Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2012, 04:25 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times

Advertisements

So because the world isn't perfect we shouldn't aim for good behavior? Again, as parents, it's our responsibility to model good behavior. Perhaps if more adults did, each generation would grow up more respectful than the previous one.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearly6 View Post
Kids are only ultra sensitive because their mothers make them so.

Goodness, do I disagree with this.

Alas, my response would take the thread to Outer Mongolia and earn me "the look" from our Fearless Moderator.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:00 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,662 times
Quote:
So am I. It wasn't a crime. Children aren't so fragile that they break when someone interrupts them, or at least they shouldn't be.

You said yourself that you are 23. You still think that the world should be ideal. It never will be. People are rude, we all are at one time or another. All kids still have a lot of growing to do. They don't let things bother them the same way adults do. People who are new to adulthood have the ideals of a child and will learn in time that with the responsibilities of adulthood, we are not as perfect as you would like. Things don't always turn out perfectly.

You don't know the dynamics of the family you are scewering. You don't know the relationship of the grandmother to the boy, yet you sit in judgement along with everyone else who is condemning the grandmother for interrupting. It was a moment in time; nothing more. It won't make or break the grandmother OR the grandson. The boy, more than likely, chatted all the way home.
Don't tell me what I think the world should be, , I'm more than aware that this world isn't perfect,I posted this thread to get people's opinions on the subject matter, not to be told what I believe.
The fact of the story was that the grandmother interrupted the kid as if he was not talking, and then the mother and grandmother both ganged up on him in front of everybody subjecting him to being embarrassed in front of everyone in the interested, you don't think that won't hurt his feelings? When he did nothing wrong?

Old 08-18-2012, 05:20 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Kids are only ultra sensitive because their mothers make them so.
Please forgive me for veering off topic, but this simply isn't true. Emotional sensitivity (in children or adults) is on a spectrum - people have more or less of the trait from birth. It's part of temperament, which is both genetically and biologically based.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:20 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I meant this: We should all be respected and given the chance at forgiveness, but if someone is continuing to disrespect me, i will no longer respect them. Yes, I did seem hypocritical, but that's what i meant.

People are using the word respect as a blanket thing that encompasses way more than I think it does. Where does forgiveness come in to any discussion of respect?

Old 08-18-2012, 06:33 PM

105 posts, read 106,326 times
Quote:
Don't tell me what I think the world should be, , I'm more than aware that this world isn't perfect,I posted this thread to get people's opinions on the subject matter, not to be told what I believe.
The fact of the story was that the grandmother interrupted the kid as if he was not talking, and then the mother and grandmother both ganged up on him in front of everybody subjecting him to being embarrassed in front of everyone in the interested, you don't think that won't hurt his feelings? When he did nothing wrong?
Again, you don't know the dynamics of this family, nor do you know the relationship of the grandmother to the grandson. Who are you to decide whether she was wrong or right? So what if she interrupted him? So what? What difference does that make in the bigger picture? NONE WHATSOEVER. I'll bet she spanked his mother when she was young, too. SO WHAT?

Now you're sounding like they crucified the boy in front of the masses. You're making this bigger than it really was. "Ganged up on".. LOL, they didn't take off his shirt and whip him.

Grow up.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Again, you don't know the dynamics of this family, nor do you know the relationship of the grandmother to the grandson. Who are you to decide whether she was wrong or right? So what if she interrupted him? So what? What difference does that make in the bigger picture? NONE WHATSOEVER. I'll bet she spanked his mother when she was young, too. SO WHAT?

Now you're sounding like they crucified the boy in front of the masses. You're making this bigger than it really was. "Ganged up on".. LOL, they didn't take off his shirt and whip him.

Grow up.
Maybe you should read the title of this thread: "Should parents be expected to Respect their children" Then read the story.
No, I do not know the dynamics of this family, but I was there to witness this one occasion. That's what I'm basing this on.
Tell me that it wouldn't be embarrassing to be called out in front of random people at a restaurant?

They mother yelled at him loud enough for most to hear, that wouldn't cause embarrassment? Especially when he did nothing wrong? Wouldn't you be embarrassed?

No, you grow up and realize that he has feelings, whether you feel it's no big deal or not.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
So because the world isn't perfect we shouldn't aim for good behavior? Again, as parents, it's our responsibility to model good behavior. Perhaps if more adults did, each generation would grow up more respectful than the previous one.
More respectful than the previous? Are you joking? When I was growing up, there was a tremendous amount of respect. Kids weren't the center of the universe either. We grew up knowing right from wrong and nobody made excuses for us when we did wrong.

We called adults Mr. and Mrs. no matter who they were. Kids are no longer taught that. Kids are taught that they are equal to adults. THEY ARE NOT. Exactly WHAT direction is humanity going in? In my opinion, it's going south.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
More respectful than the previous? Are you joking? When I was growing up, there was a tremendous amount of respect. Kids weren't the center of the universe either. We grew up knowing right from wrong and nobody made excuses for us when we did wrong.

We called adults Mr. and Mrs. no matter who they were. Kids are no longer taught that. Kids are taught that they are equal to adults. THEY ARE NOT. Exactly WHAT direction is humanity going in? In my opinion, it's going south.
Nobody ever said that kids are equal to adults. Back when you grew up, parents weren't calling their child bi*ches and all types of names when they cried or wanted something to eat. Back then, parents made sure their kids had clothes before the parents did. Back then, parents put their children first and also taught them to be respectful, now kids are left to run themselves and that's proving to be wrong.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Nobody ever said that kids are equal to adults. Back when you grew up, parents weren't calling their child bi*ches and all types of names when they cried or wanted something to eat. Back then, parents made sure their kids had clothes before the parents did. Back then, parents put their children first and also taught them to be respectful, now kids are left to run themselves and that's proving to be wrong.
See, that's where you're so very wrong. Parents did NOT put their children first. They took care of their children, but they did not make them the center of their universe like they are now. We learned by the hand and were expected to be respectful to adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting