Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:21 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,197,005 times

Advertisements

I knew it would eventually happen but I'm still not prepared for this at age 9. One of my daughters has been invited to a Glitz and Gloss Spa BD Party. It is in somebody's home done by a mobile spa group. The invite also included a waiver for me to sign about makeup, nail polish, oils, lotions, etc.

Fundamentally I am opposed to this kind of activity for 9 year old girls. I don't wear makeup, my adult daughter does not, my young girls have never shown any interest in it either. We emphasize clean hair and skin, no perfumes, etc. I have even managed to raise 3 daughters without ever buying a single Barbie- although they have been given a few as gifts.

The little girl is not even a close friend and it looks like maybe all the girls in her class are invited. I doubt any harm will be done but it's just the whole idea that creeps me out. I have not talked to her about it yet. This girl will not even let me talk to her about periods and leaves when her sister and I get out the body book to discuss puberty.

How would you handle this, especially if you have the same attitude i do about beauty and beauty products?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 11:29 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,589,910 times
First world problem much? Seriously lighten up. Your daughter will have fun. If you don't want her to go, then tell her no, otherwise let her go and enjoy herself, and she can develop her own opinions on titivating.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:31 AM

22,643 posts, read 47,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

Fundamentally I am opposed to this kind of activity for 9 year old girls.
Then just tell her that!

Old 06-04-2012, 11:39 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,192,627 times
I find those types of parties a little over the top for little girls and I've seen them for MUCH younger girls before. That said, I would let her go if she wants to go and not say anything about it. When she comes home all glammed up tell her that she looks pretty but even more beautiful without all the makeup, etc. Your values that you pass onto your daughter through everyday living regarding appearance and body image will trump any glitz and glam type of party your child will attend.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:54 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,377,623 times
I think if you are fundamentally opposed, then however you arrive at the decision, and however you communicate it to your child, she isn't going to the party. Once you have that part worked out in your mind, the rest is just details.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:18 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,491,407 times
Since it's something that your dd doesn't show an interest in anyway, I don't think she'd mind missing it. At least you don't have to deal with a battle and a bunch of, "But Mom, WHY?" However, if she wanted to, I don't think it would do any harm in letting her go. As long as she understood your feelings on the subject, and your rules, having a little fun at a two hour party isn't going to cause her to forget the convictions she's grown up with.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:39 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,089,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Then just tell her that!
And let your daughter make her own decision.

Why do you "dread" this anyway? Are you afraid she'll come home from one party addicted to glam?

If you obsess about it, she will pick up on it. Sure, it's a stupid idea for young girls but it's a common fantasy for them to dress up and make up at that age. Act like it's just another party and let her decide, then be willing to live with her decision.

The dismissive "first world" talk is insulting. You decide if a problem is a problem. But don't create one.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The dismissive "first world" talk is insulting. You decide if a problem is a problem. But don't create one.
Why is it insulting? In my world someone "dreading" that their child be invited to a dress-up party is pretty strange. There are many things I "dread" for my children, dress-up isn't one of them.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:57 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,089,585 times
Because you can say that about any issue on this forum. And then why are we here, anyway? No one is on the forum asking how to install a well in their backyard so they can have fresh drinking water. (I guess that would be the "House" forum anyway. ) It's mostly braces and bikes and iPods etc.

Calling it a "first world problem" stops all discussion at the door by making the OP feel stupid and selfish about asking a question that is important to them.

The glitz and glam party isn't really the core issue. It's about parental values. This event, whether it's a manicure party or packing food boxes for the homeless, is causing a conflict for the mom. You slapping her question down by calling it a "first world problem" negates her feelings.

She came here for help, not ridicule.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Because you can say that about any issue on this forum. And then why are we here, anyway? Calling it a "first world problem" stops all discussion at the door by making the OP feel stupid and selfish about asking a question that is important to them.

The glitz and glam party isn't really the core issue. It's about parental values. This event, whether it's a manicure party or packing food boxes for the homeless, is causing a conflict for the mom. You slapping her question down by calling it a "first world problem" negates her feelings.

She came here for help, not ridicule.
The OP is quite capable of voicing her opinions to me if she so chooses.

I also happen to know that the OP and I share many core values, so I found her elevation of this particular issue to "dread" status to be surprising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting