Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 11:34 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
OMG, please. Do we need to do this AGAIN?
I feel you are saying this has been discussed before aren't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 11:35 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Yes, because one of the issues that needs to be answered is whether or not the time away from baby is going to make a difference. Research supports that the differences in time we're talking about are measured in minutes per day and don't make a difference. Once that is recognized, you can set about making a, rational, decision based on what your family prefers. Once you accept that time isn't the issue, you're left with this being a personal preference and you choose what works for your family.

It's not about time. It never has been but, for some reason, we've chosen to focus on time. Time needs to be taken out of the equation here because, it appears, that both SAH and WOH parents have enough time and THAT is what matters. It's not who has more time but who has enough time and it appears working status doesn't change that we have enough time. Now decisions as to what to do with the time we do have....that's another matter.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Yes, because one of the issues that needs to be answered is whether or not the time away from baby is going to make a difference. Research supports that the differences in time we're talking about are measured in minutes per day and don't make a difference. Once that is recognized, you can set about making a, rational, decision based on what your family prefers. Once you accept that time isn't the issue, you're left with this being a personal preference and you choose what works for your family.

It's not about time. It never has been but, for some reason, we've chosen to focus on time. Time needs to be taken out of the equation here because, it appears, that both SAH and WOH parents have enough time and THAT is what matters.
Which is pretty much the best solution in the end i agree. SAHP or WP can enrich their childrens lives equally or spend little quality time with them equally. Neither is superior imo, and to be honest i would not have the patience to sit at home all day

Old 07-07-2012, 11:42 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,413 times
Default The trick is::

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Which is pretty much the best solution in the end i agree. SAHP or WP can enrich their childrens lives equally or spend little quality time with them equally. Neither is superior imo, and to be honest i would not have the patience to sit at home all day
Not to "sit" at home all day. LOL--was a sahm--loved it, but we really didn't stay at home that much.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Not to "sit" at home all day. LOL--was a sahm--loved it, but we really didn't stay at home that much.
Well you know what i meant lol . I just don't have the maternal nature to be around kids younger than 6-7.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:01 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
Quote:
Because they counted parenting hours not hours under the same roof.
So does that mean time spent cooking together, cleaning together or grocery shopping together don't count?

Old 07-07-2012, 12:35 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,128 times
Quote:
One other thing to consider is what you can afford and whether you plan on having more kids. Will staying home now leave you needing to work full time after baby number 2? Trust me, it's much easier to work full time with one baby than it is a toddler and a baby.

As to the "memories" argument, you will have memories of your kids whether you work or not. It's not how much time you have but what you do with the time you have. One mistake I would beg you not to make is taking an all or nothing view of time. It's not all or nothing. There's a lot of in between.

Good luck with your decision. Whatver decision you make, make it YOUR decision. Not someone elses decision. Take the advice here and see how it applies to your life.
I think this is very solid advice, particularly the last paragraph.

Quote:
Yes, this. It would be nice if we could just stick to the OPs specific situation and not have the same SAHM/WM argument that we seem to have every two or three months.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:45 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
So does that mean time spent cooking together, cleaning together or grocery shopping together don't count?
Who said it didn't? There is a difference between being under the same roof and actually interacting.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:27 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
Quote:
Who said it didn't? There is a difference between being under the same roof and actually interacting.
No one. I was simply asking a question.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:38 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I feel you are saying this has been discussed before aren't you?
Where? On THIS forum? No way.

OP - do what works best for YOU and your family and that's really the only thing you can do regardless of the number of children. In what situation will YOU be the happiest? Because if Mama is happy . . . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting