Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 14,495 times

Advertisements

I find Americans kids to be more disrespectful than others why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 09:27 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,249,236 times
Is this just based on anecdotal information, or actual data?

Old 06-23-2012, 09:28 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,492,874 times
Quote:
Because American adults are lazy and clueless and fail to teach our kids respect.

Apple does not fall far from the tree.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:32 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times
Maybe because they have so much to disrespect. You were not very specific. They diesrespect a media that lies and condescends and mesmerizes. They disrespect a corporate mentality that wants people to be only temporary pegs to fit in holes of exploitation. They disrespect government that is a handpuppet of corporate imperialism. They disrespect a criminal incarceration system that ignores justice. They disrespect liberty as a principle, selling out to technology. They disrespect perpetual for-profit war. They disrespect pageantry for its own sake. They disrespect social order that lavishes benefits on the chosen few. They don't know the word, but theyquite justifiably suspect that they are being swept into a vortex of klepto-oligarchy, and are struggling to find ways to resist, and get no guidance from the keepers of civilization.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:36 AM

3 posts, read 14,495 times
I mean elders...

Old 06-23-2012, 09:37 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,766,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan43201 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan43201 View Post
I mean elders...
You make no sense.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:38 AM

For most PEOPLE who are generally disrespectful, students and otherwise, it's simply a matter of there being more of an incentive for them to be disrespectful than there is for them to be respectful. Plainly put, it works better for them. Set up a system where disrespect doesn't pay off as much as respect does, and disrespect becomes a much less frequent issue.

It's basic behavioral psych...people do what gets results.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:51 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,418,978 times
If you saw the video on the news (they showed it a million times), of an older (in her 70's) school bus monitor getting taunted by the kids.... They were brutal to her. If I were the parents of one of those kids, the kid would get is SO much trouble. Personally, I hold a large fraction of the responsibility of that behavior on the parents.
(getting video of US events over here takes a while, so this is probably old news).

Old 06-23-2012, 11:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,107,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Maybe because they have so much to disrespect. You were not very specific. They diesrespect a media that lies and condescends and mesmerizes. They disrespect a corporate mentality that wants people to be only temporary pegs to fit in holes of exploitation. They disrespect government that is a handpuppet of corporate imperialism. They disrespect a criminal incarceration system that ignores justice. They disrespect liberty as a principle, selling out to technology. They disrespect perpetual for-profit war. They disrespect pageantry for its own sake. They disrespect social order that lavishes benefits on the chosen few. They don't know the word, but theyquite justifiably suspect that they are being swept into a vortex of klepto-oligarchy, and are struggling to find ways to resist, and get no guidance from the keepers of civilization.
Once they turn into adults..sure.

But most 10-11 year olds just downright disrespect adults in general.

It has to start somewhere if they are bringing it into the schools.
For the first 5 years the parent is the sole teacher of the child.
You don't learn backtalk in kindergarten.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Once they turn into adults..sure.

But most 10-11 year olds just downright disrespect adults in general.
I haven't found that to be overwhelmingly the case at all, myself, and I work with emotionally and behaviorally disturbed children, who are far more likely than the norm to exhibit disruptive behavior. Most 10-11 year olds are far more respectful than their teenage counterparts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting