U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 04:39 AM

24,682 posts, read 49,076,298 times

Advertisements

Everything is geared to be 'sexy' these days. Back in the 90s, teenage girls wanted to be cool, now all they want to be is sexy. Clothes are getting skimpier, so of course younger girls are going to start being exposed to this. The objectification of women is probably worse than it ever was. Also have you watched some of those kids TV shows? They're just awful. Characters who try to be all grown all, talk in annoying ditzy Valley-girl tones about dating and shopping and stuff, creating like Paris Hilton's. What happened to stories that told children morals and values without being preachy? We're creating a generation of kids who want to look all grown up on the outside but are taking longer to mature on the inside.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 08:17 AM

14,204 posts, read 10,844,180 times
You know i read about this stuff all the time yet have never actually seen all this rampant 'child sexy' i keep hearing about in all these articles.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:22 AM

36,503 posts, read 47,610,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
You know i read about this stuff all the time yet have never actually seen all this rampant 'child sexy' i keep hearing about in all these articles.
I'm sure it is worse in some communities than others or even in schools. But believe me it is there. Just look at our national advertising if you want to see this in action.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:48 AM

3,646 posts, read 10,131,212 times
When my daughter was in 1st grade, there was a group of 2nd grade girls that decided if you were sexy or not, and therefore, cool or not. If you weren't sexy, you couldn't go to their parties, playdates, play at recess, etc. You had to remove your clothes and show them your body. You then had to wear certain clothing. Overnight, my daughter went from loving Land's End and similar dresses, to wanting 'tight' jeans and skimpy shirts - wanting to wear scarves as tops, for instance.

I nipped it in the bud. I explained that anyone who thought a 6 year old was sexy was sick. I explained that 6 year olds are cute, and shouldn't be sexy. I cut off all ties with that group of girls and explained why to the ringleader's mother (a self proclaimed "MILF").

She's about to be 10 now, and we still struggle with that - she still wants to be sexy. For this reason, I choose her clothing. She can choose what to wear from what I buy, but she has no say in what I buy (though I do take her tastes into consideration). Any clothing that begins to be close fitting is immediately done away with... I can't begin to describe the damage that "MILF" and her daughter did. To me, a "MILF" is just an insecure person, ugly on the inside, that I do not wish to associate with... it's not jealousy - it's disgust.

I hope she grows out of it before she's a teen, though I know that's unlikely. Luckily, her public school requires uniforms, and there's nothing 'sexy' about the uniform... low cut pants/skinny pants are not allowed, skirt length is monitored, etc - so they don't have an opportunity to make the uniform 'sexy' either.

A girl who dresses appropriately is so much sexier than a tramp in low riding short shorts and a top that's two sizes too small... especially considering that most people are at least slightly overweight these days. I have stressed these things to my daughter and point out examples.

I've also cautioned her that if she does not like what I buy for her, I'll allow her father to pick out her clothing. He leans toward an "Amish" look for little girls (little girls meaning his daughter and her friends).

Old 07-17-2012, 11:49 AM

885 posts, read 1,706,855 times
The short shorts around here are in full force for any girl 5 and above. The kind that might as well not even be there... it's gross and pathetic.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:56 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,210,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
When my daughter was in 1st grade, there was a group of 2nd grade girls that decided if you were sexy or not, and therefore, cool or not. If you weren't sexy, you couldn't go to their parties, playdates, play at recess, etc. You had to remove your clothes and show them your body. You then had to wear certain clothing. Overnight, my daughter went from loving Land's End and similar dresses, to wanting 'tight' jeans and skimpy shirts - wanting to wear scarves as tops, for instance.

I nipped it in the bud. I explained that anyone who thought a 6 year old was sexy was sick. I explained that 6 year olds are cute, and shouldn't be sexy. I cut off all ties with that group of girls and explained why to the ringleader's mother (a self proclaimed "MILF").

She's about to be 10 now, and we still struggle with that - she still wants to be sexy. For this reason, I choose her clothing. She can choose what to wear from what I buy, but she has no say in what I buy (though I do take her tastes into consideration). Any clothing that begins to be close fitting is immediately done away with... I can't begin to describe the damage that "MILF" and her daughter did. To me, a "MILF" is just an insecure person, ugly on the inside, that I do not wish to associate with... it's not jealousy - it's disgust.

I hope she grows out of it before she's a teen, though I know that's unlikely. Luckily, her public school requires uniforms, and there's nothing 'sexy' about the uniform... low cut pants/skinny pants are not allowed, skirt length is monitored, etc - so they don't have an opportunity to make the uniform 'sexy' either.

A girl who dresses appropriately is so much sexier than a tramp in low riding short shorts and a top that's two sizes too small... especially considering that most people are at least slightly overweight these days. I have stressed these things to my daughter and point out examples.

I've also cautioned her that if she does not like what I buy for her, I'll allow her father to pick out her clothing. He leans toward an "Amish" look for little girls (little girls meaning his daughter and her friends).
This is horrible, and makes me fear for my dd. So far, she has remained pretty innocent, shows no interest in being "sexy," and really has no idea what sexy even is. I don't allow her to wear two pieces swimsuits or midriff bearing tops, pants or shorts with writing on the butt, short shorts or skirts, etc. She has questioned me on the two piece swimsuits when she sees so many other little girls wearing them, but I've told her that I think her belly needs to be covered until she's older and she hasn't pressed the issue.

She will be starting school this fall though, and I would absolutely have a fit if she ran across a group like this though. OMG. What would make SECOND graders that obsessed with sexiness? That "MILF" needs to be a "Mom I'd Like to SLAP!" When her dd ends up pregnant in middle school, she'll be the first to wonder why.

Thank goodness my dd's public school wears uniforms!

Old 07-17-2012, 03:34 PM

14,323 posts, read 11,257,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
This is horrible, and makes me fear for my dd. So far, she has remained pretty innocent, shows no interest in being "sexy," and really has no idea what sexy even is. I don't allow her to wear two pieces swimsuits or midriff bearing tops, pants or shorts with writing on the butt, short shorts or skirts, etc. She has questioned me on the two piece swimsuits when she sees so many other little girls wearing them, but I've told her that I think her belly needs to be covered until she's older and she hasn't pressed the issue.
My DD is going into third. Her best friend is going into fifth. (Weird I know.) I would worry that the attention at this young age to things like swimsuit allowance is more likely to back fire and bring unwanted attention to the non issue. DD is still into little girly fashion. But yah monitoring and controlling their attire makes me fear the forbidden fruit syndrome.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:00 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,210,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
My DD is going into third. Her best friend is going into fifth. (Weird I know.) I would worry that the attention at this young age to things like swimsuit allowance is more likely to back fire and bring unwanted attention to the non issue. DD is still into little girly fashion. But yah monitoring and controlling their attire makes me fear the forbidden fruit syndrome.
Yeah, I guess the forbidden fruit syndrome is a possibility. But the way I see it, I am the parent, I purchase clothing, and I decide what is appropriate. She has choices within the range that I decide is reasonable. I wouldn't get TOO carried away with it for fear of that rebellion, but yet and still, she's 5. There are some things that a 5 yr old shouldn't wear, and some kinds of attention that a 5 yr old can't handle or understand...or 6, 7, 8, or 12 yr old for that matter. Until a girl is old enough to know how to responsibly handle male comments and/or attention that may come her way when she is wearing certain things, then she shouldn't be wearing them. Just my opinion though, and personally, I see nothing wrong with 2 piece swimsuits and think they're rather adorable, I just worry about the wrong kind of creep seeing it differently.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:56 PM

13,391 posts, read 16,883,879 times
I'm wondering if the dolls they used for their "research" looked the same...except for the clothes...most young children would go for the prettiest doll....as for little 6 year old girls wanting to look "sexy"...I doubt they even know what the word sexy means...far as I'm concerned they're just emulating their mamas at that age....so if she dresses "sexy"....they'll want to as well....

Old 07-17-2012, 05:37 PM

14,204 posts, read 10,844,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm sure it is worse in some communities than others or even in schools. But believe me it is there. Just look at our national advertising if you want to see this in action.
I do and i really don't see it really. Besides a handful of isolated things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting