Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 08:15 PM

1,789 posts, read 2,909,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
or where he learned how to touch someone like that...
don't let your kids out of the closet much??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 10:58 PM

17 posts, read 124,397 times
I will definetely keep everyone posted on developments as they come. I am awaiting to hear what the deal is with the kids going to a counselor. To be quite honest, for me, this is the scariest part... I am afraid of the facts that I will learn after the therapist has had a chance to work with the kids...

Who did this? How long has all this REALLY been going on for? Where did my nephew learn this and who, if anyone, violated him?

Old 07-28-2012, 11:07 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,436,533 times
I agree, get a good lawyer. Kids in the system for this behavior do not get a very good shake. See Ethical Treatment for All Youth for some illustrative cases.

In an ideal world this would be handled at home, not through the court system. It's insulting to common sense to label a child a sexual perpetrator before they are even old enough to consent to being a sexual partner.

Here is another resource: http://ipt-forensics.com/

Old 07-29-2012, 01:29 AM

17 posts, read 124,397 times
@ djacques - Thanks for pointing out these resources. I've been reading the Ethical Treatment for All Youth website and it appears to have a lot of useful information. I'll forward this to my mother and sister.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:59 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,223,854 times
*hugs*

Old 07-29-2012, 10:03 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,223,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needhelp321 View Post
Hello all and thank you for your help and advice in this matter,

Well, what can I say? Life has changed since earlier today when I found out from my sister that my 12 year old nephew was arrested for molesting my 6 year old niece. So far, what I know is that he has exposed himself in front of her and had her remove her clothing and was rubbing up against her. I have one other niece that is 8-9 yrs, and a nephew that is 5yrs. As far as we know, the 6 year old girl is the only one to have been victimized. Both girls were taken to a doctor today to determine if they had been penetrated (results indicated they were not). As of now, the 12yr old is in a juvenile detention facility until his court appearance in a few days.

I'll try to provide some background on the children and familiy...

As you may have guessed, my sister and her four children came from an abusive home. My sisters ex husband was a big time loser who was verbally and physically abusive to my sister. Finally, she had enough and left him and has had full custody of the children since (he has since fled the state to avoid paying child support). The divorce happened roughly 4 years ago.

Since about 6 or 7 years of age, the eldest (the perpetrator of the incident) has displayed negative behavior toward his siblings. Not in a physical manner although on occassion he would push or shove as kids do, but more verbally. He was always a real smart-aleck with them and enjoyed annoying them. Most of the time we would tell him to knock it off and that was that.

When this incident happened, my mother sat down with him and asked him why he did what he did to his sister and his answer was that she "made him do it". In recent times he has become increasingly hostile toward his siblings and his answer to his actions is always that they "made me do it" because of something actual or percieved.

As for the other children, they are completely and totally fine. Happy, playful and social with eachother, doing great in school, etc, while the 12 year old is the complete opposite. As of now, we don't yet know if he (the perpetrator) was molested himself, however, looking back on it I do have my suspicions as my sisters former husband hung around with some very questionable individuals and was himself, a questionable individual.

We are at a loss as to what to do right now. My sister (said childs mother) works at a crisis center for battered and abused women and children so she is seeking help there. She is a single mother of 4 and recieves aid from the state to help out so she does not have endless amounts of money to spend on a decent therapist and I am very skeptical of what the county can offer in terms of a decent therapist.

What will happen? Will my nephew ever be allowed to come home again? Should he ever come home again or will he have to live his life until adulthood in an institution? Can he be rehabilitated or is he now doomed to fail at life? If he does come home after therapy/rehab, will he re-offend? Is he a lost cause?

If anyone can help with advice or personal experiences and/or point me in the direction of resources I would be greatly appreciated.
That's pretty tough to know and will depend on the judge and the situation.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:31 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,478,218 times
Quote:
Sorry if I sound harsh, but all this is a lot to take in right now. It's been a crappy month for me. Actually, it's been a crappy 2.5 weeks for me... First my car gets broken into then my house gets broken into, I bruise a rib in a sparring class, and now I hear of all this. Yay me.

I don't know how this will affect our family going forward. Will things ever be the same? What issues are the victims going to have in their lives now? Will they perpetrate the same offenses?

All this just seems like it's too much to handle right now.
Well someone needs to explain to the victims and watch over the victims and make sure they understand what happened but most victims actually don't become child predators themselves, but some do.

As far as the 12 year old, I think age 12 is too early to write off most kids. It's fine that he will be seeing a therapist but I think someone who loves and cares about him needs to get involved and make him understand what he did and why it was so wrong. Very likely this kid was molested himself, and he's also lacked guidance, has not had a proper male role model. He may be hitting puberty and because of no proper male role model does not know how to behave appropriately, he may be very confused.

If there is someone who can be a good male role model for him, it would be important for that individual to step in quickly and help guide him. He cannot be alone with the victims ever again or with any potential victims.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:51 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,375,235 times
Quote:
Hello all and thank you for your help and advice in this matter,

Well, what can I say? Life has changed since earlier today when I found out from my sister that my 12 year old nephew was arrested for molesting my 6 year old niece. So far, what I know is that he has exposed himself in front of her and had her remove her clothing and was rubbing up against her. I have one other niece that is 8-9 yrs, and a nephew that is 5yrs. As far as we know, the 6 year old girl is the only one to have been victimized. Both girls were taken to a doctor today to determine if they had been penetrated (results indicated they were not). As of now, the 12yr old is in a juvenile detention facility until his court appearance in a few days.

I'll try to provide some background on the children and familiy...

As you may have guessed, my sister and her four children came from an abusive home. My sisters ex husband was a big time loser who was verbally and physically abusive to my sister. Finally, she had enough and left him and has had full custody of the children since (he has since fled the state to avoid paying child support). The divorce happened roughly 4 years ago.

Since about 6 or 7 years of age, the eldest (the perpetrator of the incident) has displayed negative behavior toward his siblings. Not in a physical manner although on occassion he would push or shove as kids do, but more verbally. He was always a real smart-aleck with them and enjoyed annoying them. Most of the time we would tell him to knock it off and that was that.

When this incident happened, my mother sat down with him and asked him why he did what he did to his sister and his answer was that she "made him do it". In recent times he has become increasingly hostile toward his siblings and his answer to his actions is always that they "made me do it" because of something actual or percieved.

As for the other children, they are completely and totally fine. Happy, playful and social with eachother, doing great in school, etc, while the 12 year old is the complete opposite. As of now, we don't yet know if he (the perpetrator) was molested himself, however, looking back on it I do have my suspicions as my sisters former husband hung around with some very questionable individuals and was himself, a questionable individual.

We are at a loss as to what to do right now. My sister (said childs mother) works at a crisis center for battered and abused women and children so she is seeking help there. She is a single mother of 4 and recieves aid from the state to help out so she does not have endless amounts of money to spend on a decent therapist and I am very skeptical of what the county can offer in terms of a decent therapist.

What will happen? Will my nephew ever be allowed to come home again? Should he ever come home again or will he have to live his life until adulthood in an institution? Can he be rehabilitated or is he now doomed to fail at life? If he does come home after therapy/rehab, will he re-offend? Is he a lost cause?

If anyone can help with advice or personal experiences and/or point me in the direction of resources I would be greatly appreciated.

Since your nephew is in custody and has a court date, it's likely the court is going to order very specific therapy and living arrangements.

But get a therapist trained in sexual abuse involved with the other kids ASAP. Since your sister already has a relationship with a crisis center, they should be able to help point her in the right direction.

So sorry for all involved, but do help your sister to understand she has to break this cycle immediately

Old 07-29-2012, 11:00 AM

14,333 posts, read 14,137,407 times
I have participated in a few cases like these over the years. My hunch is something like this will happen:

1. The child will remain out of the home for about six weeks to three months.
2. A comprehensive program for therapy and treatment will be ordered.
3. A "safety plan" will be put together to protect others in the home.
4. When it is judged that this safety program will be effective and is in place, the nephew will be sent home.
5. There hopefully will be a great deal of supervision and monitoring ordered by the court.

This is a tough situation. However, it is so much better to deal with it at age 12 than age 18. This kid could be looking at a prison sentence for 10 or more years if he was older. Now, the family has many resources that will hopefully stop the behavior once and for all.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:09 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,436,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
5. There hopefully will be a great deal of supervision and monitoring ordered by the court.
I don't think that is something to be hoped for. Family "plans" are often set up for parents to fail. It would've been far better for this to be handled at home without court involvement, but you can't put the genie back in the bottle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting