Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:49 AM

119 posts, read 517,773 times

Advertisements

I have 3 young children, age 4 (almost 5), 3 and 7 months. I keep waiting for the terrible 2's to get over with! I know I have teenage years to deal with, please tell me there's some ease in parenting in the in between time! LOL!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 11:54 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times
So good to read your update and see that your son is learning about what life in the real world as an adult is going to be like.

Good job, Mom & Dad!

Old 02-27-2008, 12:41 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times
Oh Q..I love the ENDING to your story that I have watched since I joined CDF...You never know how things will turn out but somehow they do.

Good for you, your husband and of course your son.........

Old 04-19-2009, 07:50 PM

59 posts, read 144,339 times
There is a song I think of when times are tough with the kids.
"You Only Hurt The Ones You Love", it is the safest for you. You know, deep down, you will be accepted no matter what; by your family and friends.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:59 PM

81 posts, read 272,765 times
I'm curious as to what started this- or was it just spontaneous?

Old 04-20-2009, 01:12 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconzemius View Post
I have 3 young children, age 4 (almost 5), 3 and 7 months. I keep waiting for the terrible 2's to get over with! I know I have teenage years to deal with, please tell me there's some ease in parenting in the in between time! LOL!!
Believe me.....the 2's are just the tip of the iceburg. This is the easy part.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:09 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,160,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitaryCampMom View Post
Wow this seems like ages ago.
This began with the teenage attitude and some adjustment issues with relocating. Also, his beliefs of his friends "always going to be there for him".
It was hard to do on my part, but in the end, he learned who was going to be there for him and it wasn't his friends.

Times have changed.
He is now working with his father. They do a lot of traveling and must be away from the comforts of home.

He has made me proud. Last weekend was his first cross state trip alone. He came home to move his stuff out of his house he rented. Dad was already here. So my son had to drive 6 hours to get here, alone. He had to leave Sunday to be back at work today. Again he made the trip alone and did fine. He was nervous and called several times , for a pep talk.
It broke my heart to see that my baby is actually a grown man now. When he pulled out of the yard yesterday to make the trip, I about cried.

He has his own place in S.Florida and is doing very well with his work ethics and responsibilities. He has gotten 3 raises in 8 months.

Now when he asks for advise, he actually listens.
Yes, I have heard the "YOU WERE RIGHT, MOM " several times recently. And best of all the "I WISH I WOULD OF LISTENED TO YOU".

I guess what I want to say is, teenage years are definitely tough but they do grow out of it. Seems like it takes forever, but in hind sight it seems like yesterday.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:19 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,160,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitaryCampMom View Post
See post #27
Explains it pretty well.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:58 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
OP - Im now a parent of a 6 and 10 year old, but remembering back to the tumultous teen years - beg him to stay - unless there is something so toxic that he needs to go- whether he stays or not, he needs to know that you fought for him to stay. Pour out your heart to him - even if it seems he isnt listening - he is and despite the choices he makes, he will not forget. Its hard being a parent - its harder being a teen. Good luck to you both.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:17 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
its harder being a teen

Just wait.......you'd be surprised at how hard it is. When you are a teen, things are hard - so much expectations from so many people - you want to be on your own, you have so many conflicting emotions....When you are a parent - you see the sweet child whom you love so much go through all of this and there are some things you can't protect them from. And there are hard lessons you must let them learn. It is heartbreaking. And frustrating, and anger-inducing. It is also extremely scary because you KNOW what one bad decision can lead to. They kind of know - you've told them, they've heard it but their brains just don't process that it CAN happen to them. Even if they are mostly good. Even if, even if, even if.....It's very hard to balance the fine line of knowing what to let them learn from experience and what not to. Which decision they will grow from and which will go horribly wrong.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting