Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 04:04 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times

Advertisements

I think the school principal should have had an all school assembly, included the parents of the students who bullied the bus monitor, along with the bus monitor who was bullied and members of the press.

The parents and the children who bullied the lady bus monitor would give a public apology to her.

Then there would be a 2 hour long discussion with psychologists leading the assembly about bullying and the psychological impact it has on people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 07:56 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Oh, WTH is the big deal? My DS talks to me like that all the time! After all, they didn't touch her, did they? My ds broke my finger, has left bruises all over me, hey, that's OK. According to CPS, counselors, police, school ,etc.

Really, that poor lady should have just gotten off the bus. Just asked the driver to stop and got off. Of course, the driver probably couldn't have stopped enroute without a ton of paperwork, etc, perhaps lose his job himself. Too bad she didn't have a cell phone and called 911. Also, too bad they didn't inflict bodily harm, with that being recorded, she could have sued for injury to an elderly person.

Being an employee and on duty, she could and should sue for emotional distress, go after the school, the parents of those little darlings, anyone else she could think of! Those little brats don't realize---and could care less---they could have provoked a stroke, or heart attack!

Unfortunately, the "system" allows and encourages such behavior. As with my DS, he has attacked me several times, resulting in a broken finger, multiple bruises, etc. The "system" just sends him to counseling, and we have to pay for it. The kid even went after me with a meat cleaver once, my dh overpowered him, police refused to do anything because they didn't see him in the act of attacking me.

This lady in the video has no recourse. NOTHING happened---ok?Those kids touched her a few times, but didn't leave any marks, bruises, etc,those poor kids need counseling, probably make the victim pay for it, because, she must have done something to provoke it!

Old 06-22-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I think the school principal should have had an all school assembly, included the parents of the students who bullied the bus monitor, along with the bus monitor who was bullied and members of the press.

The parents and the children who bullied the lady bus monitor would give a public apology to her.

Then there would be a 2 hour long discussion with psychologists leading the assembly about bullying and the psychological impact it has on people.

You're day dreaming!

No principal would publically admit such a thing happened!

They would just fire the bullied employee, and sweep it under the rug!

It NEVER happened, ok?

Old 06-22-2012, 08:22 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Oh, WTH is the big deal? My DS talks to me like that all the time! After all, they didn't touch her, did they? My ds broke my finger, has left bruises all over me, hey, that's OK. According to CPS, counselors, police, school ,etc.

Really, that poor lady should have just gotten off the bus. Just asked the driver to stop and got off. Of course, the driver probably couldn't have stopped enroute without a ton of paperwork, etc, perhaps lose his job himself. Too bad she didn't have a cell phone and called 911. Also, too bad they didn't inflict bodily harm, with that being recorded, she could have sued for injury to an elderly person.

Being an employee and on duty, she could and should sue for emotional distress, go after the school, the parents of those little darlings, anyone else she could think of! Those little brats don't realize---and could care less---they could have provoked a stroke, or heart attack!

Unfortunately, the "system" allows and encourages such behavior. As with my DS, he has attacked me several times, resulting in a broken finger, multiple bruises, etc. The "system" just sends him to counseling, and we have to pay for it. The kid even went after me with a meat cleaver once, my dh overpowered him, police refused to do anything because they didn't see him in the act of attacking me.

This lady in the video has no recourse. NOTHING happened---ok?Those kids touched her a few times, but didn't leave any marks, bruises, etc,those poor kids need counseling, probably make the victim pay for it, because, she must have done something to provoke it!
Why would you even go there with this? You know as well as the rest of us, that what those kids did was barbaric and wrong! Just because you've been victimized by your son and then victimized by the system, it doesn't make what those boys did any less wrong. I guess I'm lucky to live in a better place than you do, because if one of my kids did what you say your son has done, the kid would have been locked up. There would have been no question about it.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yes exactly^^^^^thanks to the good ole cps system and the government disipline has been taken out of the hands of the parents .

Exactly!

We as parents are held in line by the kids, not the other way around. My DS has made so many complaints to CPS, we finally told him next time is the last---we give him up. if what we have to offer isn't good enough, it never will be!

Well, DS actually called CPS and told them we said that, they charged us with child abandonment, although he was right with us! Oh, it was the threat of abandonment! CPS destroys families, then pats themselves on the back for the "good job" they did!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:33 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:

You've got to be f-ing kidding me!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Why would you even go there with this? You know as well as the rest of us, that what those kids did was barbaric and wrong! Just because you've been victimized by your son and then victimized by the system, it doesn't make what those boys did any less wrong. I guess I'm lucky to live in a better place than you do, because if one of my kids did what you say your son has done, the kid would have been locked up. There would have been no question about it.

Hey, I'm being saracastic!

