Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 04:15 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

Please, parents and grandparents, check your furniture to make sure your family members are not injured by unsecured furniture.

Child deaths from tipping furniture prompt warning - Health - Children's health - NBCNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 05:37 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
My brother was a cop and helped save the life of a toddler after a tv flipped over on her. When his children were small I would see him discreetly "test" furniture in other people's houses when they visited. Something like that definitely stays with you. We have everything strapped to the walls.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
My brother was a cop and helped save the life of a toddler after a tv flipped over on her. When his children were small I would see him discreetly "test" furniture in other people's houses when they visited. Something like that definitely stays with you. We have everything strapped to the walls.
And it's very easy to do. There are kits that have all the necessary parts and make it very easy. We secured everything in our house for earthquake and child safety. It was inexpensive and didn't take much time at all.

Just a side note: There's a product called earthquake/museum putty that can be used to secure small breakables to a shelf. Great stuff.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:29 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Just a side note: There's a product called earthquake/museum putty that can be used to secure small breakables to a shelf. Great stuff.
Most cat owners know about this stuff. It is great, even for a very curious and jumpy cat.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:01 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Most cat owners know about this stuff. It is great, even for a very curious and jumpy cat.
How do they get to the kitty litter?

Old 08-10-2012, 03:53 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
My sister lost her front teeth to a dresser. We were packing to go on vacation and she had the drawers open. She decided to throw a fit and sat, hard, on the floor. That was all that dresser needed to come over on top of her and break her front teeth off at the gumline. Needless to say, we did not go on vacation after all.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:06 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
When my son was born we bought furniture for the nursery. A quality made dresser made of solid wood. I tested the dresser out at the store with all the drawers open. It didn't budge. Still didnt mean if my son stood in one of the drawers it wouldn't topple over. We strapped the dresser to the wall. I worked in daycares and preschools and saw kids do some pretty outrageous stuff so I was prepared myself. Low and behold I get a kid that had zero interest in climbing, laid back and so on. Still though I take that stuff seriously. My biggest concern was TV's and stoves after that. Many people do not strap their stoves to the wall. I actually saw a stove pitch forward at a relatives house when she had a 25 lb turkey pulled out. That was scary.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:30 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
We have a stereo in our living room. An actual rack type thing (yes, considered old fashioned but we can't find a shelf one that sounds anything like it!) in one of those stereo cabinets. There is a turntable on top. We covered the front with posterboard so the glass wouldn't smash and congratulated ourselves for our safety measures. The other day I came up from the basement and our two year old was sitting on top of the turntable like it was an easy chair. I don't know how any kids live to make it to adulthood even with anchored furniture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting