Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 09:26 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times

Advertisements

Is there any reason the OP doesn't just send her son the funds/plane ticket to come and visit her? Seems easy enough.

And yes, from an outsider I can see why your son would be hurt by your actions in not visiting him or making other arrangements to see him while choosing to see others of his siblings. Bad form OP, fix it before you lose him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 09:29 AM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes! Let's blame MOM!! (Because we all know it's ALWAYS Mom's fault.)

Let's suck up to the person who is stomping his foot and throwing a hissy fit. I mean there is NO reason to expect him to grow-the-heck-up and cope with life like every other person on the planet. Better to give in to him so he doesn't get his widdle feewings hurt and throw a tantrum because he didn't get his own way.
Thank you. That's pretty much how I see it. Most eloquently stated.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:20 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
The son is obviously upset about a lot of things, the visit seems to be one straw in the pile, hence the straw that broke the camel's back comment. The house sale is another. Unfortunately, the OP cannot do anything about the house sale proceeds but she is being held accountable for that event. He addressed his dismay with that by cutting off grandpa so that should be cased closed. Yet, all of the son's perceived slights whether done by the mom or other family members seem to be black marks against her. That is problematic to me.
The OP didn't say anything about the son talking about the grandpa situation. The OP herself brought that situation up to display her son's... nature (or tendency) to cut thoroughly family out of his life-- he didn't even show up to his father's funeral. We are presuming that the "short end of the stick" to include the grandpa situation-- but it could very well not be. That last paragraph in the 1st post basically was saying "This is how my son is. I don't want to be cut out... but I still think he should bend to me". Well, OP's made it pretty clear that neither will bend or compromise their positions. She knows what is coming-- if she doesn't want it to be that way, then she's going to somehow have to come up with a way to reach her son.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:48 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Thank you. That's pretty much how I see it. Most eloquently stated.

Absolutely agree. But, Mom needs to understand that she can't have it both ways anymore. Son wants to move on and Mom must live with her inaction.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:53 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,082,946 times
Quote:

Let's suck up to the person who is stomping his foot and throwing a hissy fit. I mean there is NO reason to expect him to grow-the-heck-up and cope with life like every other person on the planet. Better to give in to him so he doesn't get his widdle feewings hurt and throw a tantrum because he didn't get his own way.
This is what happens in families when parents play favorites.
Mom could have found a way to divide her visits so no one felt left out.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:05 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Default seriously?

Quote:

Being left out x 8 years while a mother goes out of her way to spend time with her other offspring is no small thing and not exactly a "hissy fit" or "widdle feelings hurt". It is a major act of rejection by the mother whether she intends it to be or not. I suspect it is less about her son cutting people out of his life than it is about him being tired of putting himself out there to be rejected yet again.

Emotional abuse takes many forms, including ignoring one child (even an adult child) while lavishing attention upon the others to his exclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting