Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 09:42 AM

20 posts, read 41,377 times

Advertisements

I think it's wonderful. The disparity in the modeling world makes me sad for our younger girls and women. I think they are trying to change the sample size but it will probably be a few more years before that takes place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 11:17 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Are you sure? Because i was under the impression a good portion of the photos are done by the magazines.
Yes, the vast majority of photos in magazines are stock photos except for main features and in fashion magazines, layouts. Otherwise, the rest are stock.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:19 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, the vast majority of photos in magazines are stock photos except for main features and in fashion magazines, layouts. Otherwise, the rest are stock.
Well to my understanding those are the pictures they are changing. The ones they actually control. Obviously when it comes to ad's and such you are bound by what the company puts out

Old 07-06-2012, 11:20 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Well to my understanding those are the pictures they are changing. The ones they actually control. Obviously when it comes to ad's and such you are bound by what the company puts out

Well the magazine does hold discretion on what it runs - ad or not. But it is impossible to publish professionally and not use photoshop. I do not believe Seventeen or any other magazine will abolish the use of it.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:25 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Well the magazine does hold discretion on what it runs - ad or not. But it is impossible to publish professionally and not use photoshop. I do not believe Seventeen or any other magazine will abolish the use of it.
Nope at least not anytime soon i imagine. As long as young girls drive sales in makeup, and such they have cause to continue using it. That drops then of course the magazine now has no motivators to use such ads/ models. I never liked seventeen anyway.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:41 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:
Seventeen magazine has made a pretty impressive pledge -- no more skin and bones girls in its pages.[LEFT]
Read more: Seventeen magazine pledges to use only
[/LEFT]
Since when did Seventeen have "skin and bones" models, anyway? It's not high fashion and, at least when I had a subscription a decade ago, it features nothing but young celebrities and catalog-esque models.

I think targeting magazines for their photoshopping completely misses the point. I really don't care if a magazine smooths a wrinkled dress, hides dark undereyes, or covers a blemish. They're just trying to creating a pretty picture, who cares if it's real or not?

What these petitions SHOULD target are the advertisements, the hair and makeup manufacturers. They're selling a product that isn't even real because they're always combined with photoshop. It's a blatant lie and I think far more sinister than showing the latest teen dream acne free on the cover of Seventeen.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:59 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
I have never seen skin and bone girls in Seventeen.

Usually they have a fashion section for different looks of girls of all body types, they include the larger girls and smaller girls, they encompass everything which is pretty realistic IMO.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 581 times
I was so pleased that they try to keep all of their content pure and natural and the magazine itself really encourages girls to have more self confidence and to accept themselves.

Last edited by JustJulia; 07-16-2012 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: brand-new posters may not post links
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting