Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 06:28 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
At 15 months, she is working on her gross motor skills and needs to be in motion. Get lots of climbing toys and take her out to the park to let her run and climb too. She will probably slow down some when she is a bit older and starts working more on her verbal skills and fine motor skills.

I see you are looking for activities, so:

1. Is there a mom and tot gym class you can take her to?
Fun Activities and Kids Gym Classes for Toddlers, Kids and Children | The Little Gym

2. Is there a park close by?

3. Do you have a back yard?
If so you can get some back yard play equipment to keep her busy.

4. Can you get one of those little trampolines or small indoor slides for her to play on?
We had one like this except ours was wood: Step2 Up & Down Elephant Activity Slide - Step2 - Toys "R" Us
We still have this trampoline: Mini Children Kids Trampoline w/ Covered Handle: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

5. Put on a CD and dance music and dance around

6. Try some easy, but messy play like playdough (outside or in a high chair perhaps) or playing in whipping cream or chocolate pudding in the high chair (if she doesn't put stuff in her mouth you can use shaving cream). She might actually enjoy sitting for that.

7. Get a sensory water table or let her play in the bathtub in just a little bit of water. You can put lots of things in the sensory table if you don't mind a mess or can set it up outside - sand, rice, beans, uncooked pasta, etc. Just make sure it isn't something she will eat - you can use ribbons or balls or anything that is fun and hide toys to have her dig them up.
Waterwheel Play Table

8. If you want calm, try calming music or sensory bottles (wave bottles are fun).
Plain Vanilla Mom: Sensory Bottles for Little Ones
I like the idea of the sensory bottles, but I'm concerned that a baby/toddler could get the caps off. It seems like that would be a choking hazard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 06:33 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
We had to wait it out. It's still hard to photograph my son and he'll be two next week. As long as he gets his ya yas out he'll be fine but he did not sit reliably for any length of time at 15 months. Movement is still new them and you can't control it. The only thing you can "do" is adjust to her.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Ok, moms and dads on C-D. My youngest, Anji, 15 months, is a dear but she absolutely hates sitting still, or standing still for that matter. She has to always be on the go. Her dad took her to the doctor today and she refused to stand still on the scale, so the nursing staff had to lay her down in order to take her height. She squirmed nearly off the table. We, as a family, rode on one of the amusement park trains and she absolutely hated it because she was seated and we had to basically pass her back and forth so the ride was enjoyable for everyone. Forget about family pictures, she won't sit still for them. Haven't even attempted planes yet. She wants you to pick her up, but then when you do, she immediately slides downward.

What are your tips for the busy little bee? I ask because our oldest daughter is rather laid back and my husband and I tend to be somewhat sedate ourselves. Thanks in advance.
sounds like a 15 month old. If you're lucky, she might slow down when she gets to about 5 years.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:39 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I like the idea of the sensory bottles, but I'm concerned that a baby/toddler could get the caps off. It seems like that would be a choking hazard.
You glue them on with a glue gun.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Usually with a really busy toddler, you just have to adapt your lifestyle to things that don't require kids to sit still, until she's old enough to be rewarded for sitting still or participating in family photos or things like that. When my daughter absolutely had to sit still and behave, I usually would pack some small, hard to catch food for her in a plastic tub, so she kept busy chasing it down and eating it (for example, kix cereal because it rolls). By the time she was three, I could give her a notebook and a pencil and she'd spend hours copying down any words she saw around the house. We only tried going to the movies once when she was in her really busy stage, and she ran up and down the center aisle until I caught her and took her out of the theater. We couldn't do the lapsitters story time because she would go up to the librarian and start turning the pages of the book. We couldn't go to the duck pond because she would run away and get into the water. We didn't eat at restaurants because she would get squirmy in the high chair and start getting fussy. She learned to sit still for longer periods of time beause her little sister would, but that didn't happen until she was four.
That's what I would say -- just adapt to her -- they're only little for a very short time. You can go to restaurants but find ones like McDonalds where there's a play area and she can have fun.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:12 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
My niece was like this. OMG. I watched her for a week i think I aged 10 yrs. I was truly exhausted by the ned of the day. My son was very very laid back. So it was quite a shock for me when I had road runner for the week. My niece is now 4 and she has slowed down quite a bit. She seems to be more curious about things, basically stopping and absorbing things around her where before she was just all over the place, like she couldnt make up her mind what she wanted. Hang in there.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:55 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Had to laugh at this one. In my case I was ADD, so this problem persisted all through junior high. And in all honestly, I don't think my poor mother could have figured out any way to deal with it. Back then the disorder wasn't even recognized and so I was prescribed a foul-tasting tranquilizer of some kind to take (and I don't think the stuff even worked). Since I tended to act up in church ~ and everywhere else ~ Mom would reach a point where she'd take me outside and spank me. Which worked beautifully. . . until next time.

But in your case, being a toddler, this doesn't mean much, other than you may just have to wait a little longer for certain things. (My daughter was a toddler just like yours, and after one nightmarish incident in a restaurant I refused to take her into one for a couple of years. At least I was able to pin her down for a photo shoot ~ although the proofs showed her sticking her tongue out at the camera.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting