Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 05:23 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: delete
My mom used to steal my money, or guilt me out of it if she couldn't steal it and blame it on someone else. I lost friends and jobs over her lying to me about other people stealing my money.

Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 12-29-2014 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: your responsse to a deleted post have been deleted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 05:50 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Parents who have to steal from their kids are really pathetic. These are the types who later on wonder why their children never visit or call, or why they can't see their grandchildren.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:03 AM

606 posts, read 903,119 times
A child gets a gift of money in lieu of a physical gift for a birthday or holiday, I've never understood why you would take that away from them. Even to take half and put it in savings, seems wrong to me UNLESS that's what the kid wants to do with it. I understand teaching children about money, encouraging them to save, but money as a gift is still that, a gift. They should be able to buy themselves something with it that they want. Cash is usually given because you don't know what to buy a kid for a physical gift. My kids usually save it up for when they want something big, that's a choice though that they make.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:05 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times
Its one thing to force your kid to save their money but even then give them a little pocket money to do with what they want whether its go see a movie with friends or buy something or go to the mall.

If teh household needs the money to eat or keep utlities on fine but scumbag mom taking the kids money to get her hair done, get a job loser.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:58 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Its one thing to force your kid to save their money but even then give them a little pocket money to do with what they want whether its go see a movie with friends or buy something or go to the mall.

If teh household needs the money to eat or keep utlities on fine but scumbag mom taking the kids money to get her hair done, get a job loser.

I don't agree. It is never a child's responsibility to put food on the table or keep the lights on. That is a parent's job IMO.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:45 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I don't agree. It is never a child's responsibility to put food on the table or keep the lights on. That is a parent's job IMO.
I do totally agree. I think, if it is really dire, and the parents are living off PB sandwiches and not smoking, drinking, buying themselves anything beyond staying alive items. No cable, no extras. Looking for any and all work. Applying for aid as available... and they still need money for food...I wouldn't fault the parent. So often that isn't the case. I had to turn over all my gift money, work money, cash out my savings bonds and even hand over my piggy bank. And my parents smoked, bought foods for them only (like steak) and went out driving and for coffee. That and they refused to work.

It was funny though, my dad insisted we give 75% of our money to him. My mom would say no and they would have huge fights. And 9 times out of 10, she stole or guilted all of it...so she was taking 90%.

I remember how odd it was she would let me open an envelope from a family member sending birthday money and then say in a pseudo-sad voice "you know, we are going to need to use that for the family". When she ran off to buy her cartons of smokes, I should have said the same thing.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:20 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
No, of course not!

Old 12-24-2014, 09:29 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,822,657 times
I perfectly remember my dad going to the bank where all of us kids had small bank accounts,closing them all out and giving us nothing...Karma took hold when his 12 yr old son by his second marriage took $100 bills out of his wallet and left him with NO money.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:44 PM

703 posts, read 870,096 times
That is definitely stupid to do, OP. Parents should not have to rely getting money from their kids to do things. If they didn't have enough money for those things, then they should have never had kids in the first place. These parents are despicable!

Old 12-28-2014, 05:34 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I was on Yahoo Answers and came across some questions and one of them was this.
(This is not my question)

"Whenever I have a birthday,
The money that I get as gifts...my parents use it to buy themselves fast food & to get my mom's hair done and stuff.

They took all $200 of my birthday money ;(

This depresses me. They do this every year.

I just turned sixteen.

If I get a job they'll take that money too.
9 months ago Report Abuse
Additional Details
My parents didn't give me any birthday money.

Other people gave me birthday money & my parents took it." From Yahoo Answers.

So Do You Think it's right for Parents to take their children's money?
I Think Parents should manage their kid's money and help them make good choices, but to all out take it, I find sad.
Again, The scenario is from yahoo answers. I'm 23

My mother did this throughout my whole life (Until I moved out.)

I don't talk to her anymore. Haven't in almost 20yrs.

I don't recommend it to parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting