Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 02:00 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times

Advertisements

Give the credit to the insurance industry for reducing driver accidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 03:38 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
Lucid... just wondering what the giggle was for? Isn't the 16 yr. old fatality rate dropping a good thing?

*giggles at the 16 year olds percentage*
16 years-69% decrease I bolded what i was giggling at

Old 06-18-2012, 07:37 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
16 years-69% decrease I bolded what i was giggling at
How old are you?

Old 06-18-2012, 08:02 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The thread on teen driving is closed. However, it touched a bit of a nerve with me. People will blame parents for every little thing that goes wrong with a young person. The link below shows a clear decline in traffic deaths of teen drivers from 1995-2010 of:

16 years-69% decrease
17 years-51% decrease
18-19 years-35% decrease
20+ year-23% decrease

So I propose the question: Is poor parenting solely to blame when a young person dies in a crash? If so, can we claim there has been an increase in good parenting over the past 17 years?

I personally think that there are things parents can do to decrease the risk of teen crashes. However, I do not think it is solely the parents fault if a crash does occur.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...AOxkCFQrebNI2A
The reason is that many states(not FL) have raised the driving age. That is why there are less 16yr olds being killed. I believe it was NJ that raised their driving age and saw a 50% decrease in teen fatalities.

There are states that limit the number of passegers or even require someone over the age of 21 in the car.

I believe MA limits teen drivers to one passenger in the car.

When you allow a 16yr old to drive around with a carload of kids you're inviting trouble.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The reason is that many states(not FL) have raised the driving age. That is why there are less 16yr olds being killed. I believe it was NJ that raised their driving age and saw a 50% decrease in teen fatalities.

There are states that limit the number of passegers or even require someone over the age of 21 in the car.

I believe MA limits teen drivers to one passenger in the car.

When you allow a 16yr old to drive around with a carload of kids you're inviting trouble.
FL has the most common licensing age which is 16. It is not a rogue state with crazy laws that differ from the majority. There are 5 states that permit unrestricted driving at a younger age than FL (MT, ID, ND, SD, NM, SC).

State licensing ages: minimum age for unsupervised driving

FL has a GDL program. In fact, FL was a leader in the GDL movement. It passed the first GDL program in the US in 1996. FL requires a very long permit period so that once drivers are allowed to drive unsupervised they have had quite a bit of driving experience. I think passenger restrictions for 16 and 17 year old drivers are a good idea.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
FL has the most common licensing age which is 16. It is not a rogue state with crazy laws that differ from the majority. There are 5 states that permit unrestricted driving at a younger age than FL (MT, ID, ND, SD, NM, SC).

State licensing ages: minimum age for unsupervised driving

FL has a GDL program. In fact, FL was a leader in the GDL movement. It passed the first GDL program in the US in 1996. FL requires a very long permit period so that once drivers are allowed to drive unsupervised they have had quite a bit of driving experience. I think passenger restrictions for 16 and 17 year old drivers are a good idea.
FL has no restricitons on the number of passengers. And you stated that FL allows teen drivers who are 17 to drive till 1am, that's insane. There is no reason other than a weekend part time job that they need to be driving that late.

FL has very lax laws when it comes to road safety. I have lived in 5 states and have never seen in person and on the news so many horrific crashes.

FL is the 4th most populated state, but comes in at 41 out of the 50 states in regards to road safety. It also comes in the Top 5 states in regards to uninsured drivers.

I had never heard of so many uninsured and suspended licenses in my life prior to FL. In many states having no car insurance gets your car impounded. In FL they get a ticket for not having car insurance and keep driving.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:39 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
How old are you?
She does not have kids. She like to giggle and do the "stick your tongue out" emoticon inappropriately.

A 69% decrease is remarkable.

Parents are responsible for passing on a sense of responsibility to their kids. Even so, each kid is his own person. Once they get a license, the state deems they are responsible.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:38 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
This is the PA Teen Driving Law. I did post it on the locked thread too.

PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - New Teen Drivers

Quote:
Act 81 places increased restrictions on the number and age of passengers which a junior driver license holder may transport. Current law limits drivers under the age of 18 to transporting no more passengers than the number of seat belts in the vehicle.

As of Dec. 27, 2011, for the first six months after receiving their junior driver’s license, a driver is not permitted to have more than one passenger under age 18 who is not an immediate family member (brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister of the junior driver and adopted or foster children living in the same household as the junior driver) in their vehicle unless they are accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. If they have not been convicted of a driving violation or been partially or fully responsible for a reportable crash after six months, they may have up to three passengers under age 18 who are not immediate family members without a parent or legal guardian present. If they have any convictions or are partially or fully responsible for a reportable crash while a junior driver, they are once again restricted to one passenger.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
FL has no restricitons on the number of passengers. And you stated that FL allows teen drivers who are 17 to drive till 1am, that's insane. There is no reason other than a weekend part time job that they need to be driving that late.
Well nobody NEEDS to be driving. Driving is not a NEED. I would like to see FL put a limit on the number of passengers that young drivers can have in a car. However, FL's GDL system is pretty typical.

Quote:
FL has very lax laws when it comes to road safety. I have lived in 5 states and have never seen in person and on the news so many horrific crashes.

FL is the 4th most populated state, but comes in at 41 out of the 50 states in regards to road safety. It also comes in the Top 5 states in regards to uninsured drivers.
Can you link me to your source? I do think that FL is somewhat lax in total road safety but it has pretty typical teen driving laws. There are many more hazards when driving than just teens.

Quote:
I had never heard of so many uninsured and suspended licenses in my life prior to FL. In many states having no car insurance gets your car impounded. In FL they get a ticket for not having car insurance and keep driving.
This is not an issue regarding teen drivers.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:14 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,755,798 times
Quote:
Well nobody NEEDS to be driving. Driving is not a NEED.

I don't usually disagree with your views, but this time I am going to. We live 2 miles away from the school in town, our town is very small and the job market is tiny... to do anything here - get to school or get a job, you HAVE to drive. My kids started driving as soon as they could to get to school (we do not have a bus to our house, as we are inside the 3 mile radius) and to work. We have no public transportation either. Driving is a NEED here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting