Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 06:45 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times

Advertisements

I remember getting dirty looks from a woman when I brought my TWO year old into the women's locker room. I wanted to smack her. You aint so sexy that you are knocking my toddler's eye out. Get over your self. But that said, family friendly options are helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 06:46 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I remember getting dirty looks from a woman when I brought my TWO year old into the women's locker room. I wanted to smack her. You aint so sexy that you are knocking my toddler's eye out. Get over your self. But that said, family friendly options are helpful.
It is such a relief when I see a family room! I don't have to put up with the clucking and eye-rolling from others who don't understand why I have my son in the women's room with me.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:04 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,107 times
I used to go to the fitness center in a local college. I was a student at the time, but they sold memberships and did swim lessons. They put up a sign that children over 3 couldn't be in opposite sex locker rooms. I didn't have children but I thought it was ridiculous. I don't know what parents did. And I don't know what kind of jerk complains about a 3 year old in a locker room.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:27 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,895,518 times
I think that there is an age where boys are to old to be in the ladies locker room but I am not sure what that age should be. My sons were around 5 when they no longer wanted to go to the ladies room and didn't want to change in the ladies locker room at the pool. I guess the age is somewhere between 4-6.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:33 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I've had my fair share of dirty looks when taking YDS in the women's changing rooms or locker rooms. But he is on the autism spectrum and is a runner. He has run away from me more than once. This is not a failing on my part, but is part of the diagnosis. We are working on this with his TSS worker but he still doesn't get it. Therefore, I would not feel comfortable allowing him in a locker room by himself where he could get away. ODS changes in the men's locker room and since he is mature and understands rules, I allow him to do so.

Keeping your autistic child safe: Practical tips for parents
hugs to you. I feel for both the grandma of the girl, and the mom of the boy in the OP's situation. It isn't comfortable for anyone.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:16 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,922,857 times
I think that the family change room would be the best solution, of course. But not everywhere has one, and if they don't have the option, then I think you just have to bring your kid into the opposite sex change room anyway. We have been to swim lessons at several different pools, and some have family change rooms and some don't. I don't think the policy is fair if there aren't other options.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:34 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,737,080 times
My son stopped going in with me at 5. I would have to stand outside the mens room waiting for him, he was a slow dresser and got distracted easily. Often I would have to ask another man or boy to tell him to hurry up and get out now!!

Old 06-26-2012, 08:47 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,716,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
I think 6 is to old for a boy to be in the girls bathroom or locker room.

If Mom thinks the boy is responsible enough and explains to him what to do, The boy could go into the men's bathroom and change on his own while mom waits outside. The 8 and 7 year old girl should be able to go into the their bathroom and change together without mom while she is waiting outside for the boy.
Even now at age 9 I would never allow my son to go into a men's room alone. There are too many stories out there of perverse acts in men's bathrooms. A few years ago at a local mall here in Minneapolis there was a story about a sting operation as the men's room was being actively used for men having sex. And mind you this was a very upscale area of town.

And yeah, I do think 6 is just on the older side for a boy or girl to be in the opposite sex bathroom. It was tough when I had my kids at that age but we quickly found a family bathroom. If the facility didn't have one, well we looked elsewhere to go shopping, swimming etc.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:27 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
Even now at age 9 I would never allow my son to go into a men's room alone.
I would be very uncomfortable if I had a 9 year old boy in the ladies restroom or dressing room with me. 9 is old enough for him to learn how to scream if somebody is messing with him in the men's bathroom and way too old to go into the ladies bathroom. I think that kind of overprotectiveness is only going to cause some stunted growth.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:30 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
We went to the beach a couple of years ago, and there were boys as tall as me in the women's shower/changing area with their mothers. There were no doors or partitions or anything to provide privacy in the showers. The boys were changing, and standing around watching their mothers (I hope those were their mothers, anyhow) getting dressed. My kids and I ended up showering in our swimsuits, then we went to the bathroom stalls, ignored the signs everywhere that said no changing in the stalls, and got dressed there.

My daughters are 6 and 10. They won't use the bathroom at the store if there is a boy in there above the age of three or four. (Our Walmart has a family bathroom, but only at the back of the store, so the front bathrooms always have boys in them). This isn't anything I've taught them, just their own sense of modesty. It's a little frustrating sometimes...they would rather go home and risk peed pants on the way than use a bathroom that has a boy in it. I'm sure if they had a brother or two, it would be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting