Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 01:58 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,855,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Shop around. When we did, progressive was by far the most expensive. It was about 150% more than State Farm, but we bundle our insurance. However they were quite a bit more expensive than anyone. Someone has to pay for all those funny ads on TV.

If you bundle our insurance (Home, cars, boat umbrella), you will get significant discounts from the companies that can issue insurance for everything (progressive does not insure homes).
It is very difficult to bundle in FL. Most of the major insurers do not write home policies here. Most of the insurers that write home policies here do not offer auto insurance.

Home insurance in Fl is another insurance scam. We lived in our last home for 10 years and we had no claims even after several hurricanes that hit our area. The eye of Wilma passed through the town where we were living. We did not have enough damage to file a claim (there is a 2% deductible for hurricanes). Yet our insurance was dropped and the policy we got to replace it was double the cost of the prior one.

We shopped the insurance around a few years ago and Progressive was the least expensive at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Too many people see car insurance as purely a negative.
I think this is because the insurance companies charge ridiculous rates and then never want to pay when you need them.

Take young men. Everyone knows that the insurance rates for young men are crazy expensive. I am sure that as a group young men are more reckless than women their own age and more reckless than older men.

They are charged ridiculous rates from the first minute they are behind the wheel. If they have an accident or ticket their rates go up even more and they go up right away. However, if they are safe drivers they pay inflated rates for NINE YEARS!!!!!! So if he gets in an accident his rates go up right away but if he is a safe driver it takes nine years for his rate to go down? No wonder people see insurance companies as negative.

This whole idea of a $300 discount on a $3000 premium for a kid who is living 1200 miles away from home for 9 months is another ripoff. He is gone from the house for 75% of the year but they give a 10% discount? Seriously?

Old 08-16-2012, 11:49 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,178,792 times
As a male it sucks - but it is what it is .... I'm a high risk group ... if my group didn't have so many losses then I wouldn't have such a premium

Rates have to be developed on data an cannot be discriminatory - which can be bad when you want to discriminate yourself from your more wreckless peer group

Old 08-17-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
As a male it sucks - but it is what it is .... I'm a high risk group ... if my group didn't have so many losses then I wouldn't have such a premium

Rates have to be developed on data an cannot be discriminatory - which can be bad when you want to discriminate yourself from your more wreckless peer group
But what about the idea that a young male pays high rates from day 1, has the rates increase immediately if they get a ticket, but don't go down for 9 years? Does that seem crazy to you?

Old 03-20-2013, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 5,548 times
If he uses a rental truck to bring his things home and he is not on your insurance, make sure he knows to buy the rental insurance offered. Our son failed to buy it thinking he was covered under our insurance. He accidently hit a hotel overhang with the truck during his move and now Penske wants $7,000. It is a terrible price to pay for a young guy just out of college, looking for a job.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:04 PM

10 posts, read 18,662 times
join triple aa, and u will save on everything.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:35 PM

297 posts, read 501,504 times
You just have to shop it around. Rates in FL vary a lot from company to company. With clean records, I have been seeing some good rates from Hartford. Progressive has gotten expensive over the years. I think it's all the advertising they are doing.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2012 View Post
You just have to shop it around. Rates in FL vary a lot from company to company. With clean records, I have been seeing some good rates from Hartford. Progressive has gotten expensive over the years. I think it's all the advertising they are doing.
Update: We just changed from Progressive to GEICO. Progressive wanted $5600 per six months for 3 drivers, 4 cars. GEICO will be $5300 per YEAR and insure all 4 drivers on the same 4 cars. Rates are based on where the cars are kept so our insurance should go down further when the college student takes a car to Ohio where rates are lower.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:55 PM

297 posts, read 501,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Update: We just changed from Progressive to GEICO. Progressive wanted $5600 per six months for 3 drivers, 4 cars. GEICO will be $5300 per YEAR and insure all 4 drivers on the same 4 cars. Rates are based on where the cars are kept so our insurance should go down further when the college student takes a car to Ohio where rates are lower.
No, they will rate the car where it is registered unless the alternate garaging is within the same state. You will have to register the car in OH to get the OH rate.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:35 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,680,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It pays to shop around. Glad you found a policy that works for you.

We switched the other way. Geico refused to acknowledge that my daughter living over an hour away at college wasn't coming home every night to drive my car. She had to have her own policy and even when I showed them that freshman are not allowed cars on campus they still wouldn't let me take her off my policy. I then said she would surrender her license since she doesn't drive except summers and they still said no. Progressive has a policy specifically for college students who come home and drive on vacations. MUCH cheaper for us. For three adults (my mother is on my policy) living in the home full time, 2 college students living on campus and three cars (two with full coverage) in the most expensive state to insure we are only paying $2200.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting