Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:05 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'll tell you what the uproar is about. It has already been proven that it only takes one really bad sunburn in youth to pave the way for skin cancer. And skin cancer in this country is on the rise. Even discounting that, sunburn is dangerous and painful. blisters form and then they break and ooze and then your tender skin sticks to the sheets or clothes. It was just so unnecessary to ignore these children and their plight. And I'm sure it was obvious while they were in the sun and at school. Only a fool would not be aware of what these girls were enduring.
Then it is the PARENTS responsibility to make sure their child is protected from the sun.

It doesn't take just a sunburn but an hour a day of prime time sun exposure during recess without sunblock can also cause skin cancer in later life. If these children are that sun sensitive then it was neglect on the mothers part to not provide the school with the note AND the sunblock. And for the record I wouldn't have shared my or anyone elses sunblock either if for no other reason than many people are frequently allergic to the PABA and zinc found in many sunblocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 08:45 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
It depends on your skin tone to a great extent (not totally-anyone can get skin cancer) so those of us with really pale skin are very, very sensitive (no pun intended) to preventing sunburn. The post about one bad sunburn in childhood being able to cause skin cancer later is correct. What seems like no big deal to some is a HUGE deal to those with light skin. I know we are a minority but by being so concerned we are taking care of our health and that of those we love. Plus, serious sunburns hurt like hell.

That said, schools, camps, etc. cannot usually apply sunscreen due to the fact that it's not generally not looked upon kindly to rub ones hands all over a kids body. Now keeping some of the stuff on hand to let kids of a sufficient age apply to themselves is a good idea.
As I said before, I am very, very fair skinned as is one of my children. The other one takes more after DH with a more olive tone but they both still burn as well.

If one bad sunburn can cause skin cancer later in life then literally every single person I know is screwed.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:57 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
If one bad sunburn can cause skin cancer later in life then literally every single person I know is screwed.
I'm not sure why you are minimizing the risks, but here is some info:

Quote:
- Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States. More than 3.5 million skin cancers in over two million people are diagnosed annually.
- Each year there are more new cases of skin cancer than the combined incidence of cancers of the breast, prostate, lung and colon.
-One in five Americans will develop skin cancer in the course of a lifetime.
- Over the past 31 years, more people have had skin cancer than all other cancers combined.

Skin Cancer Facts - SkinCancer.org

Old 06-24-2012, 09:02 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Just because we didn't know better in the past doesn't mean it's not a big deal. We used to think that smoking around kids wasn't a big deal either. Now we know better the effects of second hand smoke. Or drinking during pregnancy. With more knowledge comes the responsibility to act on that knowledge.

And I'm with the posters that say ultimately, the responsibility for this fell on the shoulders of the mom. She is responsible for her children. Knowing what she knows, she should have been particularly proactive in finding out what was entailed in field day. Making sure the school had the proper sunblock with a Dr. note. as well as a note to the teacher with instructions for that day. Or participated herself if she was able. And at 9 and 11, those girls are old enough to take some responsibility for their condition themselves as far as dressing properly and reminding people in charge that they need to be out of the sun. The mom should be discussing with the girls how they need to protect themselves. They are getting to an age where she will not be there 100% of the time.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:34 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I'm not sure why you are minimizing the risks, but here is some info:

Skin Cancer Facts - SkinCancer.org
I'm not minimizing the risks.

I'm simply saying that every single person I've ever known has had, at the very least, one sunburn in their lives. Probably more like one sunburn per summer. So, if the risk is that bad - one sunburn can cause skin cancer - then everyone I know is at risk.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:52 AM

13,419 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
I'm not minimizing the risks.

I'm simply saying that every single person I've ever known has had, at the very least, one sunburn in their lives. Probably more like one sunburn per summer. So, if the risk is that bad - one sunburn can cause skin cancer - then everyone I know is at risk.
That is correct. Everyone you know is at risk.

However, you know that one sunburn doesn't mean you absolutely will get skin cancer, it means you are more likely to get skin cancer. You know how that works.

It's like if you tan in a tanbed, you aren't absolutely positively going to get melanoma, but you up the risk a bunch.

I would say that every single person I knew in my youth had multiple sunburns. But I'm sure in the town I grew up in that is absolutely no longer the case, because everyone is now religious about sun protection. But every single adult over 60 that I knew back then (granted, mainly neighbors and such) did have a skin cancer of varying severity. Every single one. Usually on their face. I grew up in the skin cancer capital of the world.

Us fair haired people of European ancestry were never meant to burn, or be exposed to such strong radiation. There's really no excuse for letting a fair skinned kid out in the sun to the point where they get second degree burns.

I don't really care who's fault it was, someone should have put that girl in the shade.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:58 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
someone should have put that girl in the shade.
That's true.

Even years ago, before we knew the link between sunburn and skin cancer, SOMEONE would have stepped in and said to her, "Go into the shade, you're going to get sunburned" simply because everyone was aware of the pain it caused.

Weren't ANY adults thinking here?

Old 06-24-2012, 12:17 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Weren't ANY adults thinking here?
Or the child? If this child actually has Albinism, she is going to have to learn to take care of herself.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:24 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Or the child? If this child actually has Albinism, she is going to have to learn to take care of herself.
Absolutely true.

She's already old enough to understand. (Though I can see her having such a good time she didn't want to stop. That's the point an adult should have stepped it.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 06-24-2012 at 12:36 PM..

Old 06-24-2012, 12:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Yes and I can get cancer simply from living in this time period because of all the water and air pollution caused by big industries, cars, etc.

Maybe I will get skin cancer and maybe I won't. I usually take precautions against sunburn but I forget sometimes. But I don't smoke, I exercise, I watch what I eat and I watch my mental health. I'm not going to worry myself silly over what could happen.

I appreciate the seriousness of cancer but I also appreciate that we cannot prevent everything.
None of which will prevent skin cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting