Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 12:55 PM

156 posts, read 792,307 times

Advertisements

We have three kids (13, 11, & 8) and have moved them from GA to MN to AL and we are planning one final move back to MN. They seem to have adjusted fairly well with each move. As a mom, however, I'm always wondering if we're cheating them out of a stable childhood. I'd love to hear how those who moved around as children feel about it now. What were the advantages/disadvantages? Also, if you still have children at home and have recently moved or are comtemplating a move what things you do to make the transition easier for your kids. I guess moms always find something to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 01:04 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastMove View Post
We have three kids (13, 11, & 8) and have moved them from GA to MN to AL and we are planning one final move back to MN. They seem to have adjusted fairly well with each move. As a mom, however, I'm always wondering if we're cheating them out of a stable childhood. I'd love to hear how those who moved around as children feel about it now. What were the advantages/disadvantages? Also, if you still have children at home and have recently moved or are comtemplating a move what things you do to make the transition easier for your kids. I guess moms always find something to worry about.
wow I have four kids, 18,13,11 and 8
we moved them from Oregon to Maryland to NC and then finally to AZ, I know what you are talking about, I worriedto now they look at it like an adventure, I dont think i am robbing them, they are getting to see alot that I didnt, I had a stable childhood, we didnt move in 18 years, I only see and speak to one person from my childhhood, my kids are very well adjusted, and actually think it is fun, butI am done moving!!1 Home is where you are, not where your house is, as long as you are with them they will be just fine!!! You have to do whats best for your family and that will in the end be best for them.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:11 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,169 times
We always seemed to adjust, though I can't say I didn't envy the kids that grew up together. We never had problems making friends, but I always felt a little different. I think it did make our family closer though. Just give your kids lots of support and they'll be fine.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:27 PM

I didn't move growing up at all (in fact, my parents still live in the same house my dad was born in) and I think I just wanted the ease for my kids that goes along with that. However, as gregsbabe1 mentioned, I don't keep in touch with childhood friends - the last time I saw any of them was at my 20th reunion. I hadn't really thought about that as it pertains to our situation but it's a good point. Our middle daughter views moving as an adventure. In fact, she asked when we were moving again because she was getting a little bored here. I know the support we give them will make all the difference as grammy164 mentioned. Moving in the past has not been as difficult as this move as been. Maybe because I'm getting older or maybe its the location...I don't know but either way I appreciate the encouragement!!! Thanks.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:46 PM

338 posts, read 1,445,570 times
Question May I ask why??

That seems like alot of moving- do you care to share why you moved so many times? I'm just curious...I have 3 kids and have to wonder what your motive was/is...Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:49 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom View Post
That seems like alot of moving- do you care to share why you moved so many times? I'm just curious...I have 3 kids and have to wonder what your motive was/is...Thanks for sharing.
Well we moved until we found a place we felt like was home, we would listen to the masses and go somewhere we were told was the place to be and find out other wise. Now we think we have found it.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:43 PM

heathersmom- We moved due to my husband's job. We were transferred to GA (originally from MN before kids were born). Then we had an opportunity to go back "home" to MN (our oldest was 7 when we moved back) but the company my husband was working for was very unstable financially (they cut everyone's pay by 10%, raised health insurance costs, took away all company vehicles, stopped 401K contributions as well as bonuses). He got a great opportunity (promotion, raise, and a chance to learn a new industry and still use his same skills) 2 years ago that required us to move to AL. This move was a very difficult transition for all of us at first but the kids are finally adjusting. The kids still call MN home and miss the 4 seasons, frequent visits with family, etc., etc. My husband travels frequently so we presented them with the idea of moving back to MN and having him travel 3 days a week and work from home the other 2. He already travels 3 days a week so he won't be gone any more than he already is. The company he is with now is very stable and he has a good contract so we're hoping that this move back to MN will be our last. My family is in SD and my husband's is in MN.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:50 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,169 times
That's why we moved a lot too. My Dad was transferred often. If MN is home though, and you have a chance to go back,I say take the chance! Living near family can only be good for your kids!

Old 09-24-2006, 04:56 PM

Thanks grammy164! The kids love hanging out with their cousins and grandparents. My in-law's are not in good health either and we'd like to be able to help out if needed.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:23 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
The older the child, the harder it is to move I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting