same thing on the news, tacky white cross on the side of the road(which are driving distractions), crying teens, plastic flowers, and teddy bears.

Been here a few years now and have seen countless stories over and over again, yet never any mention of raising the driving age, limiting the number of passengers and hours an underage teen can drive.

No mention of what caused the crash, why 7 teens are in one car. You don't flip an SUV doing the speed limit.

Having lived in more progressive states I notice FL is never proactive on any issue, always reactive.

Adapting laws that other states have and enforcing them seems too logical for the dumbshine state.

The FL Senate just turned down a ban on texting, despite several horrific crashes due to texting, and will not address it for another two years.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:09 AM

4,526 posts, read 5,832,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It is very sad. It's a frequent event in FL which leads the nation in deadly teen crashes.

The laws are too lax. They can have a full license at 16 and drive till all hours of the night and no limits on the number of passengers.

But I still think there are too many parents who aren't laying down the law. This SUV flipped several times, so speed had to be involved.

There was another one awhile back where 4 teens were killed, including a brother and sister. They hit a brick wall doing 100mph.

The driver(the brother) at 17 arleady had two speeding tickets and one for reckless driving. Why didn't the parents take the car away?

I remember my father drilling it into my head that any problems that I caused due to reckless driving wouldn't impact him with a lawsuit. That their savings and assets could be drained if I injured or killed someone due to speeding.

What I find disturbing in FL is they put up these tacky roadside memorials, shows teens on the news crying about their friend, but no one ever questions why crashes like this happened.

A month doesn't go by here in just this area where this isn't a news story.
the state i live in up north has one to two similar accidents weekly and it is in a primarily rural area---less populated than tampa bay---without laws governing this type of teen behaviors---here is where parenting and getting your kid ready to drive maturely comes into play imo

Old 06-17-2012, 11:39 AM

4,017 posts, read 10,878,639 times
Indiana has had at least 3-4 of these teenage crashes in the last couple of weeks. Multiple fatalities. In one case, a 14 year old was driving. I personally dont think they should drive without more training and/or supervision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.