You're right, I have been victimized by my DS and by the system! I'm simply pointing out how little recourse a parent truly has. and NO, your kid would NOT be locked up, simply because detention facilities are extremely limited. Instead, you would have been sent to counseling, in the middle of the day, for months on end, jeopardizing your job and other responsibilities.

My ds broke my finger, left multiple bruises, attacked me with a meat cleaver, not a thing was done, and we are in the redneck state of Texas.

Once, my ds threw a hunk of wood at me. I managed to call 911, out came police, they did take him to detention. I told them NOT to bring him back until he had settled down. that statement earned ME a charge of child abuse. Because I said that, I was guilty of child abandonment, although ds was in their custody at the time! NO, YOU would have been locked up, not him, if you requested help. You are supposed to stand there and take it, otherwise, YOU are the guilty one, that's according to Texas law! I hope you live in a better place!

Oh, and have plenty of cash on hand. In Texas, YOU are responsible for your child's legal fees if a minor. Ok, I filed a complaint when ds broke my finger. He was fined $500, which WE, as his parents, were responsible to pay. Also, if YOUR minor child is charged with a felony, YOU, the parents, must pay his legal fees. So WE had to pay DS legal fees, attorney--$1200, because he attacked me! Now, just what would YOU do in such a situation? I even threatened to bring in the media, but was told I could be charged with violating his privacy.

Oh, of course, we could hire ourselves an attorney, if we had any cash left over.

There's a big difference between what you think you would do, and what the law allows you to do.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:

Ok, I worded this poorly! Its laced with saracasm! I feel intensely for this poor lady! She's 68, trying to earn a few extra dollars to supplement her retirement, and gets treated like that! I've been victimized by kids, as well, including my own ds. I know from experience nothing is done about it, except to blame the victim. Kids are the darlings of the law.

I hope she takes every penny of the money offered her, and gets out of that place, start a new life. I just hope she doesn't even try to bring justice for herself, ie, a lawsuit. She will be twisted all around, and the kids will get off scott-free. If anything, it would encourage those horrid brats and others like them---heaven knows the "system" has encouraged my ds to the point he thinks he can pull anything!

I'm sorry if I came across the opposite I intended---that's just how I have been treated when I dared complain about abuse!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Actually, parenting has changed drastically now that most of our babies survive and we don't need kids as free labor on the farm. Parenting is more for entertainment these days than training kids to be good citizens and contributors. That has changed everything.

In generations past, not only did kids seek the council of their elders, they emmulated them. Now they do the opposite. They seek acceptance not by the adults in their lives but their peers. While the peer group has always had some impact, it is much stronger today because it is more important that teens be accepted by their peers than by the adults in their lives. Interactions with adults have become punishment avoidance as opposed to desiring acceptance.

We went through a radical change in the 20th century. At the beginning of the century, children were born into a family and expected to become contributing members of that family. The child was expected to adapt to the family. Now, the birth of a child transforms the family and the family revolves around the child. From a very young age, our children have an inflated sense of self worth and then we send them off to spend most of their time hanging around like minded peers when we send them off to school.

What's different today from the past is that in the past most kids aspired be like the adults in their lives. Today they reject being like the adults in their lives. There's a check that used to be there that is missing today which allows things to go much farther than they would have in the past. The opinion of adults only matters now when it comes to punishment avoidance. While I'm sure these kids regret being caught, I doubt they care what the adults think about them. They just care about the punishment being bestowed upon them.

Today, kids will become violent just to impress the group and, sadly, the group is impressed. They wouldn't keep doing it if that were the case. The internet has given kids a very large peer group to impress. Look at what these kids did. They not only tormented an old lady, they videotaped it and put it on the internet. They are proud of what they did. Proud enough to plaster it all over the internet. The only problem is there is a negative consequence. If it weren't for that, they'd be strutting like peacocks. I'm certain that they still consider themselves some kind of hero and that they have peers who consider them heros too. They just didn't expect to have a price exacted for their actions.

Peer Pressure, Media Fuel Youth Violence - ABC News
Very well worded!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:51 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Ok, I worded this poorly! Its laced with saracasm! I feel intensely for this poor lady! She's 68, trying to earn a few extra dollars to supplement her retirement, and gets treated like that! I've been victimized by kids, as well, including my own ds. I know from experience nothing is done about it, except to blame the victim. Kids are the darlings of the law.

I hope she takes every penny of the money offered her, and gets out of that place, start a new life. I just hope she doesn't even try to bring justice for herself, ie, a lawsuit. She will be twisted all around, and the kids will get off scott-free. If anything, it would encourage those horrid brats and others like them---heaven knows the "system" has encouraged my ds to the point he thinks he can pull anything!

I'm sorry if I came across the opposite I intended---that's just how I have been treated when I dared complain about abuse!
OK. I thought maybe you were being sarcastic but I couldn't tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting