Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 01:04 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
The Grandmother and Mother are "old school". Again while clearly not some people's "cup of tea" the practice of "Children should be seen and not heard" was a successful one, and had worked for many years before. Not everyone adheres to today's thinking of "everything children have to say is either cute, or so important that adults should stop, listen, and hang on to every word they say, because if we don't any future bad behavior will be our fault.
I think your missing the whole point of what happened. The Grandmother interpreted the child without saying excuse me. Why have kids if you don't want to listen to what they say? That's the problem now, not enough parents listen. So kids only want someone to talk to. I'm quite sure that the grandmother could have waited to speak, or atleast said excuse me. See not heard sucks. Not everything that an adult says is important. Not all adults are important and now all adults are smart. Children need to be heard as well. Not treated as if they don't matter because of their age.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:35 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Back in the olden days when I was a teenager, I was a waitress and when I went out to eat, I tipped well if I had the money. There were adult waitresses that gave our group bad service and then were upset because I would leave them a penny tip. Guess what just because you are are an adult, you don't get to give bad service to your customers who happen to be young.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:39 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearly6 View Post
That's simply not true. It's only the last generation or two who think kids are the center of the universe and treat them as such. They're not. Growing up in my generation and for generations before, kids kept their mouths shut when adults were conversing. We KNEW not to interrupt and we didn't join in adult conversation and KNEW BETTER NOT TO. My kids sat quietly when they were at a table with adults unless they were asked to join a conversation because that's how I taught them. We all grew up with good manners and respectful to our elders, much more so than kids today. They are the most disrespectful generation I've seen.
Thats nice for you.

I know a family socially whose daughter was in my class. She was very smart and completely incapable of functioning in a school environment. Once on a test, she spent an hour erasing an answer completely and did not answer any of the rest of the question. She failed out of our school.

At home, during dinner, if V or her sister wanted to make a comment while the adults were talking, they had to raise their hands. Those kids were supremely polite, reespectful, and completely lacking in both self confidence and empowerment.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:10 PM

105 posts, read 106,326 times
Kids growing up in today's world have such a huge sense of entitlement and equality to adults, but when they get to be adult age, they still behave like children but want all the perks of being an adult. Kids are also too comfortable thinking they can be a part of the adult world. There are no manners, no respect and no consideration, just entitlement. They call adults by their first names and expect to be a part of adult conversation.

CHILDREN ARE NOT ADULTS.

The child in the OP was about 11? That's old enough to know when it's respectful to be quiet. Also, the conversation may have been a little slanted since it was a young person relaying it. We don't know for certain how it all went.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:16 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Kids growing up in today's world have such a huge sense of entitlement and equality to adults, but when they get to be adult age, they still behave like children but want all the perks of being an adult. Kids are also too comfortable thinking they can be a part of the adult world. There are no manners, no respect and no consideration, just entitlement. They call adults by their first names and expect to be a part of adult conversation.

CHILDREN ARE NOT ADULTS.

The child in the OP was about 11? That's old enough to know when it's respectful to be quiet. Also, the conversation may have been a little slanted since it was a young person relaying it. We don't know for certain how it all went.
Children are not accessories like little purse dogs carried around in designer handbags as decorations. There is a vast area between children who are not permitted to speak in the presence of adults and children who think and behave as if the world revolves around them. My job as a parent is to teach them proper behavior. The most effective way to do this is to teach them how to navigate social behavior in a way that is courteous and respectful both by my example and by encouraging them to participate appropriately.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:21 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:

CHILDREN ARE NOT ADULTS.

Assuming the scenario went exactly as posted, is an 11 year old out with his mother and grandmother not supposed to speak at any point in the day out of respect for his grandmother? Do you know how ridiculous that is?

Yes, people should respect each other. Now, I do not really think this particular scenario is a big deal at all. Grandparents get a few passes for stuff like this, especially due to issues related to aging like hearing loss (maybe gram didn't even hear the grandson talking) and absentmindedness.

That being said, seen and not heard, teaches children they do not matter. Entitlement, while a problem, does not come just from being polite. And even adults should be polite to children.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
I've become convinced I live in some sort of geographical/social oddity because I'm surrounded by kids who have good manners, show respect, are considerate, say please and thank you and are pleasant to be around.

I've even observed them chewing with their mouths closed.

Weird.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've become convinced I live in some sort of geographical/social oddity because I'm surrounded by kids who have good manners, show respect, are considerate, say please and thank you and are pleasant to be around.

Weird.
Yes -- I don't really think most kids are all that bad or hard to be around.

I actually like kids a lot more now then I did when I was a kid. They make me laugh but it's also interesting to hear their take on things. Kids at age 11 can be quite interesting to talk with, they have ideas and their own perspective on things.

Like him saying he liked the subway -- he probably had all interesting reasons why he liked it but they didn't want to find them out. Someday he may just write them off too, not want to consider what they might have to say because of the age barrier they themselves made.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:12 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,662 times
Quote:

CHILDREN ARE NOT ADULTS.

Your being ridiculous right now. You take a child out to eat and the entire time he cannot speak because two adults are sitting there? The little boy waited until they were quiet and then spoke about something he loved. Your way of parenting will cause a child to rebel because not enough parents are listening to their child, now they are becoming more and more socially withdrawn which i bet will cause to withdraw from participating in school/speaking with friends and just developing basic development skills.

A young person should be able to speak at the dinner table or speak out at lunch, if that's not the case, why bring him? The little boy was discussing how he enjoyed the subway ride there. If Adults expect from children, then they have to give it to them. This is why, when kids get older and turn into teenagers, they rebel. Being told to shutup for having opinion is a unfair/injustice way of taking a way a child's livelihood. Children are not little dolls,they aren't hear for you to control. You don't own them, you teach them and raise them into intelligent young men and woman.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:19 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Weird.
Agree. I'm beginning to wonder if the people who complain so much about "kids these days" actually interact with real live ones on a daily basis or just go off of what they see on t.v........ because I don't see what they are seeing. See quite the opposite actually.

I am so glad I didn't tell my son to zip it when he was little and loved talking about airplanes, space, rockets, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting