U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 11:14 PM

4,693 posts, read 5,078,180 times

Advertisements

There is a shortage of adult women who want to look sexy in our culture. While 6 is too young, I would hope they keep or renew this interest when they get older.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 01:15 PM

7,300 posts, read 5,989,765 times
I totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Don't you ever get tired of telling me how I should think? I didn't say it was necessary anyways. I said your life will be hell if you don't have anything to offer men in the attractiveness department. you may as well be a coat rack, that's equivalent to being banished.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:20 PM

What precisely are you referring to with this particular comment: shortage of adult women who want to look sexy in our culture.

Further, what do you personally do for yourself to make yourself look 'sexy?'

Do you feel that an ugly person can be sexy?

Also, what standard do you use for what 'sexy' means, and do you have a table, chart, or some sort of descriptive rating scale you use for this?

Lastly, does 'looking sexy' have any intrinsic redeeming value of any sort, and would you mind providing me with one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
There is a shortage of adult women who want to look sexy in our culture. While 6 is too young, I would hope they keep or renew this interest when they get older.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:23 PM

14,323 posts, read 11,264,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
There's a difference between telling someone how to think and telling someone they're wrong. Your assessment of how women are treated in our society is wrong, or at best exaggerated to the point of being the meaningless dribble of a woman stuck in the mindset of an overly dramatic teenager.

It certainly is not and never was the world I lived in. But sometimes it is easier to blame whatever ills one suffers on others, damned wretched society or whatever.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:28 PM

2,996 posts, read 5,190,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Interesting study about self sexualization in young girls.

Girls as young as 6 want to be 'sexy,' study says - TODAYMoms
Its shocking how sexualized we have made our youngsters. Parents really have their job cut out for them in trying like heck to keep the innocense of their kids in tact. So many are headed down the fast track of becoming sexual objects for boys to use and abuse. Perhaps the greatest 'thanks' should go to the Pop-Divas strutting their sexual parts around on stage carressing them, shoving them in front of the camera , and giving instructions on how to get a guy thru their irresponsible sexually immoral messages while dressed up in their provacative underwear garments.

What a travesty that we make millionaires out of them for giving our children destructive messages which many will follow thru on as they get a bit older.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:31 PM

That's what I was thinking, that kids are being allowed the rights of adulthood with 0 the responsibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Everything is geared to be 'sexy' these days. Back in the 90s, teenage girls wanted to be cool, now all they want to be is sexy. Clothes are getting skimpier, so of course younger girls are going to start being exposed to this. The objectification of women is probably worse than it ever was. Also have you watched some of those kids TV shows? They're just awful. Characters who try to be all grown all, talk in annoying ditzy Valley-girl tones about dating and shopping and stuff, creating like Paris Hilton's. What happened to stories that told children morals and values without being preachy? We're creating a generation of kids who want to look all grown up on the outside but are taking longer to mature on the inside.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:35 PM

You haven't seen 13-16 year olds with hems up the wazoo? Tattoos? Lipstick and makeup as dark as a showgirl in Las Vegas? Carrying a 9-month offspring in their belly? Haven't read how they post about how they gave so-and-so oral sex, and how that's not really sex so it doesn't matter anyway? Haven't heard of sexting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
You know i read about this stuff all the time yet have never actually seen all this rampant 'child sexy' i keep hearing about in all these articles.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:38 PM

My sister points out half-naked girls on the street to her girls, and says, "Look at her, poor thing. What do you say about taking up a collection for her, so she can afford to buy some clothing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
A girl who dresses appropriately is so much sexier than a tramp in low riding short shorts and a top that's two sizes too small... especially considering that most people are at least slightly overweight these days. I have stressed these things to my daughter and point out examples.

I've also cautioned her that if she does not like what I buy for her, I'll allow her father to pick out her clothing. He leans toward an "Amish" look for little girls (little girls meaning his daughter and her friends).

Old 07-18-2012, 01:45 PM

I think this is the first generation in history worried sick that kids might not be 100% joyful, happy, delighted, and delirious with their life. This generation's parents live horrified lest the kids should disapprove of what they say, demand, or what rules they put in place.

There's a book I read not long ago (got it free, so decided to look through it). It's called, "I'M NOT YOUR FRIEND; I'M YOUR PARENT." It takes about how to set boundaries again, which were lost when kids were turned into some sort of shortened pal of the parents. Pretty cool book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Yeah, I guess the forbidden fruit syndrome is a possibility. But the way I see it, I am the parent, I purchase clothing, and I decide what is appropriate. She has choices within the range that I decide is reasonable. I wouldn't get TOO carried away with it for fear of that rebellion, but yet and still, she's 5. There are some things that a 5 yr old shouldn't wear, and some kinds of attention that a 5 yr old can't handle or understand...or 6, 7, 8, or 12 yr old for that matter. Until a girl is old enough to know how to responsibly handle male comments and/or attention that may come her way when she is wearing certain things, then she shouldn't be wearing them. Just my opinion though, and personally, I see nothing wrong with 2 piece swimsuits and think they're rather adorable, I just worry about the wrong kind of creep seeing it differently.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:47 PM

Your whole post summarizes the whole problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHapa View Post
As a child I looked up to my parents, their friends and various neighbors. Now, little girls look up to Katy Perry, Niki Minaj, and the Kardashians. Too, too much media (TV, web), too young. It starts and ends with the parenting.

My own rants:
- when are parents going to stop buying sweat pants with the words, JUICY, SEXY or PINK or such plastered across the bottom for their children???
- not to be paranoid, but there truly are pedophiles out there who scope out very young children. Why, in essence, paint a target on your little girl's backside???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting