Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 05:06 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourageMom View Post
OOo thanks.. the recipe is really easy, and boy oh boy do they look good!

very nice of you.. BIG thanks (they almost look like french fries)
Oh, you could try sweet potato fries, also. Very similar recipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 05:08 PM

941 posts, read 1,803,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
If he will do the smoothies, put things like kale and spinach in it

Do you use a piece the size of the palm of your hand or one entire leaf? Does it taste cabbage-like?

Old 07-30-2012, 05:12 PM

941 posts, read 1,803,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Oh, you could try sweet potato fries, also. Very similar recipe.
Okay here's the great mystery.. he USED to eat sweet potato fries, and the baked as well.
Then one day about three months ago it was "talk to the hand". No doubt this phase will pass,
and this too is an item I will attempt to restore its place at the table thanks for the rally!

Old 07-30-2012, 05:22 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,877 times
Quote:
Okay here's the great mystery.. he USED to eat sweet potato fries, and the baked as well.
Then one day about three months ago it was "talk to the hand". No doubt this phase will pass,
and this too is an item I will attempt to restore its place at the table thanks for the rally!
Ha, I know, I think it comes with the age. My son is the same general age and attempting to assert his independence over dinner right now. I use the "you eat what I served or not, your choice, but there's nothing else" method. It seems to be working for the most part over here, although I can understand if that's not the road you want to travel. Good luck!

Old 07-30-2012, 07:25 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Kale chips are another good one. Toss with olive oil and sea salt, or roasted garlic, or parmesan cheese, or anything else you like. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes at 325 (some people flip them, but I don't). You can say they are green potato chips.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:34 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Roasted cauliflower is good - you could even tell him that they are tater tots. :P

Try watching a movie and having a bowl of roasted cauliflower and chickpeas. They are salty snacks with way more nutritional value. And if it's dark, he won't necessarily know the difference.

I also chop or grate up veggies in my mac and cheese. My ex boyfriend was never encouraged to eat much as a kid, so he was really veggie adverse. I made my famous baked mac and cheese, and half of the "cheese" was actually zucchini and onion put through the food processor.

This works well for my veggie adverse two year old. I add shredded veggies to everything from pasta to chili and I sneak them into sandwiches by mixes them with cream cheese. Plus, you can also use them to make zucchini or carrot bread, which is a fairly healthy treat.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:46 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Ha, I know, I think it comes with the age. My son is the same general age and attempting to assert his independence over dinner right now. I use the "you eat what I served or not, your choice, but there's nothing else" method. It seems to be working for the most part over here, although I can understand if that's not the road you want to travel. Good luck!
This is the route I had to take when my child was 4 and I was getting tired of cooking two meals: chicken and fries for her and another meal for us. All it took was two skipped dinners and just as our Pedi said, she came around. Now she enjoys all kinds of veggies but we make them in different ways like the ideas you have gotten: soups, grilled, sauteed, etc. Today she ate spinach for the first time with chicken florentine; she had 2 servings. She is 7 years old. You have to stand your ground. Good luck!

Old 07-30-2012, 08:48 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,832 times
Quote:
Do you use a piece the size of the palm of your hand or one entire leaf? Does it taste cabbage-like?
I just use entire leaves. It doesnt taste like anything covered up with fruit

Old 07-30-2012, 09:06 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
he LIKES brussel sprouts??? that's like being gifted & talented.. you must be doing something right for sure.

a little fancier.. yeah! I think I may try creating a burrito roll-up like the fast food type w/finely chopped veggies tucked in. I'll let you know how that works out. thank you
One of mine preferred vegetables and fresh fruit to doughnuts and sweets, he'd take peas over candy when he was little.

I remember battles over food as a child, my sister choking down peas she didn't want to eat, even gagging on them because she couldn't leave the table until we ate what we didn't want to eat, and we would cover the lima beans in mashed potatoes and swallow them whole, so I decided with my kids, I would not make food an issue, no forcing, no games. If they don't want to eat the peas then they can't put them on their plate and waste them and if they want to pretend they don't like something, fine with me -- and no special meals served if someone wants to be fussy, they have the option of getting up and making themselves a peanut butter sandwich. That almost never happens, I don't force foods and they don't have a game to play pretending they don't like something.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:19 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Veggie pancakes are what we use. My kids love pancakes, so I blender veggies and add them to the batter. Sometimes the pancakes come out colored differently, but the kids don't mind as long as they are pancakes and they can put syrup on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting