U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:46 PM

36,503 posts, read 47,618,330 times

Advertisements

Interesting study about self sexualization in young girls.

Girls as young as 6 want to be 'sexy,' study says - TODAYMoms
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 08:42 PM

970 posts, read 1,981,914 times
It seems like the adult researchers defined one doll as "sexy" and one as normal, but the article doesn't indicate that the young girls themselves identified the doll as sexy. I don't think young girls should wear tight-fitting, revealing outfits but I think it is influenced by media saying it is cool, not because the girls see themselves as sexy.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:04 PM

7,300 posts, read 5,988,764 times
Default American girls of only 6 years old want to be "sexy."

American girls of only 6 years old want to be "sexy."

I find it incredibly sad, how females are being affected by the pressure to look beautiful and sexy at younger and younger ages.

Here's an excerpt of the article citing the study:

The authors suggest that the media or moms who sexualize women may predispose girls toward objectifying themselves; then, the other factor (mom or media) reinforces the messages, amplifying the effect. On the other hand, mothers who reported often using TV and movies as teaching moments about bad behaviors and unrealistic scenarios were much less likely to have daughters who said they looked like the sexy doll. Moderator cut: Do not quote more than two sentences of a published work in a post on City-Data

Why 6-Year-Old Girls Want to Be Sexy | Self-Sexualization | LiveScience

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 07-17-2012 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: Copyright violation

Old 07-16-2012, 10:05 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,781,088 times
Not my little girl.......

Old 07-16-2012, 10:06 PM

7,300 posts, read 5,988,764 times
Good for you. The article says that mothers who view media with their daughters are less likely to become obsessed with wanting to be sexy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOne View Post
Not my little girl.......

Old 07-16-2012, 10:39 PM

14,790 posts, read 15,025,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
American girls of only 6 years old want to be "sexy."

I find it incredibly sad, how females are being affected by the pressure to look beautiful and sexy at younger and younger ages.

Here's an excerpt of the article citing the study:

The authors suggest that the media or moms who sexualize women may predispose girls toward objectifying themselves; then, the other factor (mom or media) reinforces the messages, amplifying the effect. On the other hand, mothers who reported often using TV and movies as teaching moments about bad behaviors and unrealistic scenarios were much less likely to have daughters who said they looked like the sexy doll. The power of maternal instruction during media viewing may explain why every additional hour of TV- or movie-watching actually decreased the odds by 7 percent that a girl would choose the sexy doll as popular, Starr said. "As maternal TV instruction served as a protective factor for sexualization, it’s possible that higher media usage simply allowed for more instruction."

The APA report, which inspired the new study, cited widespread sexualization of women in popular culture. "In study after study, findings have indicated that women more often than men are portrayed in a sexual manner … and are objectified," the APA authors wrote. "These are the models of femininity presented for young girls to study and emulate."
The authors cited examples like "advertisements (e.g. the Sketchers naughty and nice ad that featured Christina Aguilera dressed as a schoolgirl in pigtails, with her shirt unbuttoned, licking a lollipop), dolls (e.g. Bratz dolls dressed in sexualized clothing such as miniskirts, fishnet stockings and feather boas), clothing (e.g. thong underwear sized for 7- to 10-year-olds, some printed with slogans such as 'wink wink'), and television programs (e.g. a televised fashion show in which adult models in lingerie were presented as young girls)." Parents, teachers and peers were also cited as influencing girls' sexualized identities. [ The 10 Most Destructive Human Behaviors ]

Why 6-Year-Old Girls Want to Be Sexy | Self-Sexualization | LiveScience
Odd. My tv viewing as a 6 year old consisted of Sesame Street, Playschool (Aus) and saturday morning cartoons. I wouldn't have even known the word 'sexy' as a child. I didn't view media with my mum either. I just didn't watch crap as a kid.

and such "toys" would never find its way into my home.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:06 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,513,932 times
Just the thought of it makes me want to simultaneously barf and punch the media in the mouth, not to mention those people who allow young children watch age inappropriate shows. I cannot tell you the number of children that have tvs in their rooms without parental locks on them.... Or the number of children in the theatre watching the new Twilight movies.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:12 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,781,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Good for you. The article says that mothers who view media with their daughters are less likely to become obsessed with wanting to be sexy.
Mommy can be sexy all she wants with me. That's not our little girl.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:28 PM

730 posts, read 879,407 times
Truly disturbing and disgusting imo.

I really have to blame the parents (or maybe mainly the mothers in this scenario). How sick does one have to be to allow one's six year old little girl to be "sexy". First of all, they're six. They don't even know what "sexy" is yet. They're getting those ideas from someone somewhere. If six year olds are running around talking about how they want to be "sexy" then there's something wrong with the mother's example and how/what she is teaching her daughter. There are things that parents do in private and then there are things that they do in front of their children. Period. That hideous show "Toddlers and Tiaras" comes to mind when thinking about this. Those people are sick imo. Parents who try to live through their children like that get absolutely zero respect from me. I just fail to see why anyone would force their kids to do stuff like that at such a young age mind you. Like I said, I just find the whole thing really disturbing and just gag when I see commercials for it on the TV.

I really don't buy into the media excuse either. First off, again, the child is six. What the heck are they watching at age six?!? I'm twenty, but when I was six (not TOO long ago) we watched the Tellytubbies, Blue's Clues, Out of the Box, etc. etc. Imo, if six year olds are watching enough "sexy" programming in order for them to understand and try to want to be "sexy" then the parent needs to monitor what their kid is actually watching to a much larger extent. My parents would never let us watch what could be considered to be "sexy" TV when we were six. To be honest with you, I for one didn't even know what it meant to be or feel sexy at that age.

Good grief. And people wonder why society goes down the tubes.....

Okay, rant over. LOL!

Old 07-16-2012, 11:39 PM

3,517 posts, read 6,070,417 times
Sigh. What a tough subject. On the one hand, that's so terribly young. On the other, it's normal for even young children to take notice of sexuality. Not sex or any of the dirty details that go along, but just the fact that boys and girls are different and that their are traits associated with being a woman and others associated with being a man. To a certain extent, it's normal to try and emulate these traits, the way a little boy will go on about being big and strong and a little girl will smear on her mother's makeup.

It's not that kids are growing up faster, it's just that they have more extreme means by which to express themselves.

I don't think I'm doing a good job of saying what I mean. I just don't think parents should panic if their child expresses some desire to be sexy. I remember wanting to be sexy like Jasmine from Aladdin at that age, but as long as parents keep a handle on things, it doesn't have to be anything but innocent fun and exploration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting