Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 09:05 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

Would it mean anything to anybody else to see the house where you grew up? Such house is now for sale and my good friend real estate agent is going to get me a visit and I'm wondering if my kids would like to see it as well. I have driven by it for ages and they know I always wanted to see the inside. I lived in this house in the 50's and 60's and really was the longest I ever lived in a home until I married.

A few years ago my grown son told me he actually did stop by his childhood home and asked if he would walk around in the back yard. He had no interest in the inside but his fondest moments were spent outside and he specifically interested in our family pet cemetery. He was crst fallen to see the markers had been removed and there was nothing to indicate where his pets were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 09:10 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Sure have. My kids call it Grandma and Grandpa's house.

I'd just ask your kids if they'd be interested in seeing your childhood home. That's the kind of thing I'd really enjoy and some others may not care about at all, so it's difficult to advise without knowing your kids. It can't hurt to ask, though. If they aren't interested, I'd go by myself to see it.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:20 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,693 times
I think my dd would love to see my childhood home, but it wasn't a very pleasant place for me to grow up. I think when she gets a little older I would show her, when I can explain and she can understand why it was difficult for us to grow up there. There is a creek that was behind our house that ran the whole length of the street that we used to play in, but I would have to walk through the current owner's yard to show her that.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:23 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
^^^ Same here. It's called Grandma's house, and it actually was my daughter's childhood home for a number of years as well--it's a big house, and after our rented house burned down, we moved in. Not long afterward, my now-ex had to go and I stayed there with my daughter for a few more years. We lived in a four-generation household--my grandmother, my parents, my brother, my daughter, me, and my niece on the weekend. Not popular or PC in this day and age, but contrary to popular and PC, I feel it benefitted my daughter greatly to live in that situation. My grandmother, father, and brother are all dead now, but my mom still lives there and so do two other brothers and their S.O.s.

I feel your son's sadness about his pets--the markers are long gone in our backyard, too, but I know that three dogs, a couple of cats, too many chickens to count, George the parakeet, Sparky the hamster, and several guinea pigs are back there by the stone wall. Oh yes, and Horace the goldfish that my sister and I mummified in cloth and perfume Egyptian style and buried in an ornate perfume box with a penny as treasure--he's behind one of the stones in the wall somewhere.

Hmmm. Almost forgot about Ricky Ricardo the Cuban Tree Frog. He's out there, too.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:23 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
I would absolutely love to show them my childhood home, but it's not possible for the foreseeable future. They have seen DH's childhood home.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:27 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Sure have. My kids call it Grandma and Grandpa's house.
Lol that's what I called my mom's house too.

My mom did take me to where her mom was raised as well. Old house with a lot of history. I am a history fanatic so I really enjoyed it.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:35 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Would it mean anything to anybody else to see the house where you grew up? Such house is now for sale and my good friend real estate agent is going to get me a visit and I'm wondering if my kids would like to see it as well. I have driven by it for ages and they know I always wanted to see the inside. I lived in this house in the 50's and 60's and really was the longest I ever lived in a home until I married.

A few years ago my grown son told me he actually did stop by his childhood home and asked if he would walk around in the back yard. He had no interest in the inside but his fondest moments were spent outside and he specifically interested in our family pet cemetery. He was crst fallen to see the markers had been removed and there was nothing to indicate where his pets were.
I've shown them the outside of the house. Unfortunately, it's now condemned. I do point out where my siblings and I went to school and other things. I'm actually planning on showing ODS the inside of my high school in the fall. He is really interested in architecture & history.

I'd love to see the homes of my parents and grandparents. My parents' homes were either destroyed in the Flood of 72 or are really far away. I am working on our genealogy. I'm lucky to live in the city where many of my maternal ancestors lived. Many of their homes still stand. If I were more brazen, I'd ask to see the inside of the homes, but I'll be content with simply seeing the outside of them for now.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:55 AM

74 posts, read 136,632 times
Yes, I would love to show my daughter where I grew up. I also would love to see it again. Its about a 6 hr drive, but I have been thinking about it since she was born. Something is pulling me there. I saw it for the first time in about 20 years on google street view about a year ago and was just without words for about 5mins. My father died when I was very young and I believe his ghost is still there

Old 07-04-2012, 10:41 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
MY husband and I bought our first home in the town I grew up in, so my kids always knew where my parents' house was, although only our eldest was born before they sold and moved south. Once we realized we had outgrown our little Cape Cod, the family house went on the market. I toured during the open house, and took lots of pictures to send my siblings.

We actually considered putting in an offer on it, but that was purely sentimental thinking. It still was a big old colonial that would have required a lot of money in upgrades.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:20 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
In my case it was Grandma and Grandpas house too so it was never a problem. I always wanted to drive them by the apartments I lived in before getting married and having them but we never got around to it since it wasn't convenient. Now that they are adults it might be a cool thing for them to see but I don't know, they might not really care about that stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting