Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:33 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,178,892 times

Advertisements

I switched daycares because I need my husband to drop off our daughter (3 years) in the morning. She was attending a daycare close to my work but it was out of the way for my husband. Another deciding factor was the number of days the school was closed for religious holidays. Other than that, I loved this school and the people who make it what it is.

Now, this new daycare is okay, but my daughter really likes her teacher. I do admit so do I. When I picked her up at 2 today, the children were still napping but mine ran out the classroom to greet me. There was nobody in the classroom. The woman who let me in the daycare came from her office, not the classroom as, I explain later, the teachers assumed.

The teachers came back from lunch shortly after and I overheard them asking each other who was in the classroom. That so-and-so was supposed to be there. I told them that nobody was in here. They said it was not possible that perhaps the lady who let me in was there. I explained to them that, no, she came out of her office.

So...now I am thinking this is not responsible. I talked to some people and they said "things" happen.

I want to go with my feelings but does it sound like I am overreacting?

BTW - never had an issue with the other school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 02:42 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,026,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
I switched daycares because I need my husband to drop off our daughter (3 years) in the morning. She was attending a daycare close to my work but it was out of the way for my husband. Another deciding factor was the number of days the school was closed for religious holidays. Other than that, I loved this school and the people who make it what it is.

Now, this new daycare is okay, but my daughter really likes her teacher. I do admit so do I. When I picked her up at 2 today, the children were still napping but mine ran out the classroom to greet me. There was nobody in the classroom. The woman who let me in the daycare came from her office, not the classroom as, I explain later, the teachers assumed.

The teachers came back from lunch shortly after and I overheard them asking each other who was in the classroom. That so-and-so was supposed to be there. I told them that nobody was in here. They said it was not possible that perhaps the lady who let me in was there. I explained to them that, no, she came out of her office.

So...now I am thinking this is not responsible. I talked to some people and they said "things" happen.

I want to go with my feelings but does it sound like I am overreacting?

BTW - never had an issue with the other school.
Yes, this is not responsible but yes, "things" happen.

But, the question is do "things" (like miscommunications or mixed up scheduling) happen every day or every week or every couple of years. And, did it happen for two minutes or a half hour.

If the teachers appeared genuinely shocked, surprised and confused then probably it was a fluke. If they appeared to be trying to cover it up then maybe it was something that has happened before.

I personally know that "things" happen. I'm a teacher and once I had a very sudden bathroom emergency and called to another teacher, who was walking in the hallway, to watch the student in my room while I dashed to the bathroom. When I returned to the room a minute or two later the student was fine, but the other teacher wasn't there. After school, I asked the other teacher what happened. Apparently she was deep in thought and never heard me calling to her.

Was this wrong, yes. But, was this typical, no. It was the only time that something like that had happened to me in the over thirty years of my teaching career.

You have to decide if this seemed like something typical or just an odd fluke.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:58 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,918,911 times
It sounds like there was only one adult in the building at the time... is this true? If so, I'd pull her from there so fast, her head would spin.

If that's not the case, I'd still want an answer as to why the children weren't being supervised, nap or not.

I also just caught that you said "school"... is this a school, or a daycare that provides a few hours of preschool? It would seem that a school of instructors would have different priorities than a daycare with care providers.

...and always remember that this is your CHILD you're talking about... don't let someone bully or intimidate you because you're asking questions regarding her care. If they're short staffed, it's your responsibility to move her to somewhere better, even if it's more expensive or less convenient.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:06 PM

13,498 posts, read 18,123,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
....I talked to some people and they said "things" happen....
Mmmmmmmmmmm, and "things go bump in the night" too.

Find out what these "things" are before being influenced by such vague remarks.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:24 PM

Thank you for the responses.

It is a daycare and preschool. There are many caretakers and teachers in the school so, no, they were not understaffed. It is correct that the teachers did seem surprised. My daughter wet her shorts but she did not do it on her sleeping mat. She did it right outside the restroom. My guess is that she was waiting for someone else or the restroom was dark and nobody was their to turn on the lights.

Anyway, I am going to ask tomorrow and I am going to check to see if the restroom lights are usually off during nap time. If the lights are off, I will make a point that she was waiting for an adult to turn them on. I *hope* they talk about it before I ask.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:18 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,480,947 times
It could have been just an honest mix up, and it could have been a rare one. But definitely ask questions, demand an explanation, and watch the responses. If indeed it was an unusual blunder, they should be falling over themselves to apologize and to assure you, and take proper steps, to make sure it never happens again. But if they seem defensive or start making excuses, find another daycare.

Once at my dd's daycare, she was prescribed amoxicillan and was supposed to be given her dose at a certain time. Due to a mix up, one teacher gave it to her, and didn't document it, so a second teacher gave her a second dose. When they realized what they had done, they immediately called me and explained to me what they'd done, they called the pediatrician to see what they needed to do, they wrote a letter of apology, and the teacher involved received disciplinary action. It should not have happened, but since my dd was okay, and they didn't cover up and took responsibility for the mistake, I felt comfortable that it would never happen again. Mistakes do happen, but that's the kind of response I look for when they do.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
It could have been just an honest mix up, and it could have been a rare one. But definitely ask questions, demand an explanation, and watch the responses. If indeed it was an unusual blunder, they should be falling over themselves to apologize and to assure you, and take proper steps, to make sure it never happens again. But if they seem defensive or start making excuses, find another daycare.

Once at my dd's daycare, she was prescribed amoxicillan and was supposed to be given her dose at a certain time. Due to a mix up, one teacher gave it to her, and didn't document it, so a second teacher gave her a second dose. When they realized what they had done, they immediately called me and explained to me what they'd done, they called the pediatrician to see what they needed to do, they wrote a letter of apology, and the teacher involved received disciplinary action. It should not have happened, but since my dd was okay, and they didn't cover up and took responsibility for the mistake, I felt comfortable that it would never happen again. Mistakes do happen, but that's the kind of response I look for when they do.
That is exactly what I am going to be looking for.

If I hear, "you were mistaken, the woman did not come out of her office but from your daughter's class"...the end.

My husband has already agreed to going back to her first daycare which is a big deal because it is a faith we don't practice.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:35 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,911,973 times
A few weeks ago when I was dropping off my daughter (3yo), there were 2 teachers in the room when I got there. As I was washing my daughter's hands (required when we come into the room), both teachers ended up leaving through separate exits, unknown to each other, leaving me as the only adult in the room. The first teacher was about to take a child to the bathroom (not connected to the classroom) and the other teacher wanted to get something from the supply room. The first teacher said go ahead to the second teacher, so she started to leave. But then the child said he really had to use the bathroom NOW, so she called out and said wait a minute I have to take the child to the bathroom first. The second teacher didn't hear her though, and so they both left the room through opposite doors. I hung around in the classroom and watched the kids until a third teacher happened to walk in looking for something and I told her that there wasn't a teacher in the room so she stayed so I could go to work. I explained the mixup to her as well so she would know what happened. Anyway, mistakes happen. I don't hold it against them. As long as it doesn't happen too often!

Old 07-25-2012, 06:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,081,367 times
Ya, things happen, but how does the last teacher in the room not realize no one else is in there?? I might give them a second chance but only after having a serious talk with the director and finding out what happened, how, why, and what is going to be done to prevent it from happening again.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Your best bet is probably the Pennsylvania forums since you really need help from local people. There are several PA forums, so choose the one that's closest to where you'll be living. Once you're there, just click on "new thread" (look for it on the left).

And to the OP: please let us know what happened! I hope the school took responsibility.
They said that the woman who watches the children during naptime had to run to the restroom. She asked the lady at the front desk to watch them but she couldn't leave the desk because some parents, like myself, need to be let in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting