Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 09:31 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,706,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You don't understand how So Cal works. Sometimes the ONLY thing you have in common with your neighbor is that you are stuck in the same traffic jam on the way to work and you both like chocolate cake donuts. Big house. Small house. College student. Millionaire. Food stamp recipient. Mexican. Hippie. Single mother. Surfer. Motorcycle gang member. Retired rocket scientist. Motel maid. Member of the Crips. Business owner. Bus driver. Ex-colonel in the Vietnamese Army. Longshoreman.

And that's only one side of the street.
Sounds almost like my college dorm in Boston, back in 1980
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,072,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You don't understand how So Cal works. Sometimes the ONLY thing you have in common with your neighbor is that you are stuck in the same traffic jam on the way to work and you both like chocolate cake donuts. Big house. Small house. College student. Millionaire. Food stamp recipient. Mexican. Hippie. Single mother. Surfer. Motorcycle gang member. Retired rocket scientist. Motel maid. Member of the Crips. Business owner. Bus driver. Ex-colonel in the Vietnamese Army. Longshoreman.

And that's only one side of the street.
Yep, sounds about right.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 PM

190 posts, read 301,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Your child is smart. He is learning what you are teaching him.
You got it wrong genius, I never slapped his butt before he slapped his mother across the face. My kids will not raise their hands on their parents.
Your kids can do whatever they want.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I think it's mighty unusual for a four year old to slap his mother 'across the face'. I'm wondering where he learned that behavior.

Never mind the gazillions of studies and reports that spanking your child is NOT the most effective form of discipline.

IF your son knew how to control his temper; he wouldn't be slapping anyone in the face.
Yes. I know. It is probably mine and my wife's fault. He must have seen me beating up my wife every Monday.
Or he should be on medication or in therapy.
We, the parents should be punished.
Please don't report me... LOL

PS. There are studies and there are studies proving otherwise. I'd rather believe few thousand years of tradition.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times
Study: Spanking may increase risk of mental illness - Vitals

I have 2 theories based on this study. 1) spanking is harmful to a person's mental health or 2) mentally unhealthy people spank their kids, and mental illness is hereditary.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:33 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,249,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialbyfire View Post
You got it wrong genius, I never slapped his butt before he slapped his mother across the face. My kids will not raise their hands on their parents.
Your kids can do whatever they want.
Right, your child just came up with the concept to slap his mother across the face on his own .

Old 07-03-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Right, your child just came up with the concept to slap his mother across the face on his own .
I don't think you need a concept to hit somebody, especially when you are four years old.
Aggression is not learned. Is part of human psychology.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Study: Spanking may increase risk of mental illness - Vitals

I have 2 theories based on this study. 1) spanking is harmful to a person's mental health or 2) mentally unhealthy people spank their kids, and mental illness is hereditary.
People were spanking kids for thousand of years and somehow we survived as a race. There are many studies with different results.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:20 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,906,859 times
The thought of a four year old slapping his mother across the face is disturbing. My kids were not angels when they were little but something is NOT right when a four year old slaps his mom on the FACE. Wow.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:53 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,461,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialbyfire View Post
Yes. I know. It is probably mine and my wife's fault. He must have seen me beating up my wife every Monday.
Or he should be on medication or in therapy.
We, the parents should be punished.
Please don't report me... LOL

PS. There are studies and there are studies proving otherwise. I'd rather believe few thousand years of tradition.
No, I think YOU should be on medication or in therapy. And I don't believe for a second that you never smacked him before he smacked your wife.

Good job teaching your child to hit others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting