Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 12:02 PM

652 posts, read 1,052,386 times

Advertisements

So I have two kids in activities this fall. I've tried to do a lot of juggling to acommadate schedules. In the course of one day, the schedules for both of the activities has changed, and the amount of time for practice has increased.

One of the activities has had numerous changes, cancelling a practice, then adding it back. Before anyone asks it has nothing to do with weather. In this instance, the person is a school employee, and I find it a little bit baffling.

Now I'm scrambling to figure out how to get kids where they need to go. I'd just as soon they skip the unplanned practices, but they don't want to be in "trouble".

Do other parents experience this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 12:06 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
May not matter in your situation but when our kids were younger they could do only one activity. That was it, just one. It didn't matter what it was, they could choose, but we weren't going to haul them all over Hell's half acre every night of the week. They also could drop it if they chose after a year.

When they hit middle school they could do more.

Some of their friends were in a different activity every night of the week and the parents were in a perpetual state of frazzlement.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:07 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Carpooling helps a LOT.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:08 PM

897 posts, read 2,454,405 times
I think skipping a practice is fine if they are younger...

Old 08-09-2012, 01:51 PM

247 posts, read 688,366 times
I'm all for making kids stick to their commitments, but if a coach/instructor/whatever kept changing things around at the last minute, then my kid would drop the activity. I would be sure to tell the activity leader the reason, and hopefully he or she would get things straightened out.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:40 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supportyourschools View Post
I'm all for making kids stick to their commitments, but if a coach/instructor/whatever kept changing things around at the last minute, then my kid would drop the activity. I would be sure to tell the activity leader the reason, and hopefully he or she would get things straightened out.
I agree. It must be difficult with multiple children. When my brother and I were young we each played one sport per season. But we walked to practices and parents didn't have to attend. I think it was much easier on parents and taught us a lot more than if someone else was managing the schedule for us.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:11 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I agree. It must be difficult with multiple children. When my brother and I were young we each played one sport per season. But we walked to practices and parents didn't have to attend. I think it was much easier on parents and taught us a lot more than if someone else was managing the schedule for us.
This is a great post. Walking home was frowned upon, as we lived 9 miles from the school, but if we wanted to be in an after school activity, it was our responsibility to arrange a ride to and from the event. Both of my parents worked.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:31 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I haven't had last minute changes, but we don't typically find out when and where practice is until the week before, sometimes the week of. It is annoying, but I've come to expect it. This is the first year I will be dealing with all of this and working too. If it doesn't work for us, then my son(s) will be late to practice.

ETA - keep in mind the coach is a volunteer, and is also at the mercy of the organization for which they are volunteering. A lot of scheduling issues may be out of their control. What is in their control, they will schedule for their convenience. They can do that, since they volunteered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting