Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 03:56 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,684,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdeanne View Post
I might do this. Is it really more dangerous than taking your child skiing, canoeing, or camping (bears)?
To be equivalent you would have to feed the bear some snacks and then go walk around him a little bit later. But yes I have taken my child camping in black bear country. Again we are strict about keeping food and other smelly stuff away from the tent and child. We did go backpacking in grizzly country but she was in her teens by then.

Not really sure how it is comparable to canoeing or skiing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 04:02 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,238,496 times
Thanks for educating me on why the situation is not a controlled one, lkb!

Old 07-05-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Thanks for educating me on why the situation is not a controlled one, lkb!
Not sure if you are being snarky or not.

If it is, I said multiple times it was in the open ocean, wild sharks that outnumber the people involved, and the video itself makes this clear.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:12 PM

400 posts, read 564,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
To be equivalent you would have to feed the bear some snacks and then go walk around him a little bit later. But yes I have taken my child camping in black bear country. Again we are strict about keeping food and other smelly stuff away from the tent and child. We did go backpacking in grizzly country but she was in her teens by then.

Not really sure how it is comparable to canoeing or skiing.
I see what you mean about the bears. As far as the other sports I was just thinking about the possibility of an accident happening. Head injuries/drowning etc. Another one I just though of though was how about people who own dogs? I heard a horrific story about a dog attacking a 15 month old. Many children are attacked by dogs. Sometimes beloved pets and you can't always tell what the provocation was.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:17 PM

23,975 posts, read 32,296,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

NO!!! Are they insane???? NEVER!!!!

I would not let my eighteen year old do that. Fortunately, he would be smart enough to not do that on his own.

These "parents" are not that smart.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:24 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,372,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Who the hell are you talking to? ANyway for my part, I am certainly godless! That's what atheits ARE!
I was quoting the mom in the video. If a five year old child thinks swimming with a dolphin is boring, something is off balance as I said before. Most of them would be delighted at the idea, unless they just weren't interested in swimming and/or aquatic animals at all.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:34 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,238,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I was quoting the mom in the video. If a five year old child thinks swimming with a dolphin is boring, something is off balance as I said before. Most of them would be delighted at the idea, unless they just weren't interested in swimming and/or aquatic animals at all.
How can you state such an opinion as if it were fact?

Old 07-05-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Again, totally off base. My child would never have wanted to swim with dolphins. She knows to much. She wouldn't even go to a dolphin show at an aquarium since she was 10.

She would have loved to swim with sharks. I wouldn't have let her do what this parent did, though the thing in Disney would have been fine.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:06 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,772,693 times
I have some questions for everyone who feels shocked every time a Fox news anchor tells you to be shocked:

1. With this particular species of shark, how many humans are known to have ever been harmed in an encounter with one, under controlled conditions, which had previous experience with human contact? Compared to, say, Pit Bulls, or horses, or bicycles. Would it be safer to put your child on skis at the top of a mountain and turn her over to the whims of gravity and the traction of waxed boards on snow and ice?

2. At what age would it become acceptable for the parents to let their child engage in this activity? Why would the age matter?

3. Secretly, don't you wish your parents had exposed you to these kinds of adventures when you were a child?

Last edited by jtur88; 07-05-2012 at 06:20 PM..

Old 07-05-2012, 06:19 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,372,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
How can you state such an opinion as if it were fact?
You're going to deny that most five year olds who are interested in swimming with aquatic animals would be happy to swim with dolphins? Seriously?

There's no discussing anything with you people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
With this particular species of shark, how many humans are known to have ever been harmed in an encounter with one, under controlled conditions, which had previous experience with human contact? Compared to, say, Pit Bulls, or horses, or bicycles. Would it be safer to put your child on skis at the top of a mountain and turn her over to the whims of gravity and the traction of waxed boards on snow and ice?
A. Unless you can control the animal itself, there are no "controlled conditions". The very phrase is an illusion.
B. Incomparable, as pit bulls, horses, and bicycles are all more common with children than sharks.
C. I wouldn't let my five year old ski either, if that's what you're asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
At what age would it become acceptable for the parents to let their child engage in this activity?
I wouldn't let my son participate in swimming with sharks at any age, until I could no longer legally keep him from it. Of course, I plan on raising him to ask "Why?" and not just "Why not?" So I don't suspect he will ever want to (Never say never, though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting