Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 12:06 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,833 times

Advertisements

Since you want to stay rear-facing as long as possible for safety reasons, you should investigate which seat will allow you to do that safely and fit your car well. It is a shame that the old car seat compatability database that used to exist online has been taken down.

I used to always go for Britax carseats when my children were small. Although pricey, they were so easy to use and install, and that is what made them safest in my opinion. When a seat is easy to use and install (the straps don't twist easily, for example), you are more likely to use that seat safely each and every time. So, in my opinion, that is what you should look for in addition to fitting in your car. When you go to the store, take the display seat down if you can and adjust it and strap in your child. Look for how easy it is to tighten and loosen the straps, and how easy it latches and unlatches. Some of them are really annoying and appear to be tightly latched when they are not, posing a safety hazard. Some of them by design seem to trap dirt and such. I also love the designs where there are infinite height adjustments without rethreading the straps - that is such a lifesaver because you don't have to uninstall the seat from the car when your child grows just to readjust everything.

Found these threads pertaining to your particular car:
Radian or complete air for Subaru outback wagon 2001 - Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Vehicle & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Convertible Car Seat for 2001 Subaru Legacy Outback - Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Vehicle & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums

Why rear-facing longer is important:
Rear-Facing Carseats and Safety

Get help if you can. Call for a Safe Kids inspection at 1-866-SEAT-CHECK or visit Safe Kids USA . Go to a free inspection locally. When I purchased my first Britax, the store allowed me to try it out in my car before I bought it (one of the fine perks of buying locally at a small store!). Call ahead - sometimes Toys R Us/Babies R Us will allow this too.

Hope this helps you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 04:17 PM

588 posts, read 1,439,117 times
Britax seats are very short in the leg room and ALSO have less height in the shell than do many other seats. This means that your child will outgrow the seat much sooner than he would outgrow some other brands.

I have owned MANY convertible carseats over the past 16 years (and probably even more infant seats, combination seats, and boosters. ). I have had: Evenflo Ultara V, Evenflo Medallion, Eddie Bauer 5-point, Century SmartMovePlus, Britax Roundabout, Century Bravo, Evenflo Triumph, Fisher Price Safe Embrace, Britax Wizard, Britax Boulevard, Graco SmartSeat 2, Graco MyRide, Cosco Alpha Omega, First Years True Fit, Sunshine Kids Radian 65, Sunshine Kids Radian XT, Cosco Scenera, and Safety First Uptown. I am down to only two convertibles now.

Out of all of those seats, my two favorites BY FAR are my Radians and my TrueFit. They both have super-high shells, are easy to use, and fit a variety of ages well.

I have installed my Radians and TrueFit in very small cars, but with the angle adjuster that Diono now makes for the Radian, it fits VERY well in small cars.

So, I would highly recommend:

Diono Radian XT (with an angle adjuster)

First Years True Fit

Old 07-10-2012, 12:52 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,833 times
This is why it is SO important to try the child in the seat, as well as the seat to the vehicle(s). My middle son was SO broad in the shoulders that no way would he fit comfortably in the Radian nor in many of the other brands. He fit best in the Husky/Regent of course, but then it reached its expiration date

Old 07-10-2012, 11:11 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
Reposting:
Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Vehicle & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
is the best site. You can post your child's stats (age, height, weight), your car, your budget, and any other specific concerns, and they will tell you what carseats are good for your situation. I have done it several times and they are great!

Old 07-10-2012, 12:09 PM

74 posts, read 136,632 times
thanks so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting