Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 01:48 AM

941 posts, read 1,803,528 times

Advertisements

This child is quite a hyper little fella. Just a couple of skittles DOES set him off (in a big way),
and since it does I spoke with the teacher and the classroom assistants about it.

If you had an issue like this where you specifically made a request would you then waffles on yourself
and say "aw, its fine the child acts like a crazy person.. I'll just go with the flow and be submissive?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 04:37 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times
3 skittles? That's less than a teaspoon of sugar. Pretty harmless. More sugar than that in a juicebox or a piece of fruit.

Kids are going to be exposed to candy and junk foods all their lives. You have a lot of influence until the child leaves home. Then the child will make his/her own choices. And they won't always be the best choices either. No matter how hard you try to teach them. It's not likely your child will be happy taking carrot sticks to the movies with his friends. Maybe it's better to concentrate on moderation, not deprivation.

3 skittles is pretty moderate.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:06 AM

941 posts, read 1,803,528 times
Regardless of what you think of sugar ... case in point..

IF YOU ask someone to please NOT do something... and your paying them... and they do it anyway.

Please do not block the driveway.. but they do, and now you can't get into your own garage.

Please do not leave bag of garbage on the floor.. Sign is taped to the bag. Dogs rip bag, garbage everywhere.

Here's the money for the electric bill, and the stamped envelope. Mail it tomorrow for me.. you get the picture.

I'm just beginning to realize people enjoy being contrary. there you go, have some fun!

Old 08-24-2012, 07:33 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
Does your son get a choice of prize (he can choose the puzzle or the candy, for example), or does an adult just give it to him?

Old 08-24-2012, 07:54 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,920 times
So I take it none of you had candy as young children? And those that did, you're all morbidly obese with psychological and/or behavioral problems as a direct result because of that refined sugar demon?

Old 08-24-2012, 09:17 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,240 times
Sounds like a great teacher. Kids like a little sweet treat. It's normal and it won't kill anyone unless they are eating tons of candy every day.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:51 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourageMom View Post
This child is quite a hyper little fella. Just a couple of skittles DOES set him off (in a big way),
and since it does I spoke with the teacher and the classroom assistants about it.

If you had an issue like this where you specifically made a request would you then waffles on yourself
and say "aw, its fine the child acts like a crazy person.. I'll just go with the flow and be submissive?"
If a parent made a specific request like this I would abide with it.

The parent should tell their child that they requested no candy so that the child doesn't think that the teacher is being mean not to let them have that as a treat. However, I would not take those small candy treats away from all of the other children.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:42 PM

13,413 posts, read 9,945,815 times
I'm with the OP on this one - not re the candy, per se - but a reward and ticket system for kids writing letters etc? For pre k? I don't get that, I think it sets a terrible precedent.

Little kids don't need a material reward every time they do something well. And what about the kids that aren't developmentally able to write well - they don't have as many tickets as the other kids? Pre k shouldn't be a competition, that should be encouraged with kind words and teaching, not candy and trinkets. We don't get a material reward in life every time we do something well, doing something well should be satisfying in its own right.

I absolutely get why a parent wouldn't care for this sort of reward system to be routine.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:53 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,955 times
Everything in moderation a little candy is not going to hurt anyone. More than likely it will put a smile on a child's face, which is not a bad thing.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:53 AM

102 posts, read 312,316 times
I personally find the OP's attitude to be absolutely ridiculous. A small candy treat every two or three weeks isn't paving the way to obesity, hypertension, and diabetes. Let's get real here. Children respond to rewards (as do all humans), so rewarding them for making progress in school seems natural. Sure, we shouldn't award older kids (such as high school students) for minor things like writing neatly, but at such a young age, rewards are pretty much the only way to get children to strive to do their best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting