Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 10:13 PM

73 posts, read 324,934 times

Advertisements

How Do You Guys Feel About Stay At Home Dads? Some People Think That Its Okay For A Man To Go Out And Work While The Woman Stays At Home. But If The Woman Goes Out And Gets A Job And The Man Stays Home Then He's A Loser? Why Is That? I Think Its Okay For A Man To Stay Home Just Like Its Okay For The Woman To Stay Home. Just Venting Let Me Know? CAUSE I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH TAKING CARE OF MY MAN AND MY KIDS, BESIDES TAKING CARE OF KIDS IS A JOB ALL IN ITS OWN

Last edited by jp1018; 09-30-2007 at 11:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 10:42 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1018 View Post
How Do You Guys Feel About Stay At Home Dads? Some People Think That Its Okay For A Man To Go Out And Work While The Woman Stays At Home. But If The Woman Goes Out And Gets A Job And The Man Stays Home Then He's A Loser? Why Is That? I Think Its Okay For A Man To Stay Home Just Like Its Okay For The Woman To Stay Home. Just Venting Let Me Know:d
I think it is absolutely fabulous.
Good for you!

Old 09-30-2007, 11:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
How Do You Guys Feel About Stay At Home Dads? Some People Think That Its Okay For A Man To Go Out And Work While The Woman Stays At Home. But If The Woman Goes Out And Gets A Job And The Man Stays Home Then He's A Loser? Why Is That? I Think Its Okay For A Man To Stay Home Just Like Its Okay For The Woman To Stay Home. Just Venting Let Me Know:d
very few women can walk this road. requires tremendous emotional control zero denial behavior, no "gate keeping". its goes completely against all her basic instincts. also we live in a society that is obsessed with pedafilia of which charges are almost exclusively aimed at white males. this compounds the problem
she will also have to deal with her basic instinct to disrespect the man for not working and not earning what she does. not to mention cleaning "her house" and taking care of "her children"
the fact that the whole thing was her idea and he gave up a 120k cpa job to do this, is irrelavant to her now viewing him as an unemployed bum, goofing off in her house. worse she liked having sex with a good looking 120k cpa that was kind of sexy, but a house daddy??? please give me a break.

lots of primal instinct stuff to handle in this one.
reason logal and intellect play little or no role at all in this particular theatre scene.
good luck.

stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-30-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
very few women can walk this road. requires tremendous emotional control zero denial behavior, no "gate keeping". its goes completely against all her basic instincts. also we live in a society that is obsessed with pedafilia of which charges are almost exclusively aimed at white males. this compounds the problem
she will also have to deal with her basic instinct to disrespect the man for not working and not earning what she does. not to mention cleaning "her house" and taking care of "her children"
the fact that the whole thing was her idea and he gave up a 120k cpa job to do this, is irrelavant to her now viewing him as an unemployed bum, goofing off in her house. worse she liked having sex with a good looking 120k cpa that was kind of sexy, but a house daddy??? please give me a break.

lots of primal instinct stuff to handle in this one.
reason logal and intellect play little or no role at all in this particular theatre scene.
good luck.

stephen s
san diego ca
I'M THE ONE WHO WROTE THIS AND I WOULD LOVE FOR MY MAN TO STAY HOME WHILE I WORK. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY HOUSE, MY KIDS, OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT IF ITS NOT AN ISSUE WHEN HE WORKS WHY WOULD IT BE IF I WORK???

Old 10-01-2007, 12:25 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
I'M THE ONE WHO WROTE THIS AND I WOULD LOVE FOR MY MAN TO STAY HOME WHILE I WORK. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY HOUSE, MY KIDS, OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT IF ITS NOT AN ISSUE WHEN HE WORKS WHY WOULD IT BE IF I WORK???
dont shout please.
stephen

Old 10-01-2007, 02:06 AM

Not Shouting Its How You Feel. I Asked Right? Thank You For Your Input.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:50 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,656,730 times
I would give anything to walk away from working forever and stay at home full-time taking care of kids. I'm sure it would be a much more rewarding experience than any job could ever be.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:04 AM

304 posts, read 1,430,667 times
Quote:
How Do You Guys Feel About Stay At Home Dads? Some People Think That Its Okay For A Man To Go Out And Work While The Woman Stays At Home. But If The Woman Goes Out And Gets A Job And The Man Stays Home Then He's A Loser? Why Is That? I Think Its Okay For A Man To Stay Home Just Like Its Okay For The Woman To Stay Home. Just Venting Let Me Know? CAUSE I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH TAKING CARE OF MY MAN AND MY KIDS, BESIDES TAKING CARE OF KIDS IS A JOB ALL IN ITS OWN
jp1018,

I think stay at home dads are great....I'm married to one! We made the decision that one of us should stay at home with our kids until they are in school full time, and decided that my husband would be better suited for this role than I would. We see news stories or articles about SAHDs, but most of the time the father has been laid off from work and they were forced into the situation. We get frustrated that the media portrays SAHD households as a "last resort". We have 3 sons and I think our lifestyle has set a good example for them.

We get mixed reactions to our chosen lifestyle. Some are supportive and tell us they think it is great. Unfortunately we also encounter people who look down on us...in particular, they look down on my husband as inadequate. We had a couple of neighbors that lived across the street from us who told my husband that everyone thinks he acts like a woman since he is a stay at home dad (this coming from two stay at home moms). One time we were at a birthday party for a friend, and one of the guests asked my husband what he did for a living. My husband told him he was a stay at home dad...the guy had a blank look on his face and then said "yes, but what do you do for a living?". Other times we get the response of "oh...that's...ummm...interesting", but it is clear that they don't think it is appropriate! My husband's mom tries to be supportive, but she also thinks my husband is being lazy because he isn't bringing home a paycheck. She is always suggesting he needs to find a part time job to bring home extra money. The man works his tail off! Taking care of three boys and a house is tough work. I find her attitude ironic since she was a stay at home mom to 3 kids. You just have to not let it bother you. You just need to do what is best for YOUR family!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:06 AM

232 posts, read 846,178 times
I think I would have no problem with a stay at home dad, if he did everything that I was used to doing when I was at home. I have seen this situation before with people I respected very much and the father was AMAZING.

My problem is I never intended to be the sole breadwinner. Hubby had a long term illness that forced me into the market.....I understood and was able to deal with that. What it has become however is a convenient excuse.

"Well, I can't just go look for work. Someone has to take care of our son and we are NOT doing a sitter."

I get frustrated because he doesn't DO anything. He reads.....plays online games......piddles with his hobbies. The house is occassionaly cleaned, but never thoroughly. Dinner is whatever he pull from the freezer meals. He doesn't do much of anything with our son either......

Yea, I'm annoyed and I don't like it one little bit.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:16 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,258 times
Quote:

I don't think anybody really cares what a particular couple does as long as they take care of the children and don't ask the govt for assitance.

It's true that some people with think your husband is "different" if he is the stay at home parent and you go to work. Why would you care if it is the way you want to raise your family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting