Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 09:14 PM

83 posts, read 105,735 times

Advertisements

Growing up a bus came by every Sunday and all the kids would go to church minus the parents....,,we did alot of fun things also, it was great. It was almost like camp every sunday with older camp counselors. I loved it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 09:19 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
(To aspentree. Sorry, forgot to quote you and I can't fix it at the moment.)

Well said. Family rituals take many forms. If our Sundays were devoted to serving others and, say, working in a food pantry (as my husband and daughter will be doing this weekend), and a teenager said, "I don't really enjoy this, it's not doing anything for me personally, and I don't feel any kinder or more grateful," what should we tell this child? Ok, kiddo?

Old 08-21-2012, 09:24 PM

83 posts, read 105,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

Well said. Family rituals take many forms. If our Sundays were devoted to serving others and, say, working in a food pantry (as my husband and daughter will be doing this weekend), and a teenager said, "I don't really enjoy this, it's not doing anything for me personally, and I don't feel any kinder or more grateful," what should we tell this child? Ok, kiddo?
Yes,,,I wouldn't push a teen to do something they felt did nothing for them. Let some years go by and they might change their mind about it.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:33 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

Well In the long run, what's the more important subject here?

Your child doesn't believe In God ?
Or Keeping the family ritual? That's what I'd like to know.

I'm talking about Church. I don't think this subject can really be compared to anything.

Honestly, If My child came to me and said he didn't believe in God, can he stop going to church, I'd respect that opinion.

As I keep saying and people seem to mention the big picture: Church is to hear the word of God and develop a better relationship with God.

Tell me, how can you develop a relationship with something you don't believe in? Oh, I wouldn't leave him home doing nothing, I'd assign chores or make them cook breakfast, but forcing religious beliefs on a child is a no, no.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:37 PM

442 posts, read 615,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post

I'm talking about Church. I don't think this subject can really be compared to anything.

Honestly, If My child came to me and said he didn't believe in God, can he stop going to church, I'd respect that opinion.

As I keep saying and people seem to mention the big picture: Church is to hear the word of God and develop a better relationship with God.

Tell me, how can you develop a relationship with something you don't believe in? Oh, I wouldn't leave him home doing nothing, I'd assign chores or make them cook breakfast, but forcing religious beliefs on a child is a no, no.
What if your child doesn't want to cook breakfast or do chores...what if he could care less if the lawn was mowed or he didn't like to eat breakfast.

You used the argument that once a child had reached the age of reason, we shouldn't force him to participate in things he would rather not. I'm not sure how you can assign your age of reason argument to church and only church.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:41 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:

I think you are the exception.

Judging by most of the posts, church is just another supervised activity like soccer, baseball or even ballet. Because it has no real meaning to these posters, the fact that a young person has decided they do not believe in god is of no importance. What is important is the family ritual devoid of spiritual meaning though it may be.

I was amused when one poster stated that their MIL expected them to go to Mass and they did. Another example of the ritual at work. Just as some people get married in church, show up for a few weeks to show the priest/pastor they are 'serious' and then never darken the doors again.

It is a crushing hypocrisy. Young people are not stupid. They can see through it.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:43 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspentree View Post
What if your child doesn't want to cook breakfast or do chores...what if he could care less if the lawn was mowed or he didn't like to eat breakfast.

You used the argument that once a child had reached the age of reason, we shouldn't force him to participate in things he would rather not. I'm not sure how you can assign your age of reason argument to church and only church.
Because for that poster, going to church is not just another family activity like cooking breakfast. It actually has a real spiritual meaning.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:49 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspentree View Post

Your Missing my point. If your child believes in God, drag him to Church every week.
Yet, I think it should be at least negotiable if your child does not.
Your taking your child to church to learn about God. This is exactly why atheist have such rude views toward religion.
Everytime you force your child to go to church knowing they don't believe in God, your saying
"I don't care about what your opinions and beliefs are, your going because I'm the parent and I say so"
It's this attitude that causes children to rebel.

Church is for YOU to feel closer to God, and if you don't what's the purpose of going? Can you answer that?
If you don't believe in what they are saying and sitting in the pews with a long face, tell me what is the point of going? That's all I want to know.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:03 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
I totally disagree. When I was about 14, I had conflicting views on whether I believed In God, I needed time to think it over and I was lucky to have parents that were understanding who didn't force me to go while i was thinking it over. I am now a happy catholic and go to church faithfully. It's good to have you parents back whatever decision you make.

On the topic at hand, again, if your child tells you that he doesn't believe in God, would you still make him go?

I think many of you are saying yes, for the sole reason that you feel obligated, nobody has respect for the child's opinion. What a sad world we live in.
So?

When I was 14, I had conflicting views on whether I believed in formal education and schools. My parents didn't allow it to be an option. When I was 8, I had conflicting views punching the lights out of siblings. My parents weren't understanding and didn't allow me to whatever the hell I pleased.

It's up to the parents. If the parents aren't particularly religious, the kid will probably not learn about church or religion at all, if the parents do have a religious belief, then they will raise their child with a religion. It's all luck of the draw you might say.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:14 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embarrassed123 View Post
I think every young person, meaning anyone over 14 or so, should learn to start questioning their beliefs and find out what they want. Usually they aren't ready for that at that age, so going to church they sit there and don't listen anyway. So no, young people should not be forced to go to church with their parents. They need to learn to make their own decision on what to believe. Best of luck!
Going to church even when you really want to just lay in bed all Sunday morning doesn't prevent you from thinking or questioning. You can do that just as easily as you can laying in bed -- so don't worry -- there is no mind control going on.

The kids are part of their family and can learn the family's traditions and beliefs. Otherwise, why not just put them in orphanages and let them figure everything out for themselves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting