Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 08:07 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Also quite possible that the child forgot himself in the moment. One spank in 8 years means this family has other methods of dealing with their child's behavior, and chose a spanking for this particular behavior because the child hit someone else. I just think making sweeping generalizations about how the kid learned that behavior from his parents is unfair.
By his own words, his own credo is that he is to be unquestioningly obeyed and that consequences must involve pain to get through. You and I have discussed this on this board enough for you to maybe recall that I don't agree with that credo and think it is terribly ineffective. So while this child may not have learned hitting directly from hitting, it seems very plausible that he learned to punish his mother with pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 08:08 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialbyfire View Post

PS. There are studies and there are studies proving otherwise. I'd rather believe few thousand years of tradition.
This is why one looks at the trend of results across the massed literature and not at one particular study. I do not care how you choose to discipline your children, but you would be inaccurate to say that the results of the literature are ambiguous because the preponderance find most forms of corporal punishment to be associated with negative outcomes (within the parameters studied). Does this apply to every child? No. It does apply to a significant majority, again under the parameters studied. Before you assume that my children are hellions running wild because I don't spank, the absence of spanking is not the same thing as the absence of discpline. I share your frustration with parents who do not discipline at all.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:01 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
By his own words, his own credo is that he is to be unquestioningly obeyed and that consequences must involve pain to get through. You and I have discussed this on this board enough for you to maybe recall that I don't agree with that credo and think it is terribly ineffective. So while this child may not have learned hitting directly from hitting, it seems very plausible that he learned to punish his mother with pain.
I missed that, and I don't agree with that philosophy either. I did see that he had only punished his child in that manner that one time. So possibly the child observed other children in the family being spanked often, or maybe not. I don't know enough about this family to come to any conclusions about their parenting methods and the effects it has on their children.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:04 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Right, your child just came up with the concept to slap his mother across the face on his own .
He could have observed it at daycare or school. Although it isn't common I have seen it happen occassionally at Junior Kindergarten pick up time (at a nice, upper middle class school) when a mom says "No, we can't go to McDonalds". I get sick to my stomach whenever I see it happen. And, I get even sicker when the mom then backs down and agrees to do what the child wants to do.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:47 AM

190 posts, read 301,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
This is why one looks at the trend of results across the massed literature and not at one particular study. I do not care how you choose to discipline your children, but you would be inaccurate to say that the results of the literature are ambiguous because the preponderance find most forms of corporal punishment to be associated with negative outcomes (within the parameters studied). Does this apply to every child? No. It does apply to a significant majority, again under the parameters studied. Before you assume that my children are hellions running wild because I don't spank, the absence of spanking is not the same thing as the absence of discpline. I share your frustration with parents who do not discipline at all.
You dont have any children, do you ?

Old 07-04-2012, 10:49 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,877 times
Quote:
You dont have any children, do you ?
Hahaha! I have two very well-behaved children, actually.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:00 AM

190 posts, read 301,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Hahaha! I have two very well-behaved children, actually.
I doubt it lol

Old 07-04-2012, 11:01 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
Just observing how disrespectful some people are on these forums might give you an idea of where some kids learn their disrespectful behavior from.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:22 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times
Quote:
I doubt it lol
Why would you doubt it? One does not have to spank in order to discipline.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:38 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
I doubt it lol
Interesting post in a thread about being disrespectful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting