Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 04:54 PM

491 posts, read 2,290,504 times

Advertisements

As a child I looked up to my parents, their friends and various neighbors. Now, little girls look up to Katy Perry, Niki Minaj, and the Kardashians. Too, too much media (TV, web), too young. It starts and ends with the parenting.

My own rants:
- when are parents going to stop buying sweat pants with the words, JUICY, SEXY or PINK or such plastered across the bottom for their children???
- not to be paranoid, but there truly are pedophiles out there who scope out very young children. Why, in essence, paint a target on your little girl's backside???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 05:09 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Yeah, I guess the forbidden fruit syndrome is a possibility. But the way I see it, I am the parent, I purchase clothing, and I decide what is appropriate. She has choices within the range that I decide is reasonable. I wouldn't get TOO carried away with it for fear of that rebellion, but yet and still, she's 5. There are some things that a 5 yr old shouldn't wear, and some kinds of attention that a 5 yr old can't handle or understand...or 6, 7, 8, or 12 yr old for that matter. Until a girl is old enough to know how to responsibly handle male comments and/or attention that may come her way when she is wearing certain things, then she shouldn't be wearing them. Just my opinion though, and personally, I see nothing wrong with 2 piece swimsuits and think they're rather adorable, I just worry about the wrong kind of creep seeing it differently.
Ok maybe I am happy that ignorance is bliss. My ignorance. 5yos get male attention?

Old 07-17-2012, 06:02 PM

484 posts, read 854,746 times
Not only American girls. Many latin countries have many little girls dressing sexy and way to mature for their age. I feel this attracts bad company from sick men and also the child should be a child and love and enjoy the early years.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:18 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times
they already know how important it is to look good as a woman b/c their whole worth is going to be decided on this, whether they like it or not. and as long as men are primarily calling the shots in this world that's how it's going to remain.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:19 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Ok maybe I am happy that ignorance is bliss. My ignorance. 5yos get male attention?
Yes, it happens. Older boys, dirty old men, whomever...I sure don't want them leering at my 5yo.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Yes, it happens. Older boys, dirty old men, whomever...I sure don't want them leering at my 5yo.

when the middle school and high school let out in the spring you can see the men in the cars with their necks craning to look at those pre teens in their short shirts and tops. i see it all the time.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:35 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
they already know how important it is to look good as a woman b/c their whole worth is going to be decided on this, whether they like it or not. and as long as men are primarily calling the shots in this world that's how it's going to remain.
Dont you ever get tired of singing that same old tune? Yeah, women are unfairly judged by their looks, but it's not as if unattractive women are banished from society, left to fend for themselves in the woods. Looking good will help you through life, just like charisma, intelligence, talent, and artistic and athletic ability will help you. But not a single one of those is necessary to be successful and happy in life.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Dont you ever get tired of singing that same old tune? Yeah, women are unfairly judged by their looks, but it's not as if unattractive women are banished from society, left to fend for themselves in the woods. Looking good will help you through life, just like charisma, intelligence, talent, and artistic and athletic ability will help you. But not a single one of those is necessary to be successful and happy in life.

Don't you ever get tired of telling me how I should think? I didn't say it was necessary anyways. I said your life will be hell if you don't have anything to offer men in the attractiveness department. you may as well be a coat rack, that's equivalent to being banished.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:33 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
girls have been made to feel that for a long time. Personally I never had time for fairytales as from a young age I detected a pathetic trend. I never bought into it.

The sexualisation of children of such a young age is a relatively new thing. As someone else mentioned that toddler & tiara show is disturbing. Some parents should have grown up before the decided to breed.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:11 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Don't you ever get tired of telling me how I should think, UE? I didn't say it was necessary anyways. I said your life will be hell if you don't have anything to offer men in the attractiveness department. you may as well be a coat rack, that's equivalent to being banished. they're certainly not going to treat you any better then that.
There's a difference between telling someone how to think and telling someone they're wrong. Your assessment of how women are treated in our society is wrong, or at best exaggerated to the point of being the meaningless dribble of a woman stuck in the mindset of an overly dramatic teenager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting