Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 03:41 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybarboni View Post
Makes me appreciate my dad that much more on Fathers Day. When I was younger I said to him " Hey buddy, whats going on".. Most parents today would giggle and chuckle. He said to me "Lets get something straight, Im not your buddy or your friend Im your father. Later in life when Im older and you have kids of your own then we can be friends". I always chuckle when I think of that!
Hah! When I was a kid I called my dad by his first name once and I think he just ignored me. I once called my mom by her first name and she asked me why I would want to call her by her first name and not "mom". So I quit.

Yes, I think it's worse today with parents thinking their special child is a complete darling besides being some genius child. The only good thing is that so many parents don't even allow their children to play outdoors, the sun might hurt them or something that you don't have to put up with too many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 04:13 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raybarboni View Post
the worst kids? My neighbors kid was kicking the soccer ball with his friend(they are 7 years old). He ran into the street to get the ball and I yelled at him "Dont go in the street chasing a ball you can get hurt. I even went to get the ball for him. His mother told me that I have nerve, dont I dare discipline her kids. Yet, she wasn't even watching her kids playing in the front yard right by the street where cars zoom by. She was inside eat bon bons or watching oprah If this happened to me when i was younger my father would have thanked the neighbor for looking out for me, and then got mad at me for running in the street chasing ball. Rant done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Hah! When I was a kid I called my dad by his first name once and I think he just ignored me. I once called my mom by her first name and she asked me why I would want to call her by her first name and not "mom". So I quit.

Yes, I think it's worse today with parents thinking their special child is a complete darling besides being some genius child. The only good thing is that so many parents don't even allow their children to play outdoors, the sun might hurt them or something that you don't have to put up with too many.
Exhibit A as to why the much maligned Today's Parentâ„¢ can't win either way.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:06 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Let's see, this sounds like a child-free troll thread to me.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
The best example you can give of "worst kid" is a kid who runs into the street after a ball?

I'd put a "for sale" sign up. TODAY. Put that in the listing. You are going to make a MINT off people who are looking for Beaver Cleaver as a neighbor.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:48 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Meanwhile, over on the Non-Romantic Relationships board, maybe there's a thread from a woman complaining that her neighbor looks in her window to see what she watches on television and yells at her kid?

It's unfortunate that your neighbor was upset when you were only trying to help, but I don't see what that story has to do with hypocritical parents or demon children. Lucky for me, I have yet to encounter really braggy parents. I've met some with badly behaved children, but they haven't called the kids "angels" or anything like that.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:26 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The best example you can give of "worst kid" is a kid who runs into the street after a ball?

I'd put a "for sale" sign up. TODAY. Put that in the listing. You are going to make a MINT off people who are looking for Beaver Cleaver as a neighbor.
My mother was friends with a boy in her neighborhood who she said was the worlds snottiest child. Now this was the mid - late 60's so we can't blame it on 'modern entitlement'. Anyway he would constantly pick on people and choose one friend over the other and lie. My mother said he always would make stuff up that was obvious he was lying about. And the kicker was he would constantly create conflict in which his mother/father would watch from their window with no issue. But the moment someone fought back they would burst out of the house screaming at the child who wrote their wittle angel. She said eventually it got to the point that all the kids decided to exclude him from their fun time for a whole summer. And his mother actually went around towards the end attempting to brow beat the parents for the way all the kids were treating her child. So no i don't think the time period has anything to do with it because there have always been rotten kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting