Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 11:10 AM

304 posts, read 888,481 times

Advertisements

Our oldest (11 years) is starting to ask to have girls over for sleepovers. We're not going to allow her to go or to have girls over, but it was an interesting discussion as parents.

We decided that there were more risks than benefits. And when we spoke to our daughter, the 'sleep/overnight' part wasn't important, it was spending lots of time with her friends. We found other outlets and all are happy.

But we had sleepovers when we were kids and had a ball! Is this one of the experiences that our kids won't have because of the 'big, bad world?'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 11:13 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,183,246 times
No it is an experience that they won't have because you are paranoid!

Old 08-24-2012, 11:16 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
Statistically the risk of something untoward happening to a child is far greater when they are home or sleeping over at Uncle Bob's house.

Yes, my children go on, and love sleepovers. We talk, talk, and talk some more about what may happen, what to do, and then we talk some more.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:17 AM

105 posts, read 106,301 times
Are you serious? What risks are you talking about. Most kids have sleepovers way before the age of 11. Why rob your kids of one of the highlights of childhood?

Old 08-24-2012, 11:26 AM

571 posts, read 1,200,562 times
I was never allowed sleepovers as a kid. At the time, I accepted it because I knew I'd never change my parent's mind. Later, as an adult, I resented that my parents wanted, above all, piece of mind and found it easier to just say no to sleepovers (and most everything else).

Today, I allow sleepovers, although I need to know the parent. I am paranoid and I don't sleep as well when they're not home, but I have to put my lunacies aside and allow them to be kids.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:52 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Sure, we "allowed" out kids to go on sleepovers, and we hosted many.
Way too much fun to ban.

No problems whatsoever.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:59 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLover99 View Post
But we had sleepovers when we were kids and had a ball!

The "big bad world" is only as big and bad as you allow it to be.

Seriously, it's not that much worse than when you were a kid. You just hear more about the crazy stuff because those "news" stories catch the attention of those who won't avoid them. Those stories are called "click bait."

I find it very sad that you would not even consider allowing your child to experience something that is really a fun part of being a kid, something that you admit you loved!! Don't you have any friends or neighbors who you trust enough to let your child stay with for one night??

Your kids have to grow up sometime, and they will have to do it without you by their sides every minute of every day.

The best thing you can do is KNOW the people your kid wants to hang out with, and KNOW the parents. When you go for a sleepover, go inside and talk to the parents about your expectations. Tell your child if there are any problems, they can call you at any time and you will pick them up.

I promise you will cause your child more problems if you NEVER allow him/her to host or attend a sleepover.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:02 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
We allow sleepovers and we host sleepovers. We have to know the families of the kids but we do allow it. I don't think there is a higher risk of anything happening to kids than there was a generation ago. I just think there is more reporting on television.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:06 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,116,345 times
I hated sleepovers when I was a kid. I don't know what we'll do with our son. I'd have to know the parents really well. I'm shocked when I see the stupid things seemingly intelligent adults do and allow so I think I'd be pretty selective.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:06 PM

606 posts, read 943,814 times
We allow it with families we're close to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting