Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:27 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't feel good about hitting my kid, but I do have to say that the increase in school discipline breakdown has coincided with this new coddling parenting style (everyone wins, no losers, no keeping score, no spanking, fake self-esteem, etc).

I have a LOT of friends who are teachers (and have been for a long time), and instead of parents and teachers working together to correct the child's behavior, they are getting a lot of crap from parents. Little Taylor can do no wrong and how dare you suggest it to be so?
My mom is a teacher and has been for almost 30 years. She always will say the amount of support she and her fellow teachers receive from parents has dropped dramatically from when she first started until now. Instead of parents listening to what the teacher has to say, they start right in that they are wrong and their child is right. Teachers are not out to get your child. If they are acting up, they are acting up. If they are not doing their work, they are not doing their work. If they have just barely been coasting by all term/semester, putting in limited effort and not doing their assignments, they should be allowed to do extra credit at the end like some parents have asked my Mom to allow.

What teachers really want to tell parents - CNN.com

I also think some parents either don't put the time in at home to make sure their kids are doing their homework, studying for tests and doing projects, or give their kids way too much leeway in terms of their school performance. If your child gets a C, encourage them to do better. Even if it's a tough class, letting them know that they should always shoot for better is a good thing. I also think some kids aren't given tough love from their parents. Kids need to know that sometimes doing the bare minimum is not enough in life.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:58 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
And if the 17yr old even thought of striking back they were on the way out before the spanking.

Parents are getting soft, this anti-spanking and not keeping score at games is total nonsense.
but you will give then an inferiority complex they will see themselves as losers.

No your telling them that they don't even have to try or do their best and they will still get a reward.

All of you watch the Olympics, where the best got the reward and the rest did not get a participation medal.
(see a double standard?)

Now your kid knows that they can do a time out while standing on their heads.
You send them to school, with no real consequences for acting out, they do.
It's not the teachers job to discipline your kid.
That should have been done at home.
So agree with this.....I was raised on spankings. The rules were simple DON'T misbehave........ cracks belt

Old 08-22-2012, 12:01 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,662 times
I think I better say my piece before the mod closes this,

If you expect to spank a 17 year old, then something is wrong here. There are other ways to deal with teenagers. I can't see spanking a teenager, it makes no sense what so ever, unless you use a belt, but that's just abuse.
To actually spank a 17 year old and expect them not to rebel back is not even normal and i agree with the moderator when she says it's just for the sake of hitting you.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:11 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Likely the 17yo would just wallop him back.
If that was likely to happen, there are problems in the relationship that a spanking wouldn't fix.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:12 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
If that was likely to happen, there are problems in the relationship that a spanking wouldn't fix.

Yes. The problem being the expectation that a 17yo should just take it when someone hits them.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
And I say that if your kid is 17 and you are still resorting to spanking as a way to get your point across, you need to try something else.
Why, if that's what works best in a particular home?

Old 08-22-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
If you expect to spank a 17 year old, then something is wrong here. There are other ways to deal with teenagers. I can't see spanking a teenager, it makes no sense what so ever, unless you use a belt, but that's just abuse.
It may make sense in a particular family at a particular time. I don't go around preaching to parents of teenagers who've never been spanked that they ought to invest in a paddle. But in some families, corporal punishment is just an ingrained part of the "justice system" for lack of a better term.

Spanking with a belt may appear to you as abuse, but the relevant criminal child abuse laws do not define it that way. See for instance Cobble v. Massachusetts DSS.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:46 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
My mom is a teacher and has been for almost 30 years. She always will say the amount of support she and her fellow teachers receive from parents has dropped dramatically from when she first started until now. Instead of parents listening to what the teacher has to say, they start right in that they are wrong and their child is right. Teachers are not out to get your child. If they are acting up, they are acting up. If they are not doing their work, they are not doing their work. If they have just barely been coasting by all term/semester, putting in limited effort and not doing their assignments, they should be allowed to do extra credit at the end like some parents have asked my Mom to allow.

What teachers really want to tell parents - CNN.com

I also think some parents either don't put the time in at home to make sure their kids are doing their homework, studying for tests and doing projects, or give their kids way too much leeway in terms of their school performance. If your child gets a C, encourage them to do better. Even if it's a tough class, letting them know that they should always shoot for better is a good thing. I also think some kids aren't given tough love from their parents. Kids need to know that sometimes doing the bare minimum is not enough in life.
I don't disagree with most of what you are saying (I also have teachers in the family), but surely you aren't advocating corporal punishment in schools?

Old 08-22-2012, 12:49 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:

I cannot even begin to imagine what the goal is if striking a 17yo "works" to achieve it.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:52 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,393 times
Quote:
It's NOT working, if it hasn't worked in 17 years. No way should an almost adult child need a spanking, and if they do, you should have tried another method a long, long time ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.