U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 06:49 PM

12,977 posts, read 13,037,878 times

Advertisements

If you don't want to let your children wear certain items of clothing, then don't. It's called parenting. As for other children, it's not my business.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 01:22 AM

6,155 posts, read 7,115,069 times
Study says this, study says that....

Old 07-19-2012, 08:08 PM

7,300 posts, read 5,994,967 times
Like these 70s college students?

dancer68844:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Hmm, I distinctly remember the hot-pants, tube-tops/boob tubes, and mini-mini skirts in the early 70's causing kanipshin fits among moms. Same old.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:11 PM

You really see no problem with the way women and girls dress compared with men and boys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
IMO, we really need one big "the world is going to hades in a hand basket/what's wrong with kids these days" master thread. It is getting overwhelming trying to follow the abundance of threads on the theme.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Yeah, but she's still a little girl. Looking at that and seeing that as an attempt to look sexual is like thinking a topless toddler at the pool is too skimpy. And at that age she could have grown 3 inches since her mom bought those shorts.
I understand that poor people who cannot afford new clothes for their kids when these are growing excessively fast, can get some really cheap buys at Goodwill, which has a half-off sale on Mondays. A pair of shorts, can be 50 cents, $1.00, $1.50... Some of them with the label still on!!

Old 07-19-2012, 08:56 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,519,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
You really see no problem with the way women and girls dress compared with men and boys?
Not sure how you got that from my post, but in general there seems to be a lot of "oh no, what is the world coming to" and "what about the good old days" on this board. I don't buy into the wholesale decay of today's youth and the terrible generation of parents that are raising them notions that seem so popular among some posters. That was what my comment was referring to.

To address your question, I don't know that there is one way that women and girls dress these days.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:52 AM

973 posts, read 1,959,970 times
My DD's friend expressed her upset with being 'fat', she's a month older than my dd, they are both 7, and will be in 2nd grade in the fall. Her mother is a close friend of mine, and she's never like that. This kid is skinny!!!! But, my kid, her bestie, is, 'sticks and bones', like me, even eating whatever.

My 'twin', back in my home state, our girls are 2 weeks apart in age. Her hubby compared the girls, and asked if his DD's 'build' compared to my 'stick girl', at THREE!!!!!! Sad. My kids are great eaters, we are just thin. I was a stick as a kid too. My kids eat all the time, but are tall and very, very slender for their age.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:55 AM

973 posts, read 1,959,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I understand that poor people who cannot afford new clothes for their kids when these are growing excessively fast, can get some really cheap buys at Goodwill, which has a half-off sale on Mondays. A pair of shorts, can be 50 cents, $1.00, $1.50... Some of them with the label still on!!
We can afford it, but, I'm cheap, I buy 2nd hand, especially 50% off, Ike it is Friday at a local store. I'll be shopping on Friday. my 2 kids are very tall, and very, very skinny. Lol

Old 07-20-2012, 01:41 AM

500 posts, read 659,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Not sure how you got that from my post, but in general there seems to be a lot of "oh no, what is the world coming to" and "what about the good old days" on this board. I don't buy into the wholesale decay of today's youth and the terrible generation of parents that are raising them notions that seem so popular among some posters. That was what my comment was referring to.

To address your question, I don't know that there is one way that women and girls dress these days.
^^^^^This^^^^^^
Maybe I'm just an old-timer on this board but it seems like there are some younger people here without the perspective of time. I'm old enough to remember the 70's (spandex,see-through tops, short-shorts, etc.) and the 80's (Madonna,Cyndy Lauper,etc). Actually, come to think of it, I was 6 in the 60's and there was a lot of craziness about dress even back then.

Girls have always been influenced by what they see in the media but it's up to us as parents to be the bigger influence. If the parents are trashy in dress and attitude, unfortunately that's the influence that their children will likely follow. I have an 11-year old who doesn't follow Katy Perry and can't stand Niki Minaj. I don't ban her from listening to or watching them, but have discussions about what they are about.

It sounds like there are some places out there make this a more difficult challenge but that doesn't mean every parent cannot be the leader in this. Just like one of the PP's who broke off her daughter from kids trying to influence hers into being 'sexy' in second grade. Her dd was probably unhappy about it but will thank her later. So my advice to younger parents is take charge, acknowledge to your kids what's in the media and around them, but keep the discussions open about what you want them to follow and you have a good shot at not worrying about having a 'sexy' six year old.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:05 AM

24,682 posts, read 49,138,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
There is a shortage of adult women who want to look sexy in our culture. While 6 is too young, I would hope they keep or renew this interest when they get older.
Are you living in upside down world? I see tons of women whose main goal in life is to be 'smexy.' lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting