Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:42 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Smothering the baby or baring all are not the only options.

And Part of breast feeding is being able to see your baby. I never put a blanket over my daughter when she was breastfeeding like she was doing something shameful. Your need to not know if someone is breastfeeding or not is the deciding factor on breastfeeding. Get over it already. Lots of us have breastfed without smothering our children without showing anything other than for a split second while latching on.

Seriously, would you like to have a blanket over your head while you eat?
And if you choose to make a big display out of it -- Whoa everyone look at me!!!!! -- then you should also accept that the public is free to have an opinion of your big show you're providing them. It's not that you want to see your baby breastfeed -- you want everyone around you to see it breastfeed, and people are free to have their opinions and even complaints.

Again, those who want to avoid a public scene do that, have always been doing that.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:45 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And if you choose to make a big display out of it -- Whoa everyone look at me!!!!! -- then you should also accept that the public is free to have an opinion of your big show you're providing them. It's not that you want to see your baby breastfeed -- you want everyone around you to see it breastfeed, and people are free to have their opinions and even complaints.

Again, those who want to avoid a public scene do that, have always been doing that.
Based on your own posts if anyone even KNOWS that a baby is breastfeeding the mother is not being "discrete". That is plain old unreasonable.

Luckily, your opinion is all you have because it is perfectly legal never the less.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
This thread has been rather enlightening. I've learned a) people like to say because one person did something, that must mean all breastfeeders do that. I wonder what would happen if *I* did that to anything. One person in Florida is a moron, so they all must be! See how easy that jump was??

b) there are a lot of uptight people here

c) I'm glad I dont live anywhere near you people that think like that.
I grew up in a breastfeeding family -- I've seen breastfeeding done all my life, but what I didn't see was it being made into such a public show as is done today.

These women didn't invent breastfeeding. Again, if you don't want to make a show of it, you simply don't make a show of it. But if you don't make a show of it, people don't even notice or care, they might not even give you a look. It's more about exhibitionism. Women have been breastfeeding babies in public forever -- they just didn't make a big display about it.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:49 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,365 times
Quote:
I grew up in a breastfeeding family -- I've seen breastfeeding done all my life, but what I didn't see was it being made into such a public show as is done today.

These women didn't invent breastfeeding. Again, if you don't want to make a show of it, you simply don't make a show of it. But if you don't make a show of it, people don't even notice or care, they might not even give you a look. It's more about exhibitionism. Women have been breastfeeding babies in public forever -- they just didn't make a big display about it.
I've never seen it made into a "public show" ever. I really think you're exaggerating, but i really dont care what you think either way.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:

And you are making that statement, by your own admission, based on exactly two women.

Yes, that is completely reasonable.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
And you are making that statement, by your own admission, based on exactly two women.

Yes, that is completely reasonable.
Yes -- because face it -- no one is going over to a woman and yanking off a rebozo or light blanket or towel to see if shes breastfeeding, it's only when she chooses to make it into some public scene that people might complain.

And sure -- it's legal for her to make a scene but it's also legal for people to complain about it or even to ask to have another table. You can place your baby right on the table in the restaurant and change it's dirty diaper in full public view -- that may be legal but no one has to like or approve of it and they're free to complain if they wish.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:14 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but those two women who you referred to earlier who showed more skin then necessary while breastfeeding hardly represent the vast majority of women who breastfeed in public today.

Last edited by Dorthy; 08-14-2012 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-14-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Yes -- because face it -- no one is going over to a woman and yanking off a rebozo or light blanket or towel to see if shes breastfeeding, it's only when she chooses to make it into some public scene that people might complain.

And sure -- it's legal for her to make a scene but it's also legal for people to complain about it or even to ask to have another table. You can place your baby right on the table in the restaurant and change it's dirty diaper in full public view -- that may be legal but no one has to like or approve of it and they're free to complain if they wish.
Actually you have complained that it is only discrete if the baby is covered with a blanket (great in the summer in 90+ temps) and no one "knows" that a baby is being fed. That is as unreasonable as women walking around bare chested. Most of us fell in the middle somewhere. Yes, you might see some flesh if you stare. Yes, for a second, of you are staring, you may see a nipple while the baby is latching on.

But you are the one being unreasonable expecting women to smother their babies with blankets regardless of temperature, just so you don't have to KNOW.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:21 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
Quote:
Exactly the issue, you equate breasts as primarily sexual objects. Well biologically they are primarily for feeding babies. You need to stop having an emotional, sexual reaction to breast. Because your hang ups do not negate the right to feed a hungry a baby.
So, if your male boss decided he wanted to rub up against your breast, you wouldn't file a claim for sexual harrassment - since the breast (in your opinion) isn't a sexual object. Right? And if he decided he wanted to breastfeed from you, you wouldn't object, since he just wants something to eat, right? I mean, you could tell him no, you don't want to share your food with him - as is your prerogative. But it wouldn't be a big deal for him to ask, no more of a big deal than, say, if he had asked if he could take a bite of your sandwich.

Right?

Old 08-14-2012, 09:32 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:

I used to travel around in Mexico on buses and trains, and you could be sitting with a woman for hours and never even know she had a baby with her much less was feeding the baby the whole time. They would use "rebozos" a strip of cloth and you never saw even the baby much less her bare breasts. Several times well into a long distant trip out would come a happy contented little baby -- no big public display of any kind was made the whole time.
I've had that same experience. (And it's VERY hot in parts of Mexico in the summer.)

Hispanic women in So Cal do the same thing. You rarely notice they're breastfeeding. If you're in the mall with both Hispanics and Anglos I think you're much more likely to notice an Anglo woman breastfeeding. Maybe Anglos are more open and vocal about it? Hmmm. Ain't that interesting. Something to ponder for the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting