Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 09:11 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times

Advertisements

would you rather a woman have an abortion instead? or perhaps should adult women just not have sex? should a woman never have children even if she wants one because the "right" man hasn't come along? are women so feeble and weak they can't raise a child on their own? FYI women have been raising kids alone for centuries (even the ones with a man)

Old 07-22-2012, 09:17 AM

160 posts, read 264,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
A lot of Black women don't want the Daddy. They just want the Baby.

These women are married to Uncle Sam's handouts.

They simply don't see it as immoral or damaging to the child to not have a Father in the home.

That's just the way they think. It is part of their culture now.
Clearly the actress Nia Long is not on welfare. I'm specifically referring to the pervasive mindset that it's cool to be an 'independent' single mom.

I am upset that Essence, (a well regarded black women's magazine) is pushing this agenda forward to young black girls.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
My mother was a single mother. My dad wasn't a deadbeat, just dead.

My mother should be lauded. She did an outstanding job in a very difficult situation which was nobody's fault.

Shame on you for your unthinking generalization and shame on you for trying to make it about race.
I am not referring to women who are widowed. I am referring to women who have no problem having children, without a wedding ring.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Why shouldn't a single mother be celebrated? Would a married mother in a terrible relationship be better? Who cares what the "structure" is. It's about how well the kids are being cared for.
The reality is, the majority of single moms are struggling due to economic and emotional constraints. One can look at the urban communities throughout America to understand why it's important not to become a single mom.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
would you rather a woman have an abortion instead? or perhaps should adult women just not have sex? should a woman never have children even if she wants one because the "right" man hasn't come along? are women so feeble and weak they can't raise a child on their own? FYI women have been raising kids alone for centuries (even the ones with a man)
Why can't they simply abstain from sex or use a diaphragm/sponge and require the guy to use a condom? Is that really too much to ask?

I don't believe that it's a wise choice for women to raise children independently, without any emotional or financial support from the father of the child. For this reason, it's best that more women (especially black women) learn how to vet men properly before having children.

Last edited by MaryMary2012; 07-22-2012 at 10:09 AM..

Old 07-22-2012, 09:33 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
MaryMary, what young girls are reading Essence? Trust me, most teen girls aren't reading it, let alone gaining any inspiration from it.

Second, according to Wikipedia, Nia long was engaged to the father of her oldest, but it broke off. Even if they had gotten married then had their child, they may have still gotten a divorce and the end result would be the exact same: a single mom raising a child.

I know someone who is currently raising her 4 month old solo. The baby's father made countless promises to be there, to support them both. She had little reason to doubt him since he was a divorced dad and supporting his son. But by the time month 6 of the pregnancy rolled around, he became scarce and he was completely AWOL by the time she had the baby. Apparently since the divorce he had gotten used to the single life and was simply too immature to give it up to raise a child. What's worse, he stopped supporting his first child as well.

Single mothers rarely go into parenthood proud of the fact that they are raising children solo. The ones I know are terrified, heartbroken, tired, distressed, anxious, and angry at their situation. But unlike the father of their children (exception being two cases where the fathers died), they didn't bail out, they made the hard choices and sacrifices and stuck by their children. For that reason alone, they should be commended be/c the easier road would have been giving them up and our foster care system is already a mess.

I think you'd be wasting your time demanding a refund from Essence. Most magazines strive to represent as many segments of their audience as possible and yes, there are more people out there reading Essence who can relate to Nia Long's life. Of course you can unsubscribe and stop reading (I personally stopped reading Essence years ago after one of their "Natural and Proud" articles featured women who mostly wore extensions and wigs), but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a refund and would just move on.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:34 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary2012 View Post
Clearly the actress Nia Long is not on welfare. I'm specifically referring to the pervasive mindset that it's cool to be an 'independent' single mom.

I am upset that Essence, (a well regarded black women's magazine) is pushing this agenda forward to young black girls.
The essence demographic isn't even directed towards YOUNG black girls, its from 18-49, and my guess is the younger end of that spectrum doesn't care to read a magazine geared to older womens issues like being single mothers.
Looking at wikipedia, it looks like the one magazine cover they put up talks about starting a business at home and a few other things that don't sound like they would interest an 18 year old much less someone younger than that.

So I am going to have to declare your point MOOT.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:35 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
I am not referring to women who are widowed. I am referring to women who have no problem having children, without a wedding ring.
You didn't say that.

You made an uninformed generalization based on prejudice. I think you owe the board an apology.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I'm an idiot for espousing morality? lol Yet these women who didn't have the ability to vet a man properly and require a wedding ring before popping out children are smart.
That's YOUR morals.
Other people have other morals, just because they aren't the same as yours doesn't make them wrong.

Last edited by JustJulia; 07-24-2012 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 07-22-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Why can't they simply use a diaphragm or sponge and require the guy to use a condom. Is that really too much to ask?

I don't believe that it's a wise choice for women to raise children independently, without any emotional or financial support from the father of the child. For this reason, it's best that more women (especially black women) learn how to vet men properly before having children.
It's called birth control. No one uses sponges these days....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting