U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 11:38 AM

14,323 posts, read 11,331,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
You are funny....the heart attack was a nice touch....The bus stop ? Books? - I was just being an elite prick and judging people - what's wrong with that- The tramp stamp comment was about those who think they look sexy all end up looking the same-- The gutter spitting peasants....

Teach your daughter not to spit in public...what's wrong with that? If you are a millionaire you can afford to spit where you want- poor people should not spit- they need all the help they can get through proper behavior....gotta go...I feel another cardiac arrest coming...

Yes the problem I have with those who think that dated "tramp stamp" tattoo is sexy is in the idea that if someone is making love to them doggy style- they have no identity - they will all look the same...They don't take that into consideration..

Yah it's a problem with earrings too. The idea that wearing earrings might be attractive - they have no identity. They all wind up looking the same. Presumably despite the fact that maybe their earrings are different. Or that some people really like earrings. Oh wait. That is just some big of decoration.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 11:53 AM

59,939 posts, read 46,682,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
Toddlers and Tiaras DOES do a good job of glorifying little girls' desire to look sexy at an early age, huh?

I saw an episode of this show and just shuddered. My son made a funny remark and said basically what you're saying- that their parents are training them to become strippers! I'm not saying that it'll happen to every little pageant girl, but the potential is most likely pretty high.

I just wish girls would take the time to actually BE girls, instead of racing to look more mature and 'sexy'. Like I said, I'm glad I don't have a daughter and don't have to deal with her wanting to look sexy.
We are clearly miscommunicating but I'm not sure how my description of the girl wearing the "sexy cop uniform" was in any way meant to be a positive thing.

Frankly, I think from what I've seen most of the toddlers type situations don't "sex up" the kid and the family is doing something together as a family and the kid isn't just laying around so while it isn't something I would do it's not terrible. The small percentage however are clearly bound for trouble like a mom whom repeatedly mentioned she only had a daughter so she could do pageants as was disappointed after 3 boys in a row.

It's like little league in that way. For a group of reasonable parents you will have a couple that scream at the kids and are borderline abusive etc etc.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:04 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,016,903 times
DIGNITY!!!!! That's the word I was looking for. Dignity. There's no dignity in our society any longer, and kids are learning a complete absence of dignity from the media, music, videogames, computer, advertisements, TV, movies, from their friends, from their parents, from watching other adults, other kids, etc. Kids absorb whatever they see or hear. The more they see it and hear it, the more it is reinforced, and the harder it is for them to learn a different way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
If a parent has any common sense they will teach their daughters to have dignity- To be refined...to be ladies that will be respected and by being that will do better in life and rise up to a better class..where there is more opportunity...To not teach the art of being a re-fined young woman...leads a child downward towards a less desirable place - There is no real future for "sexy" with out substance and class...Time that America started to re-create some nobility...instead of this long stream of gutter spitting peasants that seem to be increasing...Give your daughter a fighting chance in life....Give her more to look forward to than getting a tramp stamp tattoo on her lower back when she turns 17...A mark that will mark her as an official member of the lower class.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:19 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,016,903 times
What I see is that from Teen Vogue, to regular Vogue, to men's magazines, to women's magazines, to movies, to videogames, to every imaginable advertisement, to anything with or without fashion (from runway modeling to Nascar), to Hollywood, to every form of media, younger girls are portrayed as women, or little girls are portrayed as women. This is not touching on the wave of anorexic models, whether girls or teens, which are now the expected standard of "beauty" for women.

And, something I haven't even mentioned: the advertising industry's faked standard of what women's beauty should be:

Killing Us Softly 4: Advertising's Image of Women [Trailer] - Available on DVD - YouTube

It all adds up to what I consider a disregard, disrespect, and disdain of and for girls and women, sexualizing little girls, and degrading girls and women all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
We are clearly miscommunicating but I'm not sure how my description of the girl wearing the "sexy cop uniform" was in any way meant to be a positive thing.

Frankly, I think from what I've seen most of the toddlers type situations don't "sex up" the kid and the family is doing something together as a family and the kid isn't just laying around so while it isn't something I would do it's not terrible. The small percentage however are clearly bound for trouble like a mom whom repeatedly mentioned she only had a daughter so she could do pageants as was disappointed after 3 boys in a row.

It's like little league in that way. For a group of reasonable parents you will have a couple that scream at the kids and are borderline abusive etc etc.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,137 times
Default uniforms still don't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
When my daughter was in 1st grade, there was a group of 2nd grade girls that decided if you were sexy or not, and therefore, cool or not. If you weren't sexy, you couldn't go to their parties, playdates, play at recess, etc. You had to remove your clothes and show them your body. You then had to wear certain clothing. Overnight, my daughter went from loving Land's End and similar dresses, to wanting 'tight' jeans and skimpy shirts - wanting to wear scarves as tops, for instance.

I nipped it in the bud. I explained that anyone who thought a 6 year old was sexy was sick. I explained that 6 year olds are cute, and shouldn't be sexy. I cut off all ties with that group of girls and explained why to the ringleader's mother (a self proclaimed "MILF").

She's about to be 10 now, and we still struggle with that - she still wants to be sexy. For this reason, I choose her clothing. She can choose what to wear from what I buy, but she has no say in what I buy (though I do take her tastes into consideration). Any clothing that begins to be close fitting is immediately done away with... I can't begin to describe the damage that "MILF" and her daughter did. To me, a "MILF" is just an insecure person, ugly on the inside, that I do not wish to associate with... it's not jealousy - it's disgust.

I hope she grows out of it before she's a teen, though I know that's unlikely. Luckily, her public school requires uniforms, and there's nothing 'sexy' about the uniform... low cut pants/skinny pants are not allowed, skirt length is monitored, etc - so they don't have an opportunity to make the uniform 'sexy' either.

A girl who dresses appropriately is so much sexier than a tramp in low riding short shorts and a top that's two sizes too small... especially considering that most people are at least slightly overweight these days. I have stressed these things to my daughter and point out examples.

I've also cautioned her that if she does not like what I buy for her, I'll allow her father to pick out her clothing. He leans toward an "Amish" look for little girls (little girls meaning his daughter and her friends).
You mentioned that you were thankful for your daughters public schoolhad an uniform, but as a student who goes to a school who also has uniforms, I can tell you it doesn't matter. Skirts were supposed to be 3 fingers above the knee, the way some girls wear them is ridiculus! The fabric barely reaches midtight, and time and time again teachers tell them to pull them down. They just don't care. The shorts at school, that are already short enough, are rolled up even higher.
And all that if they are even wearing uniforms. I am really worried with the future. After reading and watching videos about the '20's and how women began wearing shorter dresses, it doesn't seem they ever stopped getting shorter. A friend of mine joked how in the future they would call us prudes. It is not that i'm completly agaisnt some 'skimpy clothes' (emphasize the word some) but how they sexualize only the female body... There was a reason why clothes were invented.

Last edited by Jaded; 03-27-2014 at 12:03 AM..

Old 03-27-2014, 06:07 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,775,154 times
So much pearl-clutching in this thread.
Not that I support six year olds dressing "sexy".
But I do think people are thinking way too much into it and giving some sort of intent even when there isn't one.

Six year olds don't know what "sexy" is. They don't know it means being sexually attractive to the opposite sex. They just hear the word and with the way it's being thrown around today they take it to mean just 'pretty' or 'cool' - which is sort of how it's becoming generally used in the public anyway. People use it to mean 'attractive' or 'desirable' even when it comes to inanimate objects.

And no two-piece bikinis little girls, really? I think that's taking it a bit far. Does that mean every grown woman wearing a bikini on the beach is trying to be 'sexy'??

Old 03-27-2014, 07:29 PM

133 posts, read 136,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
So much pearl-clutching in this thread.
Not that I support six year olds dressing "sexy".
But I do think people are thinking way too much into it and giving some sort of intent even when there isn't one.

Six year olds don't know what "sexy" is. They don't know it means being sexually attractive to the opposite sex. They just hear the word and with the way it's being thrown around today they take it to mean just 'pretty' or 'cool' - which is sort of how it's becoming generally used in the public anyway. People use it to mean 'attractive' or 'desirable' even when it comes to inanimate objects.

And no two-piece bikinis little girls, really? I think that's taking it a bit far. Does that mean every grown woman wearing a bikini on the beach is trying to be 'sexy'??
I agree with you. "Sexy" definitely means different things.

I hope to have a daughter one day (soon) and while I wouldn't want her to be obsessed with looking sexy at six, I wouldn't want to shield her from all things growing up. I'd want to raise a confident young woman, comfortable with her body and sexuality. Learning to love yourself and your body begins early.

I don't see anything wrong with a young girl wearing a bikini. It's a two piece bathing suit. I've seen babies and toddlers run around on the beach wearing nothing but a diaper.

What bothers me is that partial skin shown/nudity=SEX, which is not the case. That's a bad message to teach a child.

As for dying hair/cosmetic surgery/make-up & piercings- I don't understand the hate. Yes, we should teach our children to love themselves and their bodies, to hone their sexuality, but controlling their bodies is another thing. I would never prevent my child from getting his hair colored or shame him for doing it. Do I think he is gorgeous inside and out? Yes. Would I prevent him from making changes and having fun with his look? No. His body, his decision. I had a cosmetic surgery at 16 and another at 19, so I can't judge. I still feel like there's nothing wrong with bettering yourself and looking how you want to.

I had a French mother. Maybe that's why I feel this way.

Edit: Just noticed this is an old thread.

Last edited by Frustrated Hippy; 03-27-2014 at 07:37 PM..

Old 03-16-2021, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 150 times
[url]https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/21609-self-sexualization-young-girls.html[/url]

Old 03-16-2021, 08:03 PM

2,131 posts, read 1,095,515 times
From the video above: Photoshopped advertisements give girls anorexia, make men violent and lead to terrorism. Yes, they really went there.

Old Today, 07:30 AM

2,209 posts, read 635,918 times
My daughter is almost 5 and a few weeks ago she went through a phase where she wanted to dress up to look pretty. I told her you always look pretty. Also if we're reading a book or watching a show where there's a cute girl she'll say I want to be that girl she's pretty. We watched Annie the other night and when grace was in her slip brushing her hair my daughter goes I'm that lady!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting