U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 08:39 AM

14,584 posts, read 20,405,054 times

Advertisements

Hi all ,our grand daughter just came back to live with me and my husband . Her dad cant take care of her properly and we would not and could not let her go into foster care . However she is 13 and she has to take a music class and has to have a violin to take the class . We cannot afford to buy her one or rent her one and she has to have one . I spoke to her guidance counselor at school and asked what would happen if she cant get the violin , the gc told me she would take an f for the class . I dont want her being made fun of because we cant afford something for her , she has been through so much with her dad (mom passed away a while ago ) . It just seems like this kid cant get a break .I dont want her failing the class either , Im at a loss as to what to do here . I have looked at used ones in the newspaper but folks are ridiculous with their prices and wont deal either so im at a loss here . dont know what to do here ? any suggestions ? My husband works his butt off and im waiting for my disability to come through which could take eons .I dont know what to do , thanks for any clues as to what to do .
Rate this post positively

Old 07-27-2012, 08:47 AM

12,977 posts, read 12,875,534 times
I would suggest you contact the music teacher directly, they usually have instruments for those in dire need. Other than that, place a wanted free ad on Craigslist, we got a great piano that way.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:57 AM

7,288 posts, read 11,484,951 times
I really feel for you. The idea to ask the music teacher, directly is a good one. Don't give up!

Old 07-27-2012, 09:14 AM

@ I have contacted the music teacher our town is so small and no they dont have any to spare thanks . Im trying everything i can . Iplaced ads on craigslist too . I m hoping something will come through . My husband says to give up and just let her take the f . His mom and dad were never too keen on school or education . His dad had an 8th grade education and his mom quit school cause her mom got sick and she had to stay home and take care of her while her dad
went to work on the farm ...really sad that some ppl think it is okay to sacifice their kids for the sake of the family .

Old 07-27-2012, 09:20 AM

we found one on amazon for 40.00 but to us that is a water bill that wont get paid if we buy a violin you know but that is the cheapest I found . I would give my right eye teeth right now to have forty dollars LOL !!!because that would def be a blessing from God can I wish for it to fall from the sky ? , just kidding im trying to keep my spirits up . thanks all for the suggestions .

Old 07-27-2012, 09:25 AM

7,288 posts, read 11,484,951 times
Start calling churches? Someone should want to help you.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:28 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,650,974 times
If you are completely unable to buy the instrument, can you meet with the principal and ask if she can drop the class due too family hardship? It just doesn't sit right that a child should fail a class because her family can't buy supplies. I'd even consider writing a letter to the school board, if you don't get anywhere with the Administration.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:33 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,650,974 times
Also, Google charity instruments for children. There seem to be some organizations that may help. You'd have to see whether they serve your community and whether their services match your granddaughter's needs.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:36 AM

20,419 posts, read 40,128,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
If you are completely unable to buy the instrument, can you meet with the principal and ask if she can drop the class due too family hardship? It just doesn't sit right that a child should fail a class because her family can't buy supplies. I'd even consider writing a letter to the school board, if you don't get anywhere with the Administration.

I agree!

NO school district around here makes playing an instrument mandatory... for that reason. It IS a luxury!

OP, are you SURE she HAS to take this particular class, or does she WANT to?

Old 07-27-2012, 09:48 AM

3,646 posts, read 10,025,607 times
If you attend a church, this is the type of thing they will help out with. Frankly, even if you don't attend a church, but have a close friend or family member that does, you could ask them if they could go to the church on your behalf.

That said, does your granddaughter attend a year round school? If the class/school year hasn't begun yet, they cannot give her an "F" for a class she has not registered for. As to "she has to take a music class"... generally, there are no and low cost options given - for instance, choir, that will fill that requirement.

I sincerely doubt the school requires her to learn how to play the violin, even if they offer it as an 'option'. If you cannot make it happen financially, she'll either have to learn to live with her disappointment or find another way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